1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The most beatable WDC: Hamilton vs Vettel

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by El_Bando, May 12, 2019.

?

Would a team mate have a better or worse chance of beating Vettel than they would Hamilton?

1. Better chance against SV

100.0%
  2. Worse chance of beating SV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

I consider Vettel and Alonso more of whiners than Lewis. If they put him on a messed.up strategy or dont pit him when.other behind him pits for fresh rubber he questions the team and complains complains...there is nothing to hate about that. And he is right to make his feeling known, i dont see.that as excessive whining. Lewis was.in Barbados and he seemed to be one of the coolest characters out there, everyone loved the way he interacted with the ordinary poor people...why would people hate him is beyond me. In any case, the guy is a race driver not in some beauty contest d he does his talking.on track so all power to him. Even though Alonso and Vettel call for their team to move teammates out of the way constantly and stuff like that..they are racers ans want to win so thats on in my book...once when you get ahead you make a race of it, or you give.back the place like Lewis did some time ago

2. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Hmm not sure. Hamilton has only not had no1 status in 2007 (well maybe half of it (I'm close to breaking the law)) the Button years and Rosberg years though has always been the preferred driver.

But Vettel has had most of his career as no1 but has been beaten alot.

I guess they both have strengths and weaknesses that maybe past champions were able to manipulate better.

3. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

Even if he's been 'preferred', which I'm not sure I accept, he's certainly not been as firmly the No 1 driver as Vettel. The way Ferrari used to use Raikkonen is in no way comparable to the treatment of Bottas/Rosberg. Which to my mind makes the statistical comparisons redundant.

dhel likes this.
  4. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'd argue that Button was brought into the McLaren team as reigning world champion and preferred driver. For all Hamiltons speed they just seemed to struggle to manage his grating personality and looked to replace him with Button.
    I'm far from suggesting they sabotaged him or anything, but it did feel like they wanted Button to beat him.
    Turned out alright for Hamilton in the end mind!

5. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Not heard that one before. I remember Brawn saying Jenson had some Schumacher qualities, think he might have revised that thought. I think Lewis was in a funny place, nothing more than that. Lewis was upset that time (Canada I think) when he was trailing Jenson in the rain and was practically driven off the track by Jenson, who was in front. Simple argument was Jenson could not see who, if anyone, was behind because of the spray. Jenson had the opportunity to stay are Merc, in fact Nick Fry was quite scathing of Jenson's lack of loyalty to Brawn/Merc following the WDC. Might Renault vs McLaren be similar to the Merc vs Mclaren. Merc came good after some years, might Renault?

6. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

I don't blame Button jumping to McLaren. It was his chance to drive for a legendary team. Managed to get the last bit of legendary of them till they started to drop. Lewis was more loyal to the Mercedes brand that has helped him through his whole career....would love to see him in a Ferrari though

dhel likes this.
  7. Justjazz

Yes, Lewis and Ferrari would be interesting, can't see it happening though.. By then Le Clerc will be No 1

8. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I don;t trust Renault to build a competitive engine unless someone else bank-rolls it, they never seem fully invested in F1 to me. The only reason they built F1 engines in the first place was because Elf paid for it all.

9. Viva_Giggsy

Viva_Giggsy Well-Known Member

Lewis only loyal to Mercedes as they given him every win in F1, you without Mercedes good bye race wins at least Vettel has won with more then one different engine manufacturer.

10. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

You dont think lewis would have sense enough to go with the team who has not only given him the best financial offer, but also the team who would have given him the best assurances of a great car and a better chance to win?

And even though Vettel won with different manufacturers, dont.you think he is really underperforming in the Ferrari? In fact i think he started unperforming since the end of his Red Bulls stint. Even though Lewis has only raced with Mercedes engine, it has been with two different car manufacturers, and has won championships early with both. So that in itself is an achievement though.

11. Justjazz

Interesting observation, you think it is a money issue rather than a design issue. The engine can perform for the 4th level (McLaren). It is a bank rolling or perhaps rather the skill of the team that is holding them back at the moment. If they were sitting at fourth in the championship (engine is capable) might that give the motivation to develop the engine further. Are they held back by the scandal of the CEO as was suggested (maybe by you) would be the case pre season?

12. Big Ern

I think it's their history of coming in for a few years then selling up, then having to buy it back again, usually on the cheap. It's like they're only half interested and are being almost coerced into it as unwilling participants and are happy to just make up the numbers, whereas Ferrari & Honda seem determined to get a winning PU and take Mercedes crown.

13. Justjazz

That old saying, if something is worth doing, it is worth doing well. They did well with Redbull and then that collapsed in 2014, they have dropped the ball for 5 years since. End of last year there was a belief they were committed. They obviously felt the driver line up was part of it, but 5 races shows otherwise.
    They need to get off the fence one way or another, I think being the worse engine manufacturer doesn't work for anyone. Guess we can only but watch as they implode or commit, hope it is the later.

14. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The situation with Renault is actually reminiscent of early Mercedes and why Jenson didn't stay. He talks in his book about being told about the buyout during contract negotiations, excitedly asking about the teams new funding and being told they still expected Ross to fund the team through sponsorships. Shortly afterwards he told his agent to phone McLaren... (Possibly the wrong decision but who knows if JB would have lasted until 2014 there)

Mercedes turned it around when they got the wallet out, Renault needs to decide if F1 is worth enough for them to do the same. They seem to be praying for the budget caps in 2021. I doubt it will come to much.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    BrightLampShade likes this.
  15. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

*cough*

16. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It was high pitched repetitive commentary

Big Ern and El_Bando like this.
  17. Big Ern

:laugh: I gotta remember that.

18. moreinjuredthanowen

Renault in the end are a ****, bang average family car company. There's nothing in f1 really for them and they've come in and done well and hone again as it's never been core company image.

Mercedes... they sell sports cars.

Ferrari ditto.

McLaren only did that after being f1 team? But they have cars to sell.

Who buys a Renault on the back of f1?

I can see why honda do it, they build bikes and dominate, the engine business is an extension of that.

19. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Yes please!

20. Big Ern

yeah, but raikkonen was clearly slower than Vettel of the majority of weekends, and Ferrari weren;t going to win a championship dividing the best result between their drivers. And of course he is preferred, that was made pretty clear in the first season Rosberg and Hamilton were team-mates, Hamilton was the golden goose and Rosberg the bitch. can't remember the race, Malaysia I think ,both were low on fuel so they told them to hold station so they'd finish, hamilton said no, and who overtook Rosebrg, who was then told to suck it up. As to Vettel's favouritism, most of that was coming out of webber's mouth, and a lot of it was bullshit, especially wing-gate. Can't say if it was part of a plan to get inside Seb's head, or if it was just him giving excuses as to why he choked so hard.