1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 14th April)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Apr 14, 2020.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg
    Good Morning. It's Tuesday 14th April, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Is the statue of Don Revie too far out of the way

In May 2012, an 8ft tall, 30 stone Bronze statue of the greatest Manager in Leeds Utd history was unveiled to the World.

Commissioned by Barnsley based sculptor Graham Ibbeson, (whose work also includes similar statues of Dickie Bird, Fred Trueman and Eric Morecambe) the Don stood pride of place next to the Centenary Pavilion, opposite Elland Road’s East Stand, overlooking the car park.

Does he deserve to be in a much more prominent position, like Billy?

Was Bremner more important to the club than Revie?

Is it disrespectful that the man responsible for putting Leeds Utd on the map is overlooking the Car Park like an over zealous traffic warden?

Where would you like to see Revie's statue moved to, or is it ok where it is?

please log in to view this image

Club update from Kinnear

Leeds Utd Managing Director Angus Kinnear has been speaking to the Yorkshire Evening post about everything Leeds Utd. One thing that is apparent is that Augustin has been working his socks off to get match fit.

Common sense dictates that our first games are likely to be behind closed doors.

With regard to the topic of responsibility of players to financially step up in the current crisis, it appears that, rather than the debate centring around the needs of all the wealthy sections of society and business to contribute, football has once again been made a scapegoat.

While the absurdity of player wages is generally appreciated, the huge contribution that players make to the treasury through the millions of pounds of monthly income tax deducted at source is in stark contrast to many big business and offshore entrepreneurs.

More importantly, many groups of players have begun to take responsibility and help their clubs and we are immensely proud that our own Leeds United squad was among the first to do so. I know the gesture from our team is currently being replicated by players across the EFL

While it is difficult to take positives from the current climate, we are endeavouring to be optimistic and use the time constructively.

On the injury front, our medical team are focusing on ensuring Jean Kevin Augustin is back to full fitness for the return to play.

There is a belief throughout the club that he will have a critical part to play in the run in and I know JKA is desperate to demonstrate why the club have put so much faith in him.

The resumption in play will probably come too soon for Adam Forshaw, but we are confident that this break means the root cause of his injury issues will have been resolved.

Kiel the groundsman and his team are performing a mid season pitch renovation, allowing them to scarify and top dress the pitch, which will result in a playing surface for the run-in that will be as good August and should facilitate Marcelo’s swashbuckling football that I know we are all missing.

For those in lockdown who need a football fix, the second series of ‘Sunderland till I die’ makes entertaining viewing.

From a personal perspective I empathised with the new management team’s dual challenge of returning a huge club to its former glories, while simultaneously taking part in a fly-on-the-wall documentary and maintaining any semblance of professional credibility.

I also noted with interest the revelation that other Championship CEO’s have their own, club-funded, cryo chambers.

On the business side of the club, the majority of our divisions are currently not trading, so to maintain morale and focus, over 50 of the staff at Elland Road have taken the opportunity of self-improvement by taking a distance learning diploma in ‘Leadership in Football’ delivered by our partners at Uninettuno University in Rome.

I am proud that so many of our team are so committed to their professional development, but in a crisis of self-confidence I also signed up to the course, just in case I need to fend off internal competition for my job.

The lack of day-to-day business has allowed the senior management team the time to refine the financial scenario planning for next season.

The release of our 2018-19 accounts this week evidenced that we have been successful in growing our revenues and employed them, along with Andrea’s continued investment, to dramatically strengthen our playing side, while navigating a path on the right side of the league’s Profit and Sustainability limits.

The plan going forward remains ambitious, but one of our potential destinations requires a lot more financial prudence than the other.

While the crisis facing our nation has the potential to damage football in both the short and long term, I remain confident that the spirit within clubs across the leagues from players, staff and supporters will overcome the issues we face and before long we will all be back enjoying the game we love.

augustin.jpg

Plans to rebuild West Stand by 13,000 given thumbs up by former ace

Former Striker Noel Whelan has given his thumbs up to Phil Hay's recent tweet regarding the rebuilding of the West Stand to increase capacity to 50,000.

The former Chief football writer for the Yorkshire Evening Post told fans that the club have tentative plans to rebuild the West Stand to match the height of the East one, increasing overall capacity to 50,000.

Whelan believes that an Elland Road expansion is a better idea than a new state of the art stadium.

“It does need some improvement around Elland Road, that is for sure. Would I want to leave Elland Road? Absolutely not. Can we extend it? Look at Liverpool, they did it. Great history at that club like Leeds United. The club needs to be at Elland Road.

“It is not going to money wasted. Those seats, bums will fill them (bums on seats). No doubt. We have the best fans in the world.

“So many new stadiums have no personality. Elland Road has got loads of it. I really would not want to leave. Revamp it and extend it. That is what the fans want.”

