1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 26th April)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Apr 26, 2022.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 26th April, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Stalemate at Selhurst Park

Leeds edged closer to Premier League survival after slogging out a goal-less draw at Selhurst Park last night. The match was played at a frantic pace with plenty of fight and endeavour (with the emphasis on fight), but a lack of quality was equally evident as both sets of players seemed to cancel themselves out. Palace turned the pressure up in the last fifteen minutes, but Leeds held firm, recording their first back to back clean sheet this season.

Early on, Leeds were susceptible to long balls over the top, which caught the Leeds defence out on several occasions. Mateta and Zaha combined well, and worked tirelessly to find space and create openings yet were unable to take advantage. Leeds best chance in the opening half (and possibly the match) came from a corner, but Cooper's far post header was comfortably saved by Guaita.

Leeds seemed to tire towards the end of the game, and Viera was desperate to take advantage. Having suffered losses against Newcastle, Chelsea and Leicester City in recent weeks, the combative Frenchman wanted to chalk up a tick in the win column; finishing the game with four strikers, but Leeds held firm.

It's not the seductive free flowing football we were used to under Bielsa, but when you're fighting for your lives at the wrong end of the table - needs must!

please log in to view this image

Klich spat with Marsch

An eagled eyed Leeds fan posted footage clearly showing a spat between Mateusz Klich and the gaffer after the Polish International was substituted at half-time. Clearly Klich looks incensed at being hauled off, as he more or less squares up to the American before storming off. Oddly, Marsch didn't inform Klich of his plans at half-time, which also suggests that he gave no direction to Koch, his replacement!

This is not the first time Klich has reacted badly at being substituted this season. We can appreciate his frustrations, but his performances this season have been well below par. Is his time at Elland Road coming to an end? Is he the weakest link in a very poor Leeds midfield?

Marsch will be a great addition to the Premier League

Former player, now pundit Jamie Carragher has spoken of his admiration for Jesse Marsch following the conclusion of last night's draw at Selhurst Park. The former Liverpool and England defender admitted that having spent time with the American, he was really impressed with the energy he brings, and the understanding of the game, unlike his previous Countrymen. He went on to say that he believes that Marsch will be a great addition to the Premier League.

“I really like him and he’s new to the league. Leeds supporters, they’re the only ones that matter. They loved the last manager. I think he’s made a brilliant start, I’m sure they’ll obviously take him to their hearts as well. Obviously, results have been really good. But just from talking to him, the answers he gives you, the detail he gives you. It’s lovely for us to get a little bit more information and understanding,”

“It’s his energy when he speaks, you can feel it. There’s been a lot of ridicule at different times over the years when we’ve had American coaches and managers within the league, but I’ve been really impressed. I think he’s going to be a great addition to the Premier League.”

2. blonogasoven

blonogasoven Well-Known Member

Morning all.

Norwayleedsforever and ristac like this.
  3. Old Git

Old Git Well-Known Member

Marsch was shown giving instructions to Koch just before half time.
    So we knew the change was coming.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  4. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

Good morning Blono & everyone
    Pleased about last night, went their for a point and that's what we got, a hard earned point, pleased also that we are becoming harder to beat, which is exactly what we need this time of the season, because unlike Everton/Burnley we will have to do it on points because goal difference (if it came to it will send us down) next three games i predict one possibly two more points. but no tonkings in any of them.

5. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Morning campers.

After all the determination and desire not to concede last night I've sort of reconsiled myself with the fact that we may be relegated this season but if we do we'll have gone down fighting. After Marcelo was sacked my main concern was that we'd go down with a whimper and that was certainly a possibility after we were humbled at home by Aston Villa.

Now with Jesse galvanising the squad and the return of Coops and Kalvin we'll scrap and battle for every point and see where it takes us.

Proud to be Leeds and the spirit of Bremner et al to keep on fighting to the end is alive and well.

