1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Mexican GP chat and predictions thread

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Big Ern, Oct 26, 2018.

?

zzzzzzzzzzz mañana zzzzzz

Poll closed Oct 28, 2018.
  1. Lew Ham

40.0%
  2. Seb Vet

20.0%
  3. Kim Rai

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Dan Ric

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Max Ver

30.0%
  6. Val Bot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. La Cucaracha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. La Cucaracha

10.0%
  9. Ya no puede caminar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Sñr Otro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If I was Ricciardo I'd go for a full quali setup and just turn everything to 11. It's gonna pop so might as well make it pop quickly.

easynic150, dhel and Big Ern like this.
  2. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

And see if he can get Max to cry.

3. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

So none of us like Max, except RB, which kinda means RB won't be much liked. Good luck to them but I won't be cheering them on.
    I do question RB and the string of bad luck Daniel seems to have had. RB are undoubtedly wanting Max to feel good and loved.
    RB were taken by surprise at Daniel's decision and he also kept them guessing from Monaco onwards, like a marriage it should have ended there and then rather than pretend, but contracts are not like that. I somehow suspect there is bad feeling on both sides.

If Honda deliver and Merc and Ferrari maintain their capability, a Lewis, Le Clerc, Vettel, Max and even Bottas mix will be interesting to watch next year. None can side step Max in that scenario if they want to gain the lead, we will need a new race prediction, how many and who are the spinners.

I will add, as a nation the Dutch are typically opinionated (I have worked with many over the years). I wonder if this is part of Max's problem, i.e. is it opinion rather than arrogance. Still don't like him tho.

4. Big Ern

It's not just the total lack of humility, it's his dirty driving and disregard for anyone other than himself, the FIA and RBR don;t help there, RBR make excuses for his BS and the FIA refuse to upset the golden goose by giving him the punishment his 'defending' deserves.

DHCanary and dhel like this.
  5. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

And this is why he will continue to make those mistakes and maintain that he is always right...Red Bull, instead of putting him in his place, they continue to lick his ..ss, that is why he disrespects the officials, his teammate, the other drivers who already have world championships under their belt. Red Bull is allowing him to control the team, just because they want him to be the youngest campion ever...instead of wanting him to be the best driver??? Read the below from Marko. He is 22 and Vettel got his at 23, now he has one chance to beat that, and that is next season...can anyone see the pressure they are going to put on him to achieve that? What will he do when he see sit is all getting away from him??? I am sure the likes of Hamilton and Vettel will not give him a free pass if he is fighting for the title. If Red Bull believes that, well they have a shock coming.

Helmut Marko has insisted Red Bull must make Max Verstappen the youngest F1 World Champion. He claims the team can do this in 2019, making Verstappen champion at just 22-years-old. Sebastian Vettel currently holds the record at 23 years and 134 days.

Marko remains certain the Honda engine will make all of the difference next season. The Austrian team have just two races left with Renault before embarking on a new chapter next season.

"We're really looking forward to next year. The aim is to have the youngest World Champion. Two years we have, but we go for it next year," Marko told motorsport.

Verstappen's race win in Mexico last weekend meant that the Dutchman has the top five youngest race wins. He was pipped to the post by Daniel Ricciardo to become the youngest pole sitter. He has just two attempts left to grab this record.

Marko goes on to admit he foresees some challenges with Honda.

"We know the first year with a new engine manufacturer is not easy. But the aim is, and the goal that I've told all the people is that we have to go for the championship, from the beginning. No excuses," Marko added.

“It’s tactical to get the best for next year. Toro Rosso are sacrificing their season for next year. It’s part of our concept that we have with Honda. The figures are already ahead of Renault. But even so, if you have one or two starts from the back, with Verstappen there’s some excitement.

“On the radio, he’s talking like he’s sitting with a cup of tea. The sort of information he is asking for… He’s unbelievable. There is no limit yet.”

please log in to view this image

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  6. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Now this is the difference between Max and Ricciardo. Even though Ricciardo said he thinks he could match Hamilton's performance in the same car, he has given Hamilton his due and applauded him for the consistency etc. As he said, even if you have a fast car it doesnt mean you will automatically win the championship.

Ricciardo has no doubt he could match Hamilton’s achievements in the same car. “My competitive side will always believe I’m the best and in that car I could do the same things, ‘yadda ya’,” he said.

“But I definitely give him all the respect and it’s definitely not a go at Lewis: I think he’s been pretty awesome at being able to do what he’s done continuously on track for the best part of a decade, but also done his own thing away from the track. For him to live the life he’s living and still keep up such a performance, full credit to him.”

Hamilton has consistently had the better of Sebastian Vettel, Ricciardo added.

“Also this year people realise that, OK, you can have a fast car but you’ve got to be able to perform week in and week out. Seb’s for the most part had a fast car all year but when you’re fighting for the title it’s those little ‘one-percenters’ that Lewis’s has got on top of more often than him and that’s what really dictated the pace of this championship.

