1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The midfield three

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Tickler, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Tickler

Tickler Well-Known Member

In the season just gone I think it is fair to say our best spell came when Catts/Mvila were joined by Kirchhoff

With regards to going into the new season Mvila's loan has ended but it looks like he is trying to buy out of his Rubin contract which expires this December...

With regards to that I am assuming that Sunderland would be looking towards signing him if the contract wasnt ridiculous (Apparently he is on £80k p/w at the moment)

However I personally believe that our midfield three could be defensively strong enough with Mvila/Kirchhoff and we look to replace Catts, whilst he has been a good player for us down the years I think it is fair to say that we all know what he is capable of and what his limits are...moving up in the league I think we need to look towards placing a much more attack minded player in Catts midfield position

For example based on current transfer rumours
    If you were to have:

Mvila/Khazri/Kirchhoff
    Borini/Defoe/Sakho

It would instantly improve the team imo, therefore would it not be worth looking to sell Catts and move onwards and upwards?

2. bonnybobbypark

bonnybobbypark Well-Known Member

Injuries.

Suspensions.

x

3. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

We also have Rodders and Seb, move these two on and keep Catts is another alternative, it will probably be down to what can and cant be done but all three are nearing the last chance saloon, for one reason or another, if we are to progress, and we must if we are to pull away from the bottom six which is what I am hoping for.

4. Tickler

Tickler Well-Known Member

Think Seb will be gone anyway tbh
    Rodwell will leave here on a free, nobody will match his wages, brings just about nothing to the team

clockstander likes this.
  5. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

I think nailing down M'Vila is the key, there is no telling what will happen when his contract expires, agents will be involved, so who knows. Lens is another key factor if Big Sam can get him to fire on all cylinders he would be a first name on the teamsheet for me, as good as Ayew imo, but its a big if. The posssitive vibe is that we are talking about buying in the sort of class we need and I for one am quietly confident that Big Sam will get it right more times than not, a welcome change from recent transfer dealings.

6. 13thtop

13thtop Active Member

Was thinking about posting on mvila, what's going on, really thought this would be a quick deal. At this moment we are weaker than last year. Now rumours of Kelly at palace, what's happening with yedlin. Oh I am so impatient

7. Paperback Ruiter

Paperback Ruiter Well-Known Member

I've seen a few people suggest changing the shape of the 3 which to me is madness. If you take Kirchhoff away from the pocket he plays in between the lines and his game is nowhere near as effective. I agree sign mvila and add a more attack minded midfielder for catts. But don't move Kirchhoff into a essentially a midfield 2. His passing and reading off the game are vital where he is, he's as responsible for our tighter defence as Kone imo.

Fentonpell likes this.