1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 10th May)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, May 10, 2022.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 10th May, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Leeds need to gamble on Bamford

Elland Road journalist Phil Hay believes Leeds need to take a gamble, and throw Patrick Bamford into action, if they are to avoid the drop. Hay is concerned that Leeds don't have enough fire-power up front, and with three games left to save their top flight status, have nothing to lose by using a partially fit Patrick Bamford. The 28yo has missed the majority of the season with various injuries, which has restricted him to just 560 minutes of game time. Leeds have netted just 39 times in 35 games, and have conceded 74 times.

"Chelsea are in fairly mixed form and the FA Cup is the only thing left for them to chase. That has to be their priority. I agree as well that Marsch needs his biggest players to come to the fore. This is a scenario where one huge performance from Raphinha/Phillips could make the difference. And to be quite honest, I feel like they're going to have to gamble on Patrick Bamford in the last couple of games. It doesn't feel like Leeds have enough goals in them at the moment."

please log in to view this image

The cost of relegation

If the worst were to happen and Leeds were relegated back to the Championship, the financial burden on Leeds Chairman Andrea Radrizzani could force the Italian media tycoon to seek further investment! Leeds were paid just over £132m for their ninth-place finish last season (in total).

payments.jpg

Although parachute payments would guarantee that Leeds would be given 55% of the broadcast revenue they would have received as a top flight club, (decreasing to 45% the following year and then 20% the year after), huge overheads and an expected mass exodus from the club could make life difficult if Leeds found themselves back in the second tier of English football. It is expected that a club relegated to the Championship next season would receive approximately 50m from parashoot payments.

Dallas could be back in six months

During a recent Interview, Jesse Marsch shared some welcome news relating to Stuart Dallas. The Northern Ireland International underwent surgery last week after breaking his femur, during the Manchester City game last month. Although the surgery lasted five and a half hours, the prognosis is that Dallas will make a full recovery, and could be back in the starting line up this year!

“I want to start with Stuart Dallas. He had a successful surgery, it was a long surgery – five and a half hours. But they believe that the outcome was very positive and they say it’ll be a long recovery, but believe it will be a full recovery. “He has had something like 400-500 messages from fans, family and friends. We know that he’s loved and I think that this moment proved that more than anything.

“I don’t want to speak for Stuart but I’ve heard that he’s been very appreciative of so many people reaching out and extending their concerns and love towards him. We all hope the absolute best for Stuart and we hope is soon pain free and back here in the training centre so we can really start his recovery.”

“We can safely say six months. It could be longer, nobody wants to rush him. “I think the bone has to heal and then they have to look at all the things like articular cartilage and the meniscus and everything seems to be relatively intact, so the anterior cruciate ligament is intact. “I’m not a doctor but a lot of the main structure of the knee is in place and then it’s just got to heal a little bit over time and and see how it reacts to more and more.”

bucks_is_leeds and Gessa like this.
  2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all

I’d not risk Bamford tomorrow night, then again I was reading an article by Eddie Gray who believes the two home matches are the important ones to go for.

If we get relegated the cut price fee of £25m for Raphinha is a kick in the teeth. KP, Rodrigo, Llorente and Firpo unload them and that should see us okay for season one and hopefully still strong enough to bounce straight back up.

In many ways building a team for promotion next season might prove a lot easier than building a team to avoid this happening again next season. If offered the chance though I’d obviously rather remain up

3. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

Good morning all
    Of course, building a championship team would be easier and less expensive than a premier league side, as we have now found out the hard way, however sooner or later you will have to spend out on a premier league team, or settle for a Norwich/Fulham yo yo scenario.

Marcos Barber and Eireleeds1 like this.
  4. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Players with an eye on the world cup who might not want to stay in the Championship.

Llorente.
    Koch.
    Phillips.
    Raphinha.
    Rodrigo.
    Bamford.

5. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

I would add James and Meslier to this list

NostradEmus likes this.
  6. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

That would make eight likely to go. Busy summer ahead for orta if we go down so

7. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Mes definitely, as he wants to go to the World Cup

8. NostradEmus

I'm not sure it would matter to James. He plays for Wales and it won't matter if he is in the Championship. Their player pool isn’t that big.

Meslier wasn't even first choice for France U21's. There is no chance he goes to the World Cup.

9. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Summerville will want guarantee of playing time or he goes back to Holland where plenty of clubs want him. Rangers also want him as Van Bronkorst knows him for years. So in some respects does he want to forgive the club for stopping him going in January or to play in the Championship when he can play in other countries top league. Nobody knows what will happen with Drameh or Greenwood yet or even Joffy. We go down it will be carnage and many players moving

Eireleeds1 and bucks_is_leeds like this.
  10. ellandback

Forum Moderator

MEMBERSHIP 22/23

Leeds United Football Club are delighted to announce the launch of our 2022/23 Memberships!

We have increased the number of general admission tickets available to purchase for members next season by 10%, increasing the chance of members securing a match-day ticket for the 2022/23 season.

Also, ahead of the 2022/23 season, we will introduce a new online ticket ballot system to help alleviate the pressure of applying online for home match tickets at a fixed time which may not always be convenient for all members.

We will also continue our successful Ticket Exchange scheme for the 2022/23 season, allowing season ticket holders to resell their ticket back to the Club if they are unavailable to attend a particular game. My Leeds+ members will continue to enjoy priority access to any tickets returned to the Ticket Exchange ahead of My Leeds members.

Please note, if you pay for your Membership(s) by credit/debit card, you will automatically be enrolled for Membership auto-renewal for the 2023/24 season. You can opt out of auto-renewal via your My Account.

On sale dates, Pricing Structure and how to purchase:

Memberships will be available to purchase to all Leeds United supporters online from Tuesday 10th May 2022. Existing ‘My Leeds’ members who renew by midnight on Monday 6th June 2022 will receive a £5 renewal discount.
    My Leeds+ - £75 adults & £45 juniors U16
    My Leeds - £50 adults & £30 juniors U16

Memberships will be sold exclusively online via our new SeatGeek Platform.

All supporters are advised to read our step-by-step guide as how to access the new ticketing system before purchasing membership. Please click here to view the guide.

11. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes I agree but I'm looking at it this way...

Drameh, Summerville, Bate, Joffy, Cresswell, Hjelde - None of those 6 are probably good enough for a complete season in the Premier League. All six might take the championship by storm, a season in the Championship with us and the following season they could be ready for the step up.

Cooper, Ayling, Klich, Forshaw none of them are probably good enough for next years Premier League, they are more than capable of a season in the Championship and the experience they can give to the first group I mentioned would be invaluable.

You'd like to believe we could sign a couple of players like John Swift who is 27 in June, a player that would hopefully be capable in the PL even if not setting it alight

southernwhite and bucks_is_leeds like this.
  12. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Bamford can have an eye on it all he want's he has zero chance of making it. If he leaves us he would end up on a PL teams subs bench

13. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Erling Haaland: Manchester City agree to sign Norway striker from Borussia Dortmund for £51.2m Wages of £400k a week

14. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

And that’s just part of the problem with football, not the players fault but the authorities who run football.

15. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

They can **** OFF

16. ellandback

Forum Moderator

PRE-MATCH PRESS CONFERENCE

Injury latest

I’ll start with the injury situation. So Liam Cooper last time I said he was going to be ready to play and he trained the day before we had the press conference and we thought he was going to be available. Then he had a small little reaction leading up to the match and we all just felt it was prudent that he not pushed himself with the possibility that we could lose him for the remaining days. I believe that he trained a bit yesterday and I believe that after that and now going into this next phase that he’s better and has less pain. I believe he’ll be available for tomorrow.

We still have to go day by day with that. Patrick Bamford is on the pitch doing individual work, hopefully in team training by the end of the week and doing fairly well. Another one that’s day to day but we’re all monitoring his progress and it’s about on track. We’ll see what that’s like moving forwards but he won’t be available for tomorrow. The rest is all the same
    Not been in bottom three since October. How are you keeping them positive?

Yeah, that’s definitely my way of leading is being positive. We had a talk yesterday, what’s involved in the moment. In the moment if you just looked at the nine games since I’ve been here, I think there’s been a lot of good performances. We’ve picked up points in a lot of matches, I think we’ve responded in many ways in what I’m trying to do with the group. We’ve stuck together, it hasn’t been easy but I said if this was the ninth game of the season and we went to Arsenal and went a man down and dug a big hole for ourselves, but second half we played like that and almost were able to tie the match up, we would’ve taken it away as a big positive. But the situation that we’re in means there’s stress and so we’re trying to manage that. We have to accept the fact that we’re in this situation and we have to know that we have to stay strong. We have to know that we play with no regrets and make sure that we go after and push now to do everything we can, which the guys have already done. Now on game day we have to be a combination of pragmatic, clever and do whatever it takes to tactically be sharp and clear. To defend our goal and find ways to be dangerous.

Broken record for most yellow cards. How important is discipline going to be?

