1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Mildy Moist Brazilian GP awards

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by allsaintchris., Nov 14, 2016.

1. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Best Driver:
    Worst Driver:
    Best Rookie:
    Best Team:
    Worst Team:
    Best Overtake:

Most Surprising Result:
    Least Surprising Result:
    Funniest moment:
    Excuse of the week:

Special Mention:
    Best post from the race thread:
    Race Rating: ?/10

2. allsaintchris.

Best Driver: Max and Lewis. Both streets ahead of the rest
    Worst Driver: Grosjean. You never, never, never, never drop it on the way the grid.
    Best Rookie: Ocon
    Best Team: Mercedes
    Worst Team: Renault
    Best Overtake: Max on Nico, Max on Kimi, you get the gist

Most Surprising Result: No swearing from Vettel on his spin or Max pushing him wide
    Least Surprising Result: HAM 1st, ROS 2nd
    Funniest moment: Guit going nuts at Haas pitwall
    Excuse of the week: It's too wet to race (most of the grid). It's F1 you fannies.

Special Mention: Max. Drove well beyond his years.
    Race Rating: 7/10. Drops points for all the SC's and red flags.

3. moreinjuredthanowen

Best Driver: Well. There is a case in the above. Hamilton raced away on first start and max wasn't catching him really. Then on second he backed rosberg into the pack and max ate him alive. really there was not much more he could possibly have done. he never had a single moment and i'm not sure verstappen could have caught him if Hamilton needed to push. Verstappen was however different planet when the race actually took place. have to go for verstappen.

Worst Driver: hard question. I don't think RG can be singled out as that last corner was pure lethal. i don't think anyone was really weak here. even palmer's hit on kvyat was impossible conditions. I would go for ricciardo for pitting but thats his teams fault too so over all my favorite for this would be Ericsson as he ****ed his car but the managed to park in on the pit lane exit stupidly

Best Rookie: Ocon yes. great result gave everything

Best Team: Mercedes. played it safe but played it well.

Worst Team: Red bull.. they twice tried inters i think. they really ****ed it plus i felt the outrageous lack of concern for safety by making up excuses for ricciardo to get in and try gain advantage was pathetic.

Best Overtake: I think the first one Max did on kimi was just brave. I will go with that one even though many others were genius grip finding.

Most Surprising Result: nobody died. There were several moments where pure danger occurred and people escaped

Least Surprising Result: starting under safety car once brundle said everyone thought it was nuts

Funniest moment: Massa doing a lap of honor while cars went round under safety car.

Excuse of the week: several whines on radio. the sual he pushed me off track from vettel. rosberg in second calling for race to be ended.. **** sake like. how many accidents etc. clearly if they've time to make excuses they aint driving hard enough.

Special Mention: Max. Filipe nasr drive. the lad did well there. safety car driver too.
    Race Rating: i agree 6/10 cos 2 hours of my life wasted watching them piss about but 16 laps of genius saved it.

4. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Best Driver: Max Verstappen.
    Worst Driver: Jenson Button. Really, really slow. For his sake i hope something was wrong with the car. More generally though i think the motivation is gone.
    Best Rookie: Ocon - Though his bottling at the end of the race might have ended Manor with the 10th place money gone.
    Best Team: Mercedes (got all the calls perfectly)
    Best Overtake: So many to chose from. All of them from Max.

Most Surprising Result: The race restarting.
    Least Surprising Result: HAM 1st, ROS 2nd
    Funniest moment: ...
    Excuse of the week: Rosberg calling for a red flag. No conflict of interest at all.

Special Mention: Alonso, Hamilton, Perez
    Race Rating: 5/10. First half 0/10, Second half 10/10. The farcical aborted restart with the crowd jeering brings the average down a lot.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  5. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Best Driver: Nasr. everyone will give it to max (or Hamilton if they're fans of his, it's far easier in the wet if you're in front) but, c'mon he's in a Sauber FFS
    Worst Driver: Grosjean, binning it on the parade lap, tut-tut
    Best Team: Mercedes
    Worst Team: Williams
    Best Overtake: Max on Kimi or max on Rosberg or max on....etc etc

Most Surprising Result: a Sauber in 9th
    Least Surprising Result: whitings indecision
    Funniest moment:for me, reading Grosjeans social media 'boom', then watching him go 'boom' on the parade lap
    Excuse of the week: the puncture (thanks emsc, I'd forgotten that)

Special Mention: Max & Lewis
    Race Rating: 5/10, only because of Max

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  6. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Best Driver: Verstappen and Hamilton. VES for his scintillating overtakes, almost all of which came from using 'the karting line' very effectively – and how often does a driver not lose a place after a spin? He deserved at least one step higher on the podium. A stunning drive from the fearless teenager. HAM for being flawless throughout. Incidentally, Hamilton and Verstappen were taking pretty much the same lines. No matter which direction I looked, no one else did, although Räikkönen was beginning to explore before crashing.
    Worst Driver: Grosjean. Despite conditions which may appear to some to excuse him, there really is no excuse at this level for binning a car before even the formation lap! Ericcson also poor.
    Best Rookie: I agree with others: Ocon.
    Best Team: Mercedes.
    Worst Team: All told, probably Williams.
    Best Overtake: Verstappen had loads but I'll pick the one on Rosberg for its significance even though it did not affect the result due to Red Bull's gamble being completely wrong.

