1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 16th May)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, May 16, 2024.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

perfect1.jpg

Good Morning. It's Thursday 16th May, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

49ers tell Bundesliga outfit to stump up £15m for star

Leeds have told Borussia Monchengladbach that they will need to stump up £15m if they want to sign Max Wober.

The 26yo versatile centre-back has been in stunning form for the Bundesliga outfit this season, picking up a respectable 6.84 'Whoscored' average, placing him third in their ratings. Although suffering several niggling injuries, Wober has 24 starts, and 2070 minutes of game time under his belt.

Borussia Monchengladbach believe the 49ers valuation is ludicrously high, but won't want to risk paying even more should Wober have a good European campaign with Austria this Summer. This news comes off the back of fellow defender Diego Llorente (30) expecting to complete a permanent switch to Roma for €5m as soon as the transfer window opens next month.

please log in to view this image

Should Rutter be dropped tonight

Since coming back from his hernia operation last month Georginio Rutter has been unable to rediscover his form, and has now gone nine games without either a goal or assist.

The versatile forward has 15 assists (second only to Leif Davis) and 7 goals in just under 4000 minutes of game time this season. His surging runs, and ability to carve defences wide open en mass has earned the 22yo rave reviews this season, and finally justify his £35m price tag.

Whilst his ability in-front of goal has been questionable, his work-rate and temperament is first rate, but hours before their most important game in recent history, should he keep his place in Leeds line-up?

PL vote today on whether to do away with VAR

The Premier League will be voting today on whether or not to scrap VAR, after a proposal was put forward by Wolves!

'Video Assistant Refereeing' has been in place in the Premier League since 2019 and is used by most major leagues around the World. Many feel the continual start-stop interruptions spoil the fluidity of the game, not to mention inconsistent decisions, even with the benefit of replays.

"The Premier League can confirm it will facilitate a discussion on VAR with our clubs at the annual general meeting next month. Clubs are entitled to put forward proposals at shareholders' meetings and we acknowledge the concerns and issues around the use of VAR.

"However, the league fully supports the use of VAR and remains committed, alongside PGMOL [Professional Game Match Officials Limited], to make continued improvements to the system for the benefit of the game and fans."

2. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. Rutter probably should be dropped but in reality is he much worse than a lot of his team mates recently, I read one site this morning that gave Gray 1 out of 10 against Norwich losing the ball 15v times or something in first half. Summerville completely gone off the boil. Meslier a disaster waiting to happen. Gnonto offering nothing when the pressure is on. You could go on and on and there's only so many you can drop. The reality is a load of players need to regain their form and play out of their skins like against Ipswich if promotion is a realistic target. Not convinced they have it in them. We couldn't have got ab easier semi final in fairness. Norwich are absolute rubbish and if our lot can't beat them over two legs then they're not the incredible players some have been telling us about all season. Time to prove your quality lads

3. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all

They need 11 teams to vote against VAR it will be interesting to see who votes for and against. When VAR was introduced, I thought it would be used so that we never had the Maradona type incidents, not the drawing of fine lines.

My major issue with VAR is it’s still down to an individual’s interpretation. Even using VAR there have been some really bizarre decisions and some incidents not looked at. Maybe the way forward is for the coaches or team captains to have a button, they press it when they disagree with a decision and it’s looked at whilst play continues.

Marginal it’s referees call, three calls and all made wrongly then that’s it for the rest of the game. Referees have got worse since VAR as they’re now relying on it to make the big calls.

A team of VAR officials in a studio, a 4th official (who does what) and two linesmen and a match referee and they still get it so wrong. The so called big 6 actually love abusing the 4th official constantly in his ear hoping he’ll mention it to the ref at half time.

Rutter - He can be pants all game and in an instant pull off a remarkable through ball. We’ve been relying on “individual brilliance” over team display all season, tough one.

Wober they’re talking £7m so I’d expect somewhere near £10m. Him and Llorente gone asap would be nice.

4. LeedsRover1

LeedsRover1 Well-Known Member

Sadly not even Rutter’s best performances have justified his price tag, bearing in mind this is Championship football. But the amount we spent on him is not his fault. For me, bench him. It might give him the kick up the arse, I think he needs, to start performing and earn his place should we get to the final.

He’d be an asset to bring on after half time when they are tiring. For some reason I feel like playing Gelhart in the 10 role, behind Joseph might work. Crazy, I know, but he has quick feet and a decent shot. We need to mix it up and both would be so delighted to get a run out, it’d overcome the nerves others might be feeling.

5. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

The last time Geldhart played well as a 10 was in the u23s, years ago. What's he done since to keep putting him on the bench. far less the 1st XI? Nowt. Even if it was possible, he's not match fit. I'd persist with Rutter as the 10, with Joseph up front (although I'm hoping Bamford has the last 20 mins in him).

The first name on the team sheet should be James, for as long as he can last. He was more of a threat in his 2 min runout than the rest of the team put together (ok, a slight exaggeration, but you know what I mean. Gnonto can come on for him, if required.