“I give Lewis full respect. I think the talent’s always been there, the speed’s always been there, everyone knows that but for him to maintain this level of intensity, this level of speed and commitment is pretty strong. I’ve certainly got no problem with applauding him on that.”

easynic150 likes this.
  7. Justjazz

You can't even begin to imagine words like that from Max. As for Marko's love for the man (not meant in a controversial way) no wonder Max is like he is, with his dad reinforcing it too. Can you imagine him (Max or his Dad) lodging a complaint to Marko about that pole? I can, and I can imagine an order went out. Is it any wonder Daniel left.

And Marko is already putting out the threats that if Honda fail they (RBR) will leave F1. Such a regular threat, I wish they would leave, the players wouldn't so no great loss as I see it.

easynic150 and dhel like this.
  8. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

We should actually be grateful to Max.... He seems to have united not606 in a common opinion! :p

easynic150, dhel, DHCanary and 2 others like this.
  9. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You mean Max Verstappen. The greatest driver of all time?
    Maybe I should be that guy. The awkward one

dhel and SgtBhaji like this.
  10. SgtBhaji

We really need one! All this agreeing is starting to make my eye lids twitch!

11. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

From that article, Max will still be the youngest champion in 2019 or 2020.

Regardless of age, I think Max lacks the maturity and machinery to win a title.

Unless Red Bull Honda produce a 2013-like monster which gives him straightforward Pole-Win races, Verstappen appears incapable of keeping his nose clean for anything close to a full season. He doesn't need people blowing smoke up his ass, he needs reminding that he needs to make smart overtakes, and keep out of trouble.

And that's without Honda causing issues. Gasly and Hartley are both on their 8th engine this season. Sure TR are being used for development, but I can't believe Honda have a significant update, proven on the dyno and worth testing, every other race.

Across his career, Max has a 24% retirement rate*. Whether that's driver or Red Bull (or Honda) engineering, he's 10% or more down on his likely hypothetical title rivals next season. Over a season that could mean giving Hamilton a 50 point head start.

*Ricciardo 18%, Vettel 15%, Hamilton 11%, Kimi 22%, Alonso 21%, Grosjean 28%, Hulk 21%, Perez 13%, KMag 16%, Ocon 10%, Bottas 9%

Shout out to De Cesaris, with a phenomenal 147 retirements (70% of races entered)

12. Justjazz

I know someone who thinks Max is great. but he won't join the forum. But the person I know is not much liked either.

On the positive, it is likely to be entertaining, if not for the right reasons. Bernie would love it. If Bernie could have invented Max he would have proposed him along with artificial rain.

dhel, cosicave and SgtBhaji like this.
  13. SgtBhaji

*laughs*

14. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

It ia going to be very interesting when Max as the appointed Red Bull team leader, realises that you just dont get a world championship put in your lap as easy as his charges make the prediction that he will be the youngest world champion. Could you imagine what you are going to hear on team radio when he isnt given the latitude by the other drivers that he disrespects so often? Its going to be fun. When you are not in the title battle people give you free passes ( well not vettle this year) becaus they dont want to run the risk of losijg the whole hog....but if you are.in the fight they will "eat your food", you wouldnt get a break, unless its a broken front wing, tyre or body part...he will learn the hard way...2019 will be fun.

15. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

I don't think Max is that bad... sure his character isn't great but what top driver has a good one when things don't go right for them?

He has the talent and ruthlessness to achieve something.

16. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Max is a genuine talent and very fast but he has ZERO humility.

He sadly seems to have people around him who give him the impression that he has a divine right to break records. (His father and that idiot who owns Red Bull)

I hope that LeClerc, Norris, et al prove that there’s some other raw talents around.

I’m VERY interested to see how this petulant child copes when he’s on his tenth Honda engine.

Remember, for all Hondas progress, they are still miles off the two benchmark engines and they’ve still got to try and get it working in an Adrian Newey chassis.

They’ll get it right in the end, but whether fast enough for Red Bull who knows.

17. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

However let me add that I do also think McLaren made a mistake in letting go of the works deal!

18. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yeah I'd agree with that, with Renault power I can't see McLaren bettering Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull, nor most likely Renault or Sauber. Without a works deal you at least need one of the strongest engines, they have neither.

Renault are introducing a brand new engine architecture next season, which will definitely make things interesting. Right now the Renault and Honda engines appear to be about equal, with the Renault showing better reliability. Renault need to make sure they're at least getting a power boost with this new 2019 engine, and hope the reliability is there. Based on that, it's a sensible move for Red Bull, both engines could show reliability/power issues, but at least they can be Honda's works team.

19. Big Ern

please log in to view this image

TopClass likes this.
  20. Justjazz

Mclaren have ended up swapping Merc for Renault, no logic in that. Communication broke down but seems an emotional decision. Honda at BAR, was it the engine or the chassis that struggled? I would like to know if Ron left still believing in Honda. It was the only sensible way forward with the objective they had. RBR did well with Renault so I guess it may not be the end of glory days but it will be Daniel i want to succeed with the Renault engine. .