The yellow card thing, you might say that because of Luke Ayling’s situation as well. Let me address Luke’s situation. For me, Luke as much as people want to draw stories of whatever they want about what the last years have been like here at Leeds United, I think the Luke Ayling story is as much a definition of what this club has become as anything. Guys like him, Kalvin, Liam, Stuart, who came from the Championship, who learned so much under Marcelo Bielsa and grew and help this club become a Premier League team again.

For me Luke is the definition of heart, fight, hard work, mentality, dedication in every way. He defines what we want this club to be about. In one situation he jeopardises all of that he’s invested for himself and the team and so for me in the moment, of course I think about it hurts us as a team but honestly I think more about Luke as a person and how he has to deal with this moment. He knows he’s let the team down and he’s not going to be available for these last matches. He’s still going to be massively important in terms of making sure our group is strong and together. We are with him and I said after the match it’s not the time for finger pointing and blaming. It’s the time for sticking together and believing in who we are and what we are. And so that’s the way I’ve dealt with it. I’ve supported Luke internally and I will externally as well. He’s a massive part of everything we do here and I hope our fans understand that as well.

Do you think five unbeaten run before Man City and Arsenal has been forgotten about?

Internally I think we know that we still have a good group and that we can manage these situations and even against a team like Chelsea, we believe we can get a result at home. We knew coming into these three matches – City, Arsenal and Chelsea – that it was going to be very, very difficult to pick up points. It’s proved to be that, just like we knew it was. We still have so much to play for and so our focus is on controlling every moment and being prepared for every moment. Credit to Burnley and Everton, credit to them, in a difficult moment they’ve also fought for their lives and done whatever is possible to claw themselves back into this situation, we’ll do the same.”

Erling Haaland to City – from what you’ve seen, is he going to fit into PL?

Yeah. Erling Haaland is destined to be one of the best players in the world. It’s his quality but also his talent. I wish he was coming back home here to Leeds, this is his hometown and birth place but I understand the decision for him to go to Manchester City. It’ll be interesting, he’s an explosive player in transition and Man City often play a lot in possession. He can play any style of play but I certainly believe it makes Man City – one of, if not the best team in the world – even better. Credit to them for getting that done and I always wish the best for Erling, he’s an incredible human being.

Jamie Shackleton – natural fit in at right-back in Ayling's absence?

It’s one of the possibilities. Jamie was hurt for a relatively long stretch since I’ve been here. But I’ve got to know him more and more, I’ve watched him for the U23s. I’ve also gone back and watched the games he’s played this year and the moments he has had on the pitch. I potentially think he can fit into that whether we play four or five. We’ve also visited the possibility of playing one of our centre backs in that position. And also with Raphinha and Dan James who did that admirably in a five against Arsenal. So I’m certainly going to give away what we’re going to do but Jamie is certainly is the mix.

How do you get the best out of Raphinha?

First of all, I like Raphinha’s passion, his mentality, personality, desire to win and be a great player. He is a fantastic talent, we haven’t got enough out of him. That’s the truth. We’ve tried to find ways to play with him a little bit wider, we’ve tried to find ways where he is in transition moments a little bit more, we’ve tried to find ways to get him around the goal more. Against these opponents, the best opponents, it’s not like we’re going to be in the final third for 50% of the game where we can really get him on the ball. That means getting him in transition and finding him opportunities to get him around the goal. In those moments is where he can be dangerous. Playing him at wing back doesn’t always find him the chances to be in those spaces but again, we’ll figure out how to get him the ball more, how to get him in space more, how to get him on the move more so that he can be dangerous and help the team.

Goal difference – is there an element of you going into this game wanting to go for it?

Being pragmatic always in these matches against best opponents is important, but also finding times to be aggressive, especially at home. We all know our fans don’t want to see us sit in our box for 90 minutes. So they want to see us be aggressive, they want to bring energy into the game and we want to do that. But we want to be pragmatic in our ability to do that. We don’t want to be careless, reckless. We want to be thoughtful and intelligent with our tactical plan and then our ability to be aggressive in the right moments. In the Man City match, as much as it was 4-0 and not successful on the day, we managed that part of things pretty well. How it fits for every opponent is a bit different but certainly again we want to be aggressive at the right time, but intelligent so we’re not opening up spaces for the opponent.

Gandhi – how much do you do that and why?

