1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 29th June)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jun 29, 2022.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 29th June, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Raphinha off to Chelsea

It looks like Chelsea have nipped in, to steal Raphinha from under the noses of Arsenal, after days of time-wasting from the Emirates hierarchy. It is understood that new Blues owner Todd Boehly took charge of negotiations himself, calling his Elland Road counterpart before quickly agreeing a fee totalling £65m (€75m).

Furthermore, it has been reported that Arsenal spent much of yesterday trying to revive the deal, but with Deco expected at his former club this morning to tie up the loose ends, the Gunners will be kicking themselves for their cavalier attitude. Leeds had their eye on Hakim Ziyech, the player Raphinha will replace at Stamford Bridge, but after developments yesterday, the Dutch International will sign for AC Milan for 30m; not bad business for someone who's 29.

please log in to view this image

Leeds midfield target heading for Brighton

Leeds target Mohamed Camara is expected to make a final decision on his future in the next few days, but if media reports are to be believed, he is swaying towards a move to Brighton. With RB Leipzig refusing to deal with Leeds until the JKA fiasco is sorted out (ruling out Tyler Adams), missing out on Mohammed Camera will be devastating news for Jesse Marsch in his quest for a replacement for Kalvin Phillips who is due to undertake a medical with Manchester City either on Friday or Monday.

Out of the three prospective targets (Tyler Adams, Mohammed Camera and Sander Berge), Camera has been touted as the most talented, yet it is understood that Marsch had his heart set on the cheapest option (Adams). According to 'Athletic' journalist Sebastian Stafford-Bloor, Leeds will need a midfield dynamio to compensate for Roca:-

"Roca’s arrival changes the dynamic in the double pivot. He’s a ball-player — and a good one — but he probably needs a more defensive type alongside him and definitely someone who is a better athlete than he is. Roca is not particularly dynamic, so that needs to be compensated for."

"Given Marsch’s past — and the signings of Aaronson and Kristensen from there already — the temptation is to shop exclusively in the Red Bull network. Tyler Adams and Mohamed Camara, from RB Leipzig and Red Bull Salzburg respectively, have already been linked and would both make sense as signings. Camara is the better player of the two — he’s more skilful, more aggressive and a better defender — but he appears to be heading for Brighton, not Leeds."

Leeds not following the Leicester City Model

It was Eighteen months ago, following Leeds 3-1 victory over Leicester City on a cold dark night in January, that Leeds owner Andrea Radrizzani first expressed his admiration for the Leicester City business model. The Foxes had turned their club into a money making business whilst still pushing for a European space by following strict guidelines including not selling more than one top player per window, ensuring you get the best price, and only selling your top talent on your own terms!

According to Radrizzani back in January 2021:- “I love what Leicester have done over the past 10 years and six seasons in the Premier League,” “That’s what I see as a model to follow.”

Whilst easier said than done, especially with contracts winding down, few of the objectives have been followed! Do we assume it's back to the drawing board?

Whitejock, Gessa, NostradEmus and 4 others like this.
  2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good morning all

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  3. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

from what i've seen (not much to be fair!) i wouldn't say camara is more skillfull than adams. Both look good athletes, adams is quick, camara maybe more robust defensively, better injury record. Adam's has a rep of having the odd error in him, but don't they all. I'd be happy with either of them or Berge.

4. milkyboy

...Given Forshaw's a sicknote, I wouldn't mind 2 of the three (berge, camara adams), giving us 3 central midfielders to cover for injuries and rotation... but recognise that's unlikely!

Adam's is actually a pretty decent right back as well... but we're not exactly short of them now.

5. Mr Wolves-White

Mr Wolves-White Well-Known Member

Morning all

From what I understand the fan base want Camera over Adams. Tbh all I know is that we need to get people in if we're letting KP and Raph leave.

6. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

If he chooses Brighton over Leeds that’s embarrassing.

hemase and Normanbitmyleg70 like this.
  7. milkyboy

that clears it up then, given 99% of them won't have seen either play beyond a few youtube clips (like me <laugh>)

Camara is playing regular football whilst adams not holding down a regular place probably influences people. But one is in the Austrian league and one in a top 4 bundesliga side.

Marcos Barber likes this.
  8. milkyboy

unfortunately one is an established PL side and the other...

9. FORZA LEEDS

One has a manager who he’s previously played for, and one hasn’t. Choosing the latter speaks volumes.

hemase likes this.
  10. foolee

foolee Well-Known Member

If Adams is off the cards and we don’t get Camara and they are our top targets that’s pretty poor letting go one of your best players for. Same with Raphinha and getting in Gakpo/CDK.

If we don’t get in the signings needed to replace Phillips and Raphinha plus a ST and an experienced GK then we’ve had it this coming season but if we get in Camara, CDK, Gakpo and Foster I’ll be happy and think we’ll be okay. I think our season hinges on the next few days/weeks. Need to signings in before we go to Aus as well, can’t have Phillips and Raph out this week and not have the replacements in for pre season training, would be a disaster.

11. milkyboy

if you’re looking for a reason to knock our manager it does. Two of his ex players have already signed.

hemase likes this.
  12. FORZA LEEDS

<laugh> Calm down dear

13. lufctommo

lufctommo Well-Known Member

So about £110,000,000 for Raphinha and Phillips combined. But you don't make your money when you sell players, you make it when you find good players at a good price, and we spent £65,000,000 on Rodrigo, James and Firpo recently.

I've seen plenty of people say our best possible line up next season would be:

-----Bamford --- De Ketelaere-----
    Gakpo -------------------- Aaronson
    ---------Camara --- Roca------------
    Firpo - Cooper - Koch - Kristensen
    -----------------Meslier-----------------

That looks okay on paper, but our front six are almost all unknown quantities in the Premier League. If Camara and Adams are unlikely, I hope we've got someone of real quality lined up. Preferebly with experience in one of the big European leagues.

14. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Unrecognisable from last season. How many players are we going to sell / release this Summer I wonder?

15. foolee

foolee Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t expect too many outgoings from the squad last season after Phillips and Raphinha as the squad was too small so I’d expect Shackleton to leave. Then I’d expect loanees from last season to go - Davis, Costa & Casilla. And we’ll probably keep the rest and then get rid of more next summer and buy upgrades or promote youth that’ll be out on loan this summer. I’d expect Summerville to be sold or loaned if he signs a new deal. Bate and Cresswell will go on loan and come back into the squad next season if the loans go well and provide upgrades on Klich & Cooper in 23/24 season.

16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Leeds tell Arsenal not enough go away
    Raphinha tell Spurs no thanks
    Leeds refuse to answer phone to Barcelona
    Lets hope Rapha says yes to Chelsea

17. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Is there much point players like Tyler Roberts, and even Klich clogging up the bench. If the likes of Bate are not going to break through, do we send them out on loan too?

18. foolee

foolee Well-Known Member

He will due to CL and Deco.

Doc likes this.
  19. foolee

foolee Well-Known Member

I think Klich will be a good squad player for 1 more season and good option for the cup games. Same for Roberts really, 1 more season to cover injuries, play in the cups and just to bulk out the squad (he actually played quite a bit in our first PL season when we did well). The likes of Bate need loans to prove they’re up to standard otherwise we’re stalling their progress as they will be bit part players (Bate isn’t getting ahead of Roca or Camera (or whoever we sign as a Phillips replacement) and we have Forshaw and Greenwood as back up. Cresswell is 5th choice atm but if he has a good loan he can come back and be in the 4 and possibly even a starter). I could see one of Klich, Roberts or Rodrigo leaving but I do doubt that we’ll let more than 1 go if any.

ristac likes this.
  20. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Following the Leicester model someone having a laugh at our expense