Most Surprising Result: Two Red Flags threatened the two hour maximum duration. In the end, I was surprised the race managed to go full-length.
    Least Surprising Result: Hamilton victory.
    Funniest moment: Verstappen's cool comment in the wake of his great save. If anyone doubted his stepping up to replace the unfortunate (but less talented, in my view) Kvyat, they must surely now agree the decision has been well and truly vindicated.
    Excuse of the week: Hmm. This is tricky. I understand the criticism of the stop-start nature of the race but… I'm going to go with the Horner's screwdriver theory to avoid a penalty. I think it's entirely within his character and do not believe Ricciardo really had a puncture. ;-)
    Special Mention: Nasr. And Massa – and the wonderful reception he received from Mercedes and Ferrari crews. Also Rosberg for keeping a cool head, playing the numbers game yet again, and making the right call about NOT going for Intermediates when many others – notably, the Red Bulls – did. That was a Button-like decision and was entirely his rather than his crew. Oddly enough, Button did not make the right call with his Lap 9 stop for Inters which, given his reputation, may well have influenced others to follow suit.

Race Rating: 7.55/10. At least 10% of this score is down to Verstappen whose drive will become folklore in years to come.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  7. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Best Driver: Lewis and Max jointly. Supreme drives.
    Worst Driver: Grosjean.
    Best Rookie: Ocon, as high as 9th off his own back.
    Worst Team: HAAS.
    Best Overtake: Verstappen taking any line he wants.

Most Surprising Result: Perez and Sainz drives.
    Least Surprising Result: Mercedes win.
    Funniest moment: If you have heard the dutch commentary on Max nearly losing it that is it.
    Excuse of the week: Ricciardo had a puncture - Christian Horney.

Special Mention: Massa, what a gentleman.
    Best post from the race thread: -
    Race Rating: 6/10 Would be higher was it not for the stoppages.

8. allsaintchris.

[QUOTE="EternalMSC, post: 9914607, ]

Special Mention: Massa, what a gentleman.
    [/QUOTE]

Also add Merc and Ferrari for their impromptu guard of honour. Bit of class from the pit lane.

9. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Best Driver: Nsar
    Worst Driver: Button
    Best Overtake: Verstappen on most

Most Surprising Result: Sauber in the points
    Least Surprising Result: Mercedes win.
    Funniest moment:
    Excuse of the week: Ricciardo had a puncture - Christian Horney.

Special Mention: Massa, Sainz, and of course Max and Lewis
    Best post from the race thread: -
    Race Rating: 6/10

10. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Bloody big sigh of relief there... That should help save a few quid at least.

11. Sportista

Sportista Well-Known Member

Best Driver: Nasr
    Worst Driver: Grosjean (sorry Romain)
    Best Team: Merc
    Worst Team: RedBull
    Best Overtake: Max (the whole race was on long overtake)

Most Surprising Result: Rosberg didn't bin it
    Least Surprising Result: Hamilton Victory
    Funniest moment: Max's heart rate comment.
    Excuse of the week: Pirelli "wets"

Special Mention: Max
    Race Rating: 4/10. I enjoyed what we had, but too much was behind the S/C. Glad I wasn't watching live.

12. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Certainly good for them, but they were already safe after the longbow finance takeover.

I imagine Manor could have used the money more.

Either way the 10 teams get money rule is horrifically outdated.

DHCanary and Smithers like this.
  13. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Manor getting that money would have been such a great sporting story.

14. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

That didnt even cross my mind! It's been a bit of a hectic few weeks, so im mostly dipping in and out of F1 lately.

EternalMSC likes this.
  15. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I don't know why they call it the karting line, it's really just the wet line, there's always less grip on wet rubbered tarmac, regardless of the vehicle.

16. allsaintchris.

Quite. It also illustrates which drivers are better suited to adjusting their driving styles to suit the conditions. Can't see how karting has much influence in this, its hardly a new phenomenon in racing to use a different line the wet.

17. Smithers

Forum Moderator

It just over exergerated in karts. The lack of weight, aero, grip, suspension and ultimate velocity means that a kart has to be in the straightest line possible before acceleration, so squaring off a corner and being of the rubber is needed more. Karts often physically go off track to widen a corner in the wet to obtain an earlier acceleration point. I think it has less of an impact the further up the formula you go, but obviously it is corner specific.