1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 22nd May)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, May 22, 2024.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 22nd May, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Losses to Saints will have little impact on Sunday

Athletic journalist Nancy Froston doesn't believe Southampton's victories aver Leeds this season, will have any bearing on Sunday's Play-Off Final.

Southampton have beaten Leeds home and away, holding a 5-2 aggregate over their West Yorkshire rivals, but according to the former Star correspondent, Farke could use this as fuel to rouse his troops.

Froston highlights the fact that the German is a two time Championship winning Manager, and his formation is more fluid in terms of his team’s style of play, but warns of Southampton's counter attack which has been deadly this season.

"In reality, those results will count for little when the teams walk out at Wembley on Sunday to decide who will go up to the Premier League with Leicester City and Ipswich Town.

"Maybe there is some mental benefit for Martin’s side in knowing they went up to Elland Road and turned Leeds over so recently. Or maybe it is fuel Farke can use. The additional fun subplot to all this, beyond the tactical scheming and the atmosphere fans will generate on the day, is that Farke and Martin have history from their time together as manager and player at Norwich City seven years ago.

"As a double Championship-winning manager in his four years at Carrow Road, it has not been a surprise that Farke has often referred to his time there in press conferences this season as he tried to navigate the tricky waters of fans’ emotions in the promotion charge.

"Where Farke was criticised at times for taking too long to make substitutions as Leeds slipped out of the automatic promotion slots, he is more fluid in terms of his team’s style of play than Martin, whose absolute commitment to Southampton’s formation and possession-heavy brand of football has obviously worked well for them but can be unpicked if you get it right.

"When Southampton get it right against a high press, committing players forward could leave Leeds exposed and easy to carve open. Southampton have caused Farke’s men problems through the attacking threat of Kyle Walker-Peters at right-back, as Junior Firpo knows only too well from that game at Elland Road, and by playing the likes of Adam Armstrong (three goals in the two games this season against Leeds) in behind. Late runs by Will Smallbone made him particularly hard to pick up, too".

please log in to view this image

McCoist tips Leeds via penalty shoot-out

If Sunday's final couldn't get anymore tense, talkSPORT host Ally McCoist has predicted that just like last season, the game will be settled by penalties!

The former Scotland and Rangers ace has forecast a Leeds victory via spot kicks from 12 yards, but Meslier has a miserable record of saving penalties. In 19 attempts, the 6ft 6' Frenchman has made just one save, which was back in 2021 when Bielsa's Leeds knocked Fulham out of the EFL Cup 6-5 on penalties.

Reserve keeper Karl Darlow isn't much better. His shocking display during the 9-8 penalty loss against Salford City at the end of August put pay to any thoughts of taking the No1 jersey off Meslier, it was just he was playing dodgeball! A cardboard cutout would have done better!

According to McCoist:- "I think that one is going to go all the way and I'm taking Leeds to win on penalties. "How is that for completely not sitting on the fence, I think that is going to be a great game."

Cooper - Its been difficult

Speaking ahead of the Wembley showdown with Southampton, Leeds stalwart Liam Cooper spoke of his disappointment at the lack of game time this season, and how his role has changed since Daniel Farke took over last Summer.

Coops, who turns 33 in August becomes a free agent this Summer, which in all likelihood will bring an end to his ten year tenure at the club. He's spent much of this campaign warming the bench, but that hasn't stopped him from taking his dressing room responsibilities seriously.

For much of the last decade, the former Hull City apprentice has Captained the Whites; a responsibility he has taken seriously. Even now, even though he's no longer a major cog in Daniel Farke's wheel, he still takes his responsibilities seriously, and keeps the dressing room motivated.

“It’s been difficult. Obviously at the end of the day, I want to be playing as many minutes and as many games as possible. But you’ve got to get your head around that. Obviously I got injured at a difficult time.

“It was always difficult to get injured like that. It’s been difficult, but you have to take on a different role. Keep the lads motivated, lead by example, standards in training and off the pitch. I think I’ve done that.”

2. Wakey

Wakey Well-Known Member

Tactics can be overcome by the side who want it the most. You want some son eh? You want some.

OLOF, Whitejock, LeeUtd and 2 others like this.
  3. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Well I honestly didn't think I'd get a ticket, but lo and behold I got one today, along side my nephew and eldest lad. My other lads got theirs at the start of the week. Luck of the Irish Wakey...<party>

4. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Did they charge you as a 1/2?

OLOF and Irishshako like this.
  5. Irishshako

<grr> no you twat. But I got it for the over 65s rate.<party>

6. LeeUtd

LeeUtd Well-Known Member

Had an option of a ticket in a box at the Leeds end. £700 ffs

OLOF, Wakey and Irishshako like this.
  7. Irishshako

Outrageous Lee........<yikes>

LeeUtd likes this.
  8. LeeUtd

LeeUtd Well-Known Member

Yep. Going rate too. Boris contacts got the box. Cant justify that, as travel on top.

You'd have got your monies worth as was a free bar.:1980_boogie_down:

Irishshako and Wakey like this.
  9. Wakey

Wakey Well-Known Member

You did well as i think these were the last ones.

Irishshako likes this.
  10. Wakey

Wakey Well-Known Member

Utter rip off

LeeUtd and OLOF like this.

11. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Afternoon all

Shame about Cooper, but if he wants to play and we have better ahead of him...

Marcos Barber likes this.
  12. Irishshako

I feel guilty getting mine for €22.00 :emoticon-0105-wink:

LeeUtd and Wakey like this.
  13. Irishshako

There were a few lads who had their tickets earlier and they went on to help us get them, who ever was the best in the queue bought them.<ok>

lifecheshirewhite and Wakey like this.
  14. Wakey

Wakey Well-Known Member

Make sure you keep dehydrated and drink plenty on the day.

Marcos Barber and Irishshako like this.
  15. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

I’d want it to be the penalty box for that amount ffs <cheers>

Marcos Barber, LeeUtd and Wakey like this.
  16. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

17. Irishshako

<laugh> I heard a rumour that the pints are a tenner a pop ffs<yikes>

Wakey likes this.
  18. Irishshako

19. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

OLOF likes this.
  20. Eireleeds1