Would an extra 13,000 seats suffice, especially if Leeds reach the Premiership?

Do you agree with Whelans comments about the personality of ER?

Has Elland Road had its day? Is it time for a New Stadium?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  2. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. We shouldn’t leave Elland road when there is space to develop. Wouldn’t make sense. 50k capacity would work for most fans St holders and us plastic foreign ones. Mind you if new rules continue where everyone has to be 2 metres apart our capacity will be about 2k

3. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Augustine looks like he is fading away.

He looks as thin as me...

When I was born <laugh>

wakeybreakyheart and davy like this.
  4. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning pal

It will be interesting to see how they do it without cramming seats together where there is no room, or making alterations that could spoil their view?

5. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

Good Morning to Matt and co from a glorious Bardsey
    Just thought I would recount a true story showing how stupid we have been in the past.
    ,so much so that we offered 10k for him .The deal was struck straightaway and Townngot rid of basically a division 3 player.What had happened Caldwell didn.t play that night and his place was taken by Ray Wilson so we bought the wrong man and Terry when I spoke to him confirmed this'He was soon transferred to Carlisle and player over 300 games for them
    ER should remain at ER

Irishshako, ristac and ellandback like this.
  6. lufctommo

lufctommo Well-Known Member

Morning everyone.

I think a lot of people criticise footballers without realising that if they take a pay cut the money just ends up in the pocket of an Arab billionaire and the government never sees the income tax. The initiative for them to pay a percentage directly to the NHS is much more helpful although really it doesn't even scratch the surface so perhaps the money would've been better used to keep charities going. Clubs like Liverpool, Newcastle and Spurs rightly came into criticism for taking advantage of the furlough scheme when they didn't need to. The government are never going to criticise the millionaires who make massive donations to the Tory party, or the companies which are often part owned by Tory MP's. Nor are they going to criticise any of the media billionaires for obvious reasons.

I wouldn't want Elland Road to go much above 50k. It seems to be at that point that you start getting a large enough percentage of tourists and day trippers to dilute the atmosphere. As long as the North and South Stand remain packed with season ticket holders we should be okay.

7. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Which player Mike?

Hope you and Moe are in good health

Irishshako likes this.
  8. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Morning Elland, Eire. I would hope ER is improved by building up or out than moving. There is so much History at this club and I wouldn't want to move to a sterile, new stadium, the younger set of fans might like the idea, but then again they liked that awful pink/grey shirt.<ok>

Farsleyexile, ristac and ellandback like this.
  9. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Tommo, is the atmosphere as good as it was in yesterday when Elland Road was looked as as being a fortress?

Irishshako likes this.
  10. Irishshako

And day trippers and tourists, who is that aimed at
    :huh:

11. lufctommo

lufctommo Well-Known Member

I stand in the South Stand and it's certainly the best I remember it being there but then I imagine I'm younger than most on here. Very rarely hear the kop these days but that might just be because the South Stand is louder. A lot has to do with where the away fans are. If they were moved then I'm not sure it would be the same.

12. ellandback

Forum Moderator

If there was a standing area, say the Wedge, would you want to go?

13. Irishshako

Leeds60, 1964, WC and Heidi would be able to answer that question Elland. Remember that the atmosphere changed when the all seater stadiums was introduced. Personally when I first travelled over the Kop was the place where the craic was and when sides like scum came to town they'd fill the Lowfields terraces, but there was a nasty atmosphere in the air. Now it's the Southstand that is the place to go to. I'd like to add that up until relatively recently we weren't a club who sold huge numbers of season tickets( again Leeds60 and co can correct me if I'm wrong) even in Sir Dons day. So to answer your question Elland I'd say that the atmosphere was better pre all seater, but that's a generational thing. I don't know what it was like back further.<ok>

leeds60, Eireleeds1 and ristac like this.
  14. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Shaks, having a standing area will be a lot safer than seating imo.

I wonder how many people either when celebrating or moving down the isle trying to get to their seat have topled forward.

THESE RAILS SHOULD BE INTRODUCED

wakeybreakyheart and Irishshako like this.
  15. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Irishshako likes this.
  16. DirtyLeeds

DirtyLeeds Well-Known Member

You have to open the bottle first !

17. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Six

18. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all, Augustin certainly doesn’t resemble Yeboah now, it shows how unfit he was when he joined.

19. DirtyLeeds

DirtyLeeds Well-Known Member

Now my lad is a bit older we've been going in the wedge this season. Atmosphere is fantastic, better than the South stand even ?

Everyone stands for the whole 90 minutes and on a couple of occasions I've come home with bruised shins due to the bloke behind me (usually a young lad) come flying into the back of me after a goal and my shins hitting the seat in front. Easy to see how there could be injuries if it remains seated as it is now.

ellandback likes this.
  20. ellandback

Forum Moderator

nope