1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The New Stoke City Manager

Discussion in 'Stoke City' started by Smithers, May 21, 2013.

1. jowlermonkey

jowlermonkey Well-Known Member

Excellent news Smithers.

2. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

great to see sparky get his first win today, I hope he is up and running now and he does ok this season while building for the future seasons..

3. Pottermouth 328

Pottermouth 328 Well-Known Member

Nice one Dai
    Good luck on Sunday <ok>

4. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

All n all, very happy with the start of the season and transfer window as a whole. I think he has eased some of the fears we had and in addittion he has had his hands tied with respect to his previous rep at QPR and TP's continued wasting of the Coates Family's good will and nature towards the transfer kitty.

Keep up the good work.

5. Pottermouth 328

Pottermouth 328 Well-Known Member

Totally agree with that Smithers
    IF we win one, lose one away from home this season and it looks like were going to "have a go" I woud be well happy with that. Really pleased with Mark Hughes so far, he did have the experience. My only concern was that certain Stoke players would not or could not adapt. They ALL have keep it going please. I'm sure they will.
    Much more confident now than I was end of last season. KTF

6. Moelfre

Moelfre Member

Mark Hughes has done all that we asked of him with the exception of buying an out and out striker. The trouble is that what we want, costs big money. (Very big money) and none of us would like to see Stoke heavily in debt as a result of spending such an amount. We must, of course, keep our feet on the ground but I think we should support Mr Hughes like never before when we play Manchester City. You never know.
    please log in to view this image

7. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

Hang on...I thought we were £30 million in debt last season?

Has the vastly inflated TV money been used to repay that debt to the Coates family?

IF we had have gotten ridden of Crouch (and his wage bill) as well as Jones (AND his wage bill) we could have/should have taken a punt on the Rhodes lad (for instance). All he does is score goals...geniunely looking forward to omur own 'Der Bomber' whacking them in. Plus the forthcoming Juan in January.

Could be good playing 4-4-2-Juan eh?

8. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Valid point on the loss last season and that probably goes some way to explaining why we have spent so little in this window. I agree with your thoughts on the expense of having both Jones and Crouch on the wage bill - especially as they are typically used in a similiar fashion - but in all honesty that would have left us with Walters and a Rhodes like player. That would be a big risk, but I would envisage a little movement in this area come january if all is going well.

9. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

Fair points Smithers...but they ARE bookies.

Speculate tp accumulate and all that.

10. ProudPotter

ProudPotter Well-Known Member

Was that a reference to the former manager Nick and his wasting of PC's cash or simply a typo!?

11. ricc full

ricc full Well-Known Member

please dont start banging on about conspiracy theories after Coates has spent over £100 million............................................:headbang:

12. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

PP - great spot...obviously a Freudian slip.

13. Moelfre

Moelfre Member

I`m so sorry about my overlooking the £30m loss last year. I bow to your superior knowledge on such matters. I was under the impression that the club account at the bank was in the black. What the £30m loss does is highlight what we are saying.

Why Peter Crouch came in the first case, I don`t know. He is not one of my favourite players and never has been. Perhaps I could tolerate him when he bungled the ball over the goal line occasionally but he doesn`t even do that now. One goal in 26 games I understand so what does get paid for?

Now I have a bob or two to spare. If the Coates family are short of a few quid, we could have a whip round. I`ll start it off by donating a fiver.

14. nickyb

nickyb Well-Known Member

He is much too busy starring in some wretched TV commercial...wait for it playing for a 'dull' team.

Useless git, hope he chokes on the fee.