1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 11th Dec)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Dec 11, 2018.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone

According to the Daily Mirror (so it must be true) Leeds are going to sign Keiren Westwood on a free transfer.

Westwood has found himself frozen out since the arrival of Jos Luhukay as manager at Hillsborough, but made his first appearance of the season at any level on Monday, playing 45 minutes for the Owls' Under-23s in a 2-2 draw at Crewe Alexandra.

The 34 year old offers a lot of experience between the sticks. but would the recent lack of first team appearances hinder him?

Broadcaster and Journalist Ian 'the Moose' Abrahams has contravotially stated it would be bad for English football if Norwich and Leeds get promoted to the Premier League!

“Lining up behind Daniel Farke’s Norwich and obviously [Marcelo] Bielsa at Leeds are Chris Wilder, English coach at Sheffield United; Darren Moore, English coach at West Brom; Frank Lampard, English coach at Derby; Dean Smith, English coach at Aston Villa, and also Tony Pulis, English coach at Middlesbrough.

“The only way we’re going to get English coaches into the Premier League, I believe, is for them to get their team’s promoted. So therefore I think it’s bad for English football that Norwich and Leeds are the top two in the Championship.”

I wonder if Moose thinks the Premiership is benefitted by the likes of Pep Guardiola and Mauricio Pochettino? Well - Bielsa is in the same bracket!

Furthermore :-

1) Bielsa has played 7 English players aged 22 or under this season

2) Leeds have the 7th highest total home attendance in English football

3) 11 of Leeds 21 league matches this season have been broadcast live on Sky

4) Tony Pulis is Welsh

2. simon hibbitt

simon hibbitt Active Member

Maybe he should have a go at Premier league clubs for not giving English coaches a chance!!

Irishshako and ellandback like this.
  3. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

It's no good having an experienced keeper, who as little recent experience, would he suit the style anyway, Westwood was a good keeper but who knows if he still is, if he's not playing.

Abraham's is a prize ****, says things just to get the phone ringing, it's his job but he's still an idiot, stopped listening to talk sport many years ago and he was one of the main reasons

BillysStatue and 1964white like this.
  4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I know a lot of Man Utd fans would snap the hand off Dyche, Eddie Howe or Houghton instead of the whining Jose'. I would have chose any of those 3 as England manager over Southgate who has failed as a manager everywhere hes been. In his favor he did a great job with the England U21s and you will notice that he has promoted his U21 team to full International rather use established players who think hes a joke. yes the kids have done him proud and I know he is making sure the U21s and U18s all use the same tactics as the senior team (Bielsa) but this doesn't stop the facts that he has done nothing as a manager. If Dyche, Howe or Houghton are never asked to manage a top prem team that to me says top team owners will only look overseas and they are wrong.

Moose is a nobhead

leeds60 and southernwhite like this.
  5. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

Trouble with "English" managers every time they lose all you hear is moan moan moan.
    If a manager is good enough eventually he will get there.
    Abrahams comments could be termed as racist(think about it)

OLOF and Doc like this.
  6. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Howe has done a great job, his team plays good football and he seems like a good guy. Houghton’s record is excellent and he seems to be under appreciated in the football world. It would be interesting to see how these two did at a bigger club with more resources.

Dyche? Dunno, you could argue that he has to play ‘functional’ football due to his playing staff... but Howe and houghton didn’t. Think he’s Just another of these gnarly miserable old school managers who knows how to set up a side to be hard to beat. Burnley ground their way out if the championship... not in a pulis way, but in a 1-0 George graham type way.

Don’t get me wrong, if you wanted to get out of the champ you’d take him. If you were trying to stay in the Prem on a budget you’d take him. Can’t see why a bigger side wound entertain the idea of him though.

Whitejock and Doc like this.
  7. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

The media is awash this week with the Raheem Sterling story and the possible racist abuse he received from a small group of Chelsea fans. Now we know in the past Chelsea had strong links to the NF movement but I've no idea whether that is still the case or not. This made me think what is it like currently at all football clubs across the UK and do some clubs have more of a problem than others.

What about our club ?

Personally I've not heard any racist abuse from our fans and I attend virtually every home game. Is that the case both in person and anecdotally for all of us or does there still exist a tiny minority that haven't realised that their opinions and views are from the dark ages ?

Sincerely I hope not and I would be quite surprised if that were the case.

If anyone wants to attack me for raising this topic on the board then please feel free but I would remind you of both it's relevance to society today and what is actually happening or allegedly happening at our football grounds. To those who say they are sick of political correctness then this is wholly different ball game as it involves direct person to person racism.

