1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 5th Nov)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Dec 5, 2018.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone

Marseille have joined Parma, Empoli and Bologna in showing their interest in long term Leeds target Moise Kean.

18yo Kean spent last season on loan at Hellas Verona and though Leeds tried to snap him up in January, the striker did not want to break his loan and potentially upset Juventus,

The teenager is now back at the Allianz Stadium, but has found his chances limited and has enjoyed just 13 minutes of playing time this season.

Several clubs are looking at signing Kean next month, with Leeds claimed to have rekindled their interest, while Parma, Empoli and Bologna.

The teenager is extremely talented, but would he be ready for first team football in the Championship?

Leeds were on a scouting mission this week in Portugal!

Scouts from LS11 attended the Rio Ave’s clash with Sporting Lisbon on Monday.

Rio Ave's keeper Leo Jardim stood out in the game and was largely responsible for keeping the scoreline respectable.

The 23-year-old keeper joined the club from Gremio in Brazil this summer, where he had an unremarkable record. The young stopper is on loan, with an option to buy at the end of the season.

However, he has already shown that Rio Ave continue to have a special eye for goalkeeping talent. He follows in the footsteps of Atletico Madrid star Jan Oblak and, perhaps even more so, Manchester City stopper Ederson.

Leeds have now completed 20 league matches, collecting 39 points in the process.

With 26 games to go, should Leeds continue in the form they are in, they will have around 92 points.

Is that enough for automatic promotion this season?

Who do you expect to make a late challenge toward the top of the Championship?

Can Leeds keep their form going into the cold winter months when traditionally they start to fall away?

2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I noticed on yesterdays thread a few posted about where we are now compared to last season and think its worth noting that after 20 games:
    • 14/15 23 points and 15th - Redfearn
    • 15/16 32 points and 6th - Monk
    • 17/18 30 points and 8th - Christianson
    • 18/19 39 points and 2nd - Bielsa
    It should also be mentioned that it was this time of year over the past few seasons when the wheels fell off and an utter collapse happened. Monk managed to finish 7th as did Grayson from being 1st on Xmas day that year. Grayson begged Bates for cash to improve the squad and was refused because Bates thought we were top so job done. So we should be worried still because we have form for this if you pardon the pun.

WJ also said that it would be difficult to bring a new player in and get them up to speed with Bielsaball which is correct. It should also be noted that many of the players linked have either played for Bielsa before or play in similar systems etc. Which is probably an easy get out of jail card for all the stories linking players to Leeds Utd

3. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all..

The win away to Sheffield United on the back of two home wins was massive for us, three wins on the bounce. Throw into that a penalty save in the closing moments to ensure 3 points rather than one and you have to start believing it’s our year.

I want to keep my feet on the ground but when we have spells where we don’t look as good as we can we bounce back, we don’t implode like previous seasons. Still a way to go but over half way, who wouldn’t have took this?

4. w.c.dukenfield

w.c.dukenfield Well-Known Member

Morning all. There are only three teams in the division that have scored more goals, only one team who have conceded less, only one team above us. We have players to come back from injury and young players with a lot of potential. We also have a coach who knows what he wants. The best is still to come from this season.

5. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm just going with the flow. I have to go back to our heady 'European' days with O'Leary to find us playing such enjoyable football. I honestly don't care if we win or lose, as I just love the way we're playing football. Loads of risk, skill, and attacking football. Bielsa has brought such a refreshing uplift to our club - on and off the field. We have returned from the wilderness and have a leader who is an inspiration for players and fans alike.

I don't want promotion this year, as I don't think we're ready. I don't think we're anywhere near ready for the PL. But I'd deffo take it! Yup, we might get hammered most games in the PL, but we'd pull in £100m+, sign some quality, develop our players & kids significantly, and overall be stronger and more ready for the next promotion race. So anything goes for me.

I'm savouring every moment in case it all goes pear-shaped. Carpe Diem!

6. 1964white

1964white Well-Known Member

A average of 2 points a game would be enough
    Still think West Brom, Boro' & Forest are the dangers !
    Villa have employed a shrewd coach in Dean Smith.....wish they are had retained fatboy for a bit longer
    Yes with a bit of investment & luck especially with less injuries to key players

7. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

I don’t think we’ve got close to our early season form recently, I think teams set out to stop us and have a plan.