6. blonogasoven

Many won't agree but the most important player we've got back so far has been Coops. I think KP will find his mojo soon, hopefully against Citeh. I'd actually like to see Firpo at LB and Dallas alongside KP in the middle.

Whitejock, LeedsRover1, Gessa and 4 others like this.
  7. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Already made my views on last night and last five games in general. I also don't subscribe to the theory that we won't get anything from Arsenal or Chelsea. Think they're could be a surprise in one of them. Both sides blowing hot and cold with mounting pressures of their own

Whitejock, Gessa, hemase and 9 others like this.
  8. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Actually blono I think everyone will agree with your comment about Coops <ok>

LeedsRover1, Aski, hemase and 4 others like this.
  9. blonogasoven

I think an important factor this week is that our game with Citeh is sandwiched between their CL SF legs with Real Madrid. They've got 3 games in 8 days and ours is possibly the least important for the players. I know they've got a world class squad but I reckon Jesse will get us to put a few challenges in early. They're not going to want to be in a battle like we were last night.
    We should probably start with just 10 men and scare the **** out of them. <laugh>

10. blonogasoven

All the positivity this morning is a bit scary. Where are all the 'realists?'

11. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Great attitude from the players last night.

Poor execution by the players last night.

Klich was doing the Bielsa press. Marsch was at him all half for not noticing the trigger. Klich had a sulk and ultimately was hooked for Koch. Klich is incredibly lucky that our lack of midfielders and our injury list has allowed him to play for us this season.

12. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Yes and Chelsea play us just before the cup final.

13. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

One further point, can we have that referee for the rest of our games this season. He was excellent and let a lot go

14. Infidel

Infidel Well-Known Member

Agreed, and Koch was the one that quietened Gallagher somewhat.

NostradEmus and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  15. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Klich won't or at least shouldn't be here next season especially if we retain our status end of .........coops has been ace since his return and has seemingly stopped his shirt pulling antics!
    Doubtful of anything really against citeh but can see us doing chelski :)

Irishshako likes this.
  16. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Koch is a decent German international CB. Not his fault he isn’t any good in midfield. He plays where he’s told to.

17. Normanbitmyleg70

Normanbitmyleg70 Well-Known Member

My arse is squeaking already.

From this weekend in order of play i just hope Watford can beat Burnley or at least draw. We are going to be hard pressed to keep the score down against City but can't see any points in it for us. Chelski surely must beat Everton.

If the above comes to pass then the squeaky bum syndrome will be diminished......for now.

upload_2022-4-26_10-0-11.png
    upload_2022-4-26_10-0-48.png
    upload_2022-4-26_10-1-24.png

18. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all

Jesse chatted at length after the game, he was disappointed with the passing and that a few players kept switching to the old way of playing under Bielsa drifting out of position and man marking when they shouldn’t be but he believes they are working hard and will get there.

He’d said previously Greenwood was the quickest at taking the new way onboard, I’m sure that’s why we’re seeing more of him.

Our attackers had the high press completely wrong all game, the amount of time two went for it but Palace always had an outlet as they were not doing it together

19. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Just don’t get what Marsch sees in Greenwood. He makes Rodrigo look pacey in comparison and we had even less cutting edge when he came on.

Only thing I can think of was he takes a decent free kick apparently (I’ve yet to see it) but we had Raphinha on the pitch for that anyway.

Hate to say it but even Roberts offers more than Greenwood.

ristac and leeds down south like this.
  20. Norwayleedsforever

Norwayleedsforever Well-Known Member

Morning all:emoticon-0148-yes:

Well last night’s game was a hard-fought game, and we did get a point more than I thought we would. So got to be happy with that.

Looking forward I think Burnley will beat Watford, we will lose to Man City. Chelsea seems to win/lose every second game, so they should lose to Everton just to keep up the pattern. And if this happens, Burnley will go past us and Everton only 2 points behind with one game in hand. Think it all will be decided in the last game of the season:emoticon-0107-sweat

ristac and Irishshako like this.