In other words don't shoot the messenger but let's have the debate and if anyone has heard abuse of the nature seen at Chelsea over the weekend then let's be open about it. We can then decide what if anything should be done to protect our club and it's supporters from being associated with such repugnant images which are currently being splashed across the media.

BillysStatue and w.c.dukenfield like this.
  8. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

Good Morning to Matt and co from a dull Bardsey
    I for one would like Westword a very good keeper but would WED sanction it he is far better than Darlow
    Why would it be detrimental if we got promoted there are more foreign managers in the premiership

ellandback likes this.
  9. lifecheshirewhite

The people involved admit abusing Sterling but deny they said anything racist and I believe them,if you look at the clip on the news,a black person is about three seats down and also shouting at Sterling,I bet he wasn't 1 of the 4 banned and being set up in a pc scape goat scam.Sterling is one of those players who likes to run to opposing fans with his finger on his lips winding them up when he scores,if your not going to arrest Sterling for inciting trouble,then he needs to man up and accept some back.

OLOF, Gessa, ristac and 1 other person like this.
  10. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Jammy you are correct, but the way I look at it is this: at the recent World Cup I heard a young kid say “ hey look how many black players there are in our team, wish every workplace was like that”, well mate I hadnt even noticed and I suspect most people hadnt noticed. Yet I get called a racist because I voted leave

11. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

So did I infactI voted not to join in 72

OLOF likes this.
  12. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

I wanted us to get Westwood years ago.

I’ve no idea what he’s like now but 34 is not too old for a goalie.

13. Jammy 07

It's a disgrace what people who exercised their democratic right have either been accused of or labelled. Whatever your reasons for the way you voted there is no correlation between racism and an immigration policy of a country.

14. lifecheshirewhite

Been following England at Euro's and World cups,Sterling gets stick because he runs off side and isn't the finished artical,he's another Alioski type,love him or hate him and he gets simular stick,nothing to do with his colour,for the record like Alioski with Leeds,never once have I heard any racist abuse,thrown at Sterling by England fans.I love Sterling for England,would I shout non racist **** at Sterling if we played City ? Yes

OLOF, bucks_is_leeds and Whitejock like this.
  15. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

So Jammy, did those you accused of racism the other week vote leave or remain? :biggrin:

Jammy 07 likes this.
  16. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

If I was in the position of those fans, I'd have been giving Sterling some abuse too. Hate the little cnut. Too many reasons to list. (Being excellent is prolly one of them, I have to admit).

Players have always received abuse. Some of it is hate-driven, or jealousy-driven, or simply trying to put an opposing player off. It's been the case since day 1. But I now find myself reflecting. Racist abuse is never acceptable, but what kind of abuse is? I may not use racist abuse, but let's just say that I am no stranger to hurling abuse at opposition players. (They should take it as a compliment, tbh, as it's usually the best players I target - like bloody Strachan when he played for Aberdeen, and regularly tore Partick Thistle a new one).

I don't think I'll ever change. Bit late at 60, but you never know. But at least I'm now thinking about it. I don't think it's a change that can be effected immediately. And I think that goes for the general trend of racist abuse at football too. It's a slow burner. I do believe it's getting better, and we'll get there one day. Some clubs have moved on quicker than others, and I personally have noticed quite a change at Leeds. But still work to do.

A minor point, though. It's been suggested on FB (so it must be true!) that Sterling was called a 'black cnut'. Is it the combination of the words that make it offensive? Let's face it, he is a cnut (as far as I'm concerned), and he is black (oddly enough). So is it the words, the vitriol in the delivery, or the assumed sentiment attributed by the listener? I'm interested to hear. I have no clue.

Jammy 07 likes this.
  17. lifecheshirewhite

The person hurling the abuse,a man in his 60s readily admits calling Sterling a Manc ****,if you look,Black Chelsea fans all around him,and that's what I believe he said.

Whitejock likes this.
  18. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Easy to misinterpret what these southerners say. If only they spoke proper. :D

lifecheshirewhite likes this.
  19. Jammy 07

It boils down to the laws of the land as set by our wonderful parliament.

You can call someone an "ugly c**t or a fat c**t" but not include any reference to their colour otherwise it's a criminal offence.

Whitejock likes this.
  20. Jammy 07

The truth will out Chesh...

If someone sat near me was shouting abuse I'm pretty sure I'd be able to say with some certainty what had been said.

lifecheshirewhite likes this.