But we’re still picking up the points.

I look at the other teams in the mix, some are solid and unspectacular, some are streaky. I don’t see any reason we can’t hang in there unless we have fatigue issues from the strict dietary and training regime and rigours of the championship season. We’ve handled injuries, put square pegs in round holes and still functioned solidly.

We’re always trying to play football, whether we succeed or not, we’re always trying to win games, whether we succeed or not. What’s not to like compared with the dross we’ve endured for years.

Of the pack teams, it’s villa that worry me. A lot of good players and clicking under a new manager. Be a big test when we go there in a few weeks.

8. dbc

dbc Well-Known Member

The only difference this year I think is that the club will be happy to spend but I'm not sure Bielsa will (exception of goalkeeper possibly?)

9. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

The only thing I would add to this post is that teams without big money who get promoted, use the parachute system to enhance their chances of bouncing. WBA are classic as they actually have promotion relegation and promotion within 2 seasons again as part of their business model. I hate the parachute system but if we go up we need to factor it in and tell the fans not to expect Europe anytime soon. Burnley have used it well, Watford, Norwich, Newcastle. Villa are trying it but Derby and Forest along with Boro are trying to buy promotion.

This season for me has been the best for years and for that I thanks Radz who had the foresight to agree with Orta that Bielsa should come to Leeds. Its this reason I believe that Glory and Eire upset a few on here because Radz is a cheapskate, Radz is in it for himself. Where's the transfer money for Taylor and Cooke gone ...... I consider both Glory and Eire to be mates but at times this season Eire went native with Glory and I've even blocked Glory on twitter because he is turning into a parody of himself. Eire is still on twitter and posts some sensible stuff so hope he will be back soon. Afterall he was one of the reasons I came back

10. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

Good Morning to Matt and cop from a very wet Bardsey
    I have looked at the teams and see 8 possible teams for the promotion race of these I feel WBA Villa and Forest Boro cant score for toffee Norwich have a very young squad Sheef U have no money and have not a large enough squad Derby are inconsistent
    Have we any videos on Lawrence Shankland Doc right age and scores for fun at 400k would be worth a gamble
    Please get a keeper Matt didn't realise it was bonfire night tonight

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    ellandback likes this.

11. milkyboy

I don’t think we have any money dbc... the quote radz made after the sale of viera pretty much said it.

By accident or design we have a manager who ideally won’t really want Jan signings, other than covering injuries, because he thinks it will take them too long to fit in.

Given where we are in the league, personally I would be begging, borrowing and stealing for
    - a quality winger,
    - depending on news re Ayling, Berardi and Cooper, a cb.
    - the best keeper we can get

Ideally i’d also like target man style striker to mix it up a bit in certain games I but don’t think that’s the bielsa way.

But what i’d like doesn’t matter, the guy in charge has us top of the league, so what I hope we get it is whatever he genuinely wants!

Doc likes this.
  12. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

The upcoming villa game worries me! If we can continue averaging around the 2 point mark over Christmas and don't get left behind in the January sales, then I'll start to believe! It's been thoroughly enjoyable either way!

13. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

So do you think we have a chance of making the play offs..:emoticon-0105-wink:

14. Irishshako

We won't get promoted this year WJ, next year hopefully:grin:

15. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

AS we have only 25 days left you will get your wish granted for this year but next year now that's a different kettle of fish

Marcos Barber and Irishshako like this.
  16. Irishshako

WJ must be suffering from jetlag Leeds60:emoticon-0105-wink:

leeds60 likes this.
  17. w.c.dukenfield

w.c.dukenfield Well-Known Member

I'm hoping first or second place.

Irishshako likes this.
  18. Irishshako

:grin:...I was joking WC:biggrin:

19. milkyboy

Cooper our for 6 weeks, Dallas stress fracture of foot, also out for 4-6 weeks.

Dallas has played well last few games. Running out of defenders.

20. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This isn't good news, terrible time to get another two injuries as well, call Coyle back