Inspiration is a big part of this job. When you lead people you have to find ways to have your finger on the pulse of exactly what’s happening at any moment. I have 52 articles, little excerpts from books that I sometimes give players when individually I think they need something to motivate them based on where they are in their development path, or who they are as people and how to reach them a bit differently than just the conversations I have with them. I have 100s of quotes that I use at different moments, that I try to think about how they fit with who I am and the way we try to play football and it how it might in a scenario within where we are in the season, the moment, the time. I love quotes, I love learning from people of the past.

Sport figures, historical figures, whatever. I think the key is the understanding of exactly what messages to use at the right time so that players understand exactly how to understand the moment. Here we are in the stress of relegation, trying to stay strong with our belief, with our confidence, with our commitment, with our mentality. So just trying to find ways to motivate, inspire our collective mentality so that we have the best chance to manage the moments we’re in. That’s the way I look at that.

How do use Dallas/Ayling even though they’re not on the pitch to lead this side?

I’ve already said the leadership council is Liam Cooper, Kalvin Phillips, Luke Ayling, Adam Forshaw, Rodrigo, Patrick Bamford and Stuart Dallas. Five of those players have been injured. It’s reduced our leadership core on the pitch to less and less and less. I’ve challenged all those guys to be around the pitch, have their finger on the pulse of what’s happening with the group, be positive, to bring the kind of energy to our training ground every day to make sure everybody knows in a difficult moment we’re good, we got this. Then it also means their ability to invest and challenge some of the other players, and I went through it could be Robin Koch, Diego Llorente, Raphinha, Dan James, Klichy, it could be a lot of the different guys that still have big experiences and can still provide their voice, their personality, their confidence in what we are right now. Then also, to lead the younger guys, to help them understand how to be strong. My idea of leadership is not just the person in this role, it’s about the entire group accessing their qualities, their abilities to be the best they can be and the best versions of themselves in the most difficult times. That’s where we are.

What’s this situation like for you personally and your family?

I’m calm, I’m calm. Obviously I’m so focused on exactly what we’re doing here, right here, right now. But again my vision was not from the beginning just 12 games. My vision is over years, and obviously the first step of my vision is staying in the Premier League because I believe this club deserves it and has earned it. But we have to earn it in the moment right now. So of course that’s all I think about, but stress doesn’t help. I know that’s the situation we’re in but our ability to just remove that and continue to go forward in the ways that we want to and eliminate all the pressures of whatever it is. This is why I love our fans in the stadium because I think that they get it. They are the ones, when I see in the street when they’re positive with me. Or their energy in the crowd at Arsenal, or after the Man City game or during the Norwich game or whatever. This is what pushes us, this is what I think will help us achieve our goal in the next three games that are positive and behind us and they know how to express that every time they are in the stadium. We will use that tomorrow night for sure.

Elland Road factor – what do you expect from the supporters?

I don’t expect or demand anything other than what I’ve already seen which is love and positivity in that stadium in every moment to push us to where we want to go. I can promise to them we’re going to put a team on the pitch that is ready to go after that, that is aggressive, that plays with confidence, that represents the identity of what this fanbase is. I’m clear with that, clearer now I think than I’ve ever been in the time I have been here. We will make sure when we put a match plan together, when we think about how we want play on matchday that it represents those things.

Better time to play Chelsea?

I can see why theoretically why it is a good time to play them. That was also a talking point playing Man City in between Real Madrid fixtures. A team like Chelsea they’ve been through a lot this year, they’ve had an ownership change, on the back of winning a UCL it’s never easy to try replicate that kind of success in the next season. There’s pressures which come with that, they’ve had injuries, a lot of fixtures, up and down form and a big match on the weekend. But that is a quality club, with a quality manager, incredible players, they all know how to manage difficult situations. Who they bring, what their line-up is, it doesn’t matter. We have to prepare for a team that is very, very good, that will come here and play their best and we have to deliver our best.

How are the players coping with stress?

I think the players are doing well. The moments after the disappointment in the last two games is obviously important for me to manage that effectively. To stay positive with them, to be encouraging with them, to let them know this is not just about one, two, three matches, that we continue to stay strong and fight until the very end and stay clear until the very end. It’s about being aggressive against the ball, wanting the ball on the pitch, wanting to be in this moment, about knowing that we’re good and that we’re stronger together with our tactics, with our group mentality. Those our the things that will ultimately reward us in the moment. I can say that the work on the pitch has got clearer and clearer and the understanding of our principles about how we want to play has got better every week, every day. Then it’s about now in a stressful situation and against very good opponents, in the stadium to execute. That’s what it comes down to, the clarity of execution about what we want the game to look like.

Examples of video analysis about what you do like?

