1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 3rd October)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Think its the consistency we as fans want most. Why dont the refs say if you pull a shirt its a fould and a free kick or penalty award. If everyone knows then there are no arguments, but when some are given and others not….. all this was stopped by FIFA a couple if world cups ago, they came out and said any shirt pulling or holding would lead to penalties and hey presto it stopped and we saw all sorts of routines invented like lines of players from same team holding each other until the corner etc was taken.

2. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

OLOF and Marcos Barber like this.
  3. milkyboy

haven’t seen it back myself, but heard mings had a piece of coopers shirt first

as for offside making it irrelevant? Not sure what the ruling is if the offence occurs before the player who was offside actually heads it. One for Aski.

4. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

Afternoon all,

Villa are a poor side who have to play that way to compensate for their lack of quality. Match was ruined by the ref and our players falling for it.

That was one of the most inconsistent reffing performances I have ever seen. The fouls and cards he gave against us were mostly correct but the complaint comes when the same things aren't given the other way.

Our players are frustrated by this and the villa tactics and lost their heads a bit and we lost any system or flow completely.

Strikes me that the likes of villa, Everton & wolves know they are poor sides and need to play the dark arts to try and get anything. Gerrard almost said as much. One positive is that our players don't seem to enjoy these tactics and that is a sign of confidence.

A month off seemed to have sent Meslier back two years as he flapped and made the wrong decision far too often.

Marcos Barber likes this.
  5. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

IMG-20221002-WA0004.jpg

Marcos Barber, FORZA LEEDS and Doc like this.
  6. DJMarl

DJMarl Well-Known Member

Afternoon all. The game yesterday was quite possibly the most boring game I've seen Leeds involved in, in a long time. This time against another ****e side in Villa. We just don't seem to be able to play against teams that go out to defend to the hilt because they know they are ****e and that's the only way the could get any points.

The ref needs sacking or even sending down to the National League to play due to his inconsistency of fouls/bookings. Several Villa players should have got bookings as well. Sinisterra's own fault though for the second, knowing he was already on a booking and still did something stupid. Discipline across the whole team was shocking. This is because they let Villa's tactics wind them up.

My jury is still out on Lasso though. He can certainly talk to the press well, but so far I am not seeing anything else. I hope I am wrong and we play well. We do seem to have players in the squad that have potential, but so far nothing happening.

Don't get me started about Bamford, when he's on the pitch he changes games for the better, but the wind direction just needs to change and he gets injured again!

Interested to see what happens in the next game on Sunday. It deffo needs a positive reaction to say the least. I really want to be able to call Lasso by his actual name, but until my opinion changes of him through results I just cant bring myself to doing so!

Marcos Barber, ristac and Doc like this.
  7. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Might be easier for the coach if we get a striker who can score

OLOF and DJMarl like this.
  8. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

9. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Has anyone got a video link to the passage of play ?

Just going from what I can remember of the incident, I would have given a penalty, but from a VAR point of view I'd want to see when the linesman raised his flag in comparison to the shirt pull and also see what was going on between Cooper and Ming's prior to the shirt pull that was highlighted in the replay of the game.

10. hemase

hemase Well-Known Member

I think Cooper let go at just the right time to avoid the penalty.

He had a handful of Mings shirt no doubt but he let go and Mings went down a bit theatrically. This is why I don't think a penalty was given

11. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Possibly, that's why I would like to see the incident again, so I can see if the decision was made due to an interpretation by the officials, or if an actual rule of the game applied.

My interpretation was that it was a penalty, so I want to see if there was any reason for the VAR official not to give the penalty other than being a judgement call.

12. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Cooper is always liable to give pens away I seem to think its about 3 per season, Ayling a couple, Struijk a couple and Firpo 1 and Llorente 1. Because of that we need a striker who can bit the onion bag

Marcos Barber likes this.
  13. milkyboy

cooper’s are the most annoying because they’re attempted sh1thousery. It’s like he’s forgotten they have 200 cameras at every match.

ristac, Doc and Eireleeds1 like this.
  14. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Joffy was originally in the squad but failed a fitness test prior to the match. I have no further details, as that's all they said on the radio.

Irishshako and Marcos Barber like this.
  15. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

He picks up a hell of a lot of niggly injuries doesn’t he or is it my imagination

Whitejock likes this.
  16. milkyboy

that’s what they thought… Jesse has said otherwise. No fitness issues… just hot competition for places.

He actually gave a rambling unconvincing explanation about it being a performance thing but not a performance thing… and that they gave him a run out on the pitch for fitness purposes. Go figure… as those Yankee doodles might say.

17. milkyboy

So I have just watched this back as I have a sad life with no friends or interests.

mings had a piece of cooper’s shirt, cooper had a slightly bigger piece of mings shirt. Mings fell over cheaply for such a big lad.

Mings himself was just offside himself when the free kick was taken, cooper actually very nearly pulled him back onside <laugh>

linesman flag went up correctly only when the other offside Villa player headed the ball.

Had that Villa player left it, an onside Villa player would have had a free header.

Anyway var looked at it. no penalty, correct decision.

hemase likes this.
  18. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Where did you see it Milky, I've not been able to find it so far

19. milkyboy

I recorded the game as I knew I’d miss the first 20 mins. Just watched the sky coverage again. Happened 30 mins in.

20. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

That was my original point. Offside had already been given so the ball was dead so Cooper’s “foul” couldn’t be given as play had stopped. If VAR review had found their player to have been onside then the Cooper shirt pull would have gone to VAR to review the penalty decision. Offside meant the second review wasn’t necessary.

Irishshako likes this.