Hope you all enjoy it. We leave Italy before the game starts, & have an internet-free sea day tomorrow. :emoticon-0183-swear Will need to survive with texts from my youngest - if we get reception. :emoticon-0183-swear

6. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

With Rutter, he tries the fancy stuff too much, and as he continuously attempts it every game, it’s got to be the coaches fault.

Farke has either instructed it or encouraged it, if he hasn’t its poor management skills as to why he hasn’t stamped it out. My bet is it’s been encouraged, I won’t complain though if it comes off tonight and leads to a goal ;).

My bigger concern is Summerville, just stop him cutting in and shooting for the top corner, you can then ignore him the rest of the game, poor at set pieces, doesn’t tackle back, greedy on the ball….

Gnonto and Summerville on the bench, bring them on at the start of the second half. Or 45 minutes each on the left

Whitejock likes this.
  7. LeedsRover1

LeedsRover1 Well-Known Member

WJ, I don’t have a problem with James starting, I think he did well in the 5 minute cameo on Sunday.

I like Georgie, but he’s currently a liability based on his performances since the international break.

With Gelhart, Bielsa thought there was a player there(which is good enough for me). I can’t argue with your comments about game time as he’s not been given a chance under Farke. I also know it’s not gonna happen. But as a one off I think it might work.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  8. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

It's up to farke what team he picks no amount of should he/will he matters a jot he'll have to live by his decisions,if he gets it right well that's what he's paid for if he's wrong then we can call him all the names under the sun ;).....as for VAR they ain't going to cancel their baby because they won't want to admit defeat, but it's a minefield that's full of ridiculously bad interpretations of the actual 'offence' ...get rid for me though personally :)

9. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Morning all,

Lot of crazy ideas on here today for changes. Everyone in panic mode is it?

Change back to the system we've played all season. Put James in for Gnonto and either Piroe or Joseph up front. Drop Gray back to Rb.

Nothing major, no gambles tonight. The above has got us to 90 points this season. It's up to Farke to get the players back to their best

FORZA LEEDS and Whitejock like this.
  10. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

The biggest complaint about Rutter is how often he tries things and most often loses the ball. Generally against parked buses. The thing is that if he was 100% successful, we'd be having cricket scores every match. Of course Farke is going to encourage that - it's called being creative. Critics want to have a look at Pablo's stats. I think you'll find his stats are of similar proportions to Rutter's, and any other players with the #10 shirt. We should all be encouraging Rutter to take these slim chances. Or he could pass the buck sideways, like everyone else. :)

Over to Aski to see if I've exaggerated or not.

hemase and Makemstine Roger like this.

11. esteponawhite

esteponawhite Well-Known Member

The VAR vote is in June, not today.
    It was brought in to solve a problem, it has not done that so bin it as it just ruins the enjoyment for the fans.

Norwich's away form has been terrible all season (19th).
    I can not see any major changes tonight, we just have to be at our best.
    Rutter can change a game in an instant so I would play him.

12. leeds down south

leeds down south Well-Known Member

Although they did win at Huddersfield, Hull, Stoke and Preston. We could have done with those results!!

13. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Because our fringe players (like Gelhardt) have barely kicked a ball this season, it makes it extremely difficult to throw them in - cold!

Joffy, Cresswell, Shaks and especially Joseph have deserved far more minutes, whilst the regulars are just about running on fumes...

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  14. ellandback

Forum Moderator

He looked sharp against Chelsea a few seasons back, which I thought may be the turning point for him to get regular time time. Alas, it did not happen.

Whitejock and Makemstine Roger like this.
  15. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

I've left teeth marks on the bog door from the last encounter, need them performing tonight, otherwise they will leave me with no alternative than to get pissed :emoticon-0107-sweat

16. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

For Rutter, Summerville and the other forwards to be at their best Gruev & Farke need to be at the top of their game.

When on form those two transition the ball from defence to attack magnificently allowing our front four to be at their best.

Since they've been off the boil we've been holding onto the ball too long at the back frustrating both the fans and also the attack. They need to get it forward quicker again

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  17. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

There you go WJ, make of it what you will.

Just based the stats on what was Pablo's best season for us, when we also finished 3rd in the Championship ( hope that's the end of the similarities to this season ) to Rutter's this season.

upload_2024-5-16_12-54-31.png

Whitejock and NostradEmus like this.
  18. DirtyLeeds

DirtyLeeds Well-Known Member

Not for the first time, eh Roger ;)

19. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

at least it's not skid marks on the back of the shirt eh Dirty <yikes>

20. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

So there you have it. Rutter kills him on fouls won. <laugh>

TBF to WJ his point is correct, players in that position if they’re trying stuff will make mistakes. Pablos pass completion rates were never great because he was often trying the killer pass.

On the days when pablo as was bad ( and yes they did exist) he could be a total liability. For the most part he was great.

Problem with rutter is everyone must know his ‘roll’ strategy by now and he just repeats the same tricks over and over… more critically he doesn’t seem to give a sh*t what part of the pitch he does it in, what the cover is, what the game situation is. He seems a lovely lad, he has loads of talent, he can be a game changer. He’s also a dipstick.

it’s compounded at the moment because he’s obviously, unfit/injured/fatigued/suffering a confidence crisis. Or a combination thereof.

Makemstine Roger and Wakey like this.