We have video analysis every day and it’s always about principles, match plans, roles, individual, small groups, group all together. In some ways I’ve found that in the last few months I have been a video analyst more than a manager. I’m tired, my wife is tired of me sitting with my computer that’s for sure. It’s important that I’m looking at every moment, sorting through the details and communicating to the players about what I think is important for them to understand their roles on matchday. To be fair we have an intelligent group and they’ve tried in every way.

I think it’s certainly not been perfect but it has to do with everything involved. I’ve been careful not to overwhelm them and I’ve also been careful, as I’ve said along the process, to understand it’s not going to be perfect. I’ve also been careful to introduce less than more at the right times because I want them to still be free on match play to go and play, but to do it with discipline and clarity. That balancing act for somebody who is very detail orientated and sometimes a micro manager, when it comes to these things, that balance is important for me to understand and get right. That’s what I’m trying to every day.

What was in the note to Dan James?

We just changed the tactical look. The second half went almost exactly how I wanted it to go. It was tight, we made it difficult, we were dangerous on a couple of transition moments. Could we get a goal on a set piece and then as the game went on we could be tactically more dangerous and see if we could have five/10/15 minutes where we could poach one more goal and we almost did that. We switched and played more 4-3-2 with Dan up top. That’s what that was, with a couple of instructions.

The benefit of Covid, was when playing in empty stadiums you could communicate with the players more. I don’t think the players like that. I think they like playing in front of fans and listening to their manager less, which is the truth. Game day isn’t for managers, it’s more for players. Just trying to execute a plan which I thought again, the second half. If you play a man down at Arsenal and you win that half 1-0, you’d say well done.

Raphinha distracted?

Not at all, I see a person that is 100% invested in what we’re doing here. His emotion, which would someone already talked about, it can be interpreted as lack of discipline. I look at it as total investment; he’d do anything to ensure this club stays where it belongs. That part for me has been no talking point or thought at all. He’s all in.

How important is the challenge for players to step up and be leaders?

For me the job is individually to help players to get better and grow. Then as a group to manage that so the individual projects add up to more in the group project. The sum of the parts is bigger than the whole. I could use a lot of examples of guys that I think in my time here have already grown massively. That’s something that in a difficult situation makes me proud to see that the connection I’ve had with the team and individuals, the way they’ve responded and their growth has added up to making a difference. That’s really my philosophy as a football coach, to try use the platform of football to help people develop and become bigger.

Other historical figures you look up to?

So many. I’ve used Muhammad Ali a few times with the group. Michael Jordan is a guy I’m inspired by. Phil Jackson. I could start dating myself if I went back to Vince Lombardi, Jonny Unitas. I’ve used also in the past the 1998 French football team. I’ve used the 2008 basketball road to redemption, the gold medal team in China. For me I love basketball culture in America, it’s phenomenal. The way they combine inner city kids with university graduates, with incredible mentors, the history of the sport is amazing. I used things that resonate with me that can also fit within the standing of where we are. Then there’s also historical figures like Gandhi, Mother Theresa, presidents like JFK and different people along the way that I think have meant something to where we are historically in the world right now. I mean, I like to read about those things. I like leadership books, I like history, I was a history major in university. But those are boring conversations, let’s get back to football.

17. NostradEmus

I agree but in his mind he was in the England squad before his injury. He might try and force a move.

ristac likes this.
  18. Eireleeds1

Norwich, Fulham, the Blunts ourselves have tried similar ideas. Use the bulk of your promoted side in the pl and its failed miserably for all the others. We added some quality in first season back but without strengthening further we've been far too dependent on players who won us promotion. Ayling, Cooper, Klich, Roberts, Forshaw. Sad reality is, given the current ever widening gulf between the two divisions, you need one squad to win promotion and then probably a complete rebuild to survive in pl. That's something our current owner or the 49ers will never be able to bankroll. So in my opinion, as long as they are in charge of the purse strings, the very best we will be is another yoyo club. That's not a criticism really of them, but I suspect their lack of knowledge is seriously clouding their judgement

19. Eireleeds1

Here's a question Ive been mulling around in my tiny brain. Is the atmosphere generated by our great fans actually helping or hindering the players. Some of our finest performances at the tail end of our promotion season and great first season back in PL were in empty stadia. Ive seen it written many times that some players couldn't cope with the cauldron that is Elland Road. We certainly seemed like rabbits stuck in headlights for first twenty minutes on Sunday and that's been the case against most of the big boys. Just a thought. Maybe Jammie could comment as he's at every game

southernwhite likes this.
  20. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

I'll order mine tomorrow.:)

Gessa likes this.