1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 16th May)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, May 16, 2022.

1. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Gelhardt is an exceptional talent and is capable of moments of magic.

I just don't think he is ready to lead the line in the PL just yet. He gets old manned too often at the moment and that will stop with experience. IF we do manage to somehow stay up I'd send him to the Championship to get 30-40 games under his belt at that level learning how to handle himself against a few thugs.

The issue if we go down is whether he is good enough to lead the line in a promotion push. It would be another huge gamble by the club to not buy a striker and throw everything behind Gelhardt for next season regardless of which division we are to be in.

The worst thing for him is another season bench warming.

xbpod likes this.
  2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Either way, we have seen how KP is nowhere near as effective in a non Bielsa team, I have a feeling Bamford will be the exact same. Bamford does miss a lot of chances and he has been excused for the "other stuff" yes he had a magical season last season with no fans in a firing team but he isn't prolific enough. I think we need a new number one striker who knows where the net is.

3. Leedsdude

Leedsdude Well-Known Member

I just saw our list of yellow cards. Somehow Firpo is leading with 11 yellow cards, even though he missed loads of games!

NostradEmus and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  4. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

If you watch him you’ll understand why

ristac and NostradEmus like this.
  5. Leedsdude

Leedsdude Well-Known Member

<laugh>

6. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Somebody has to. So you'd rather play Rodrigo, James or Roberts out of position?

He's far from the finished article, but as far as having a balanced side, surely he should have been one of the top options with Bamford out!

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  7. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

He is our most prolific player.

2 pennth likes this.
  8. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Seemingly a lot of people rate him from outside our club, so let's get behind him before some other clubs fans get the chance, because it won't be long before he starts to get a bit pissed off... he's going to be a very good player that's certain

ellandback, 2 pennth and Gessa like this.
  9. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

He's not a bad high jumper going off his launch at the melee for Pascal's lifesaver.....career change :emoticon-0138-think

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  10. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Didn't let the side down and took one for the team by wiping their player out when necessary.

What's not to like and thought he had a decent game yesterday. Nothing like approaching the worldbeater standards that are required on here but adequate enough.

Gessa likes this.

11. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Firpo’s fine going forward… or with a consistent run in the side you can see he would be.. there are glimpses.

Not at the races defensively… but again bielsaball is unique and then trying to adjust to marsch. Part of me thinks with time and a run of decent luck health wise he’d be ok… and part of me thinks the premier league just doesn’t suit some… and there’s no hiding place.

12. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

I’m kind of with emu and Jammy on this. Re bamford… he was ideal for lone striker role if you have other goal scorers in the team to help out. Re joffy I feel he ‘could’ lead the line in a championship winning side, but it’s a could. No doubting the talent, just the game management. He has to learn it somewhere, but if you’re looking for an immediate return it would be a risk.

However. Marsch generally plays two up top, so there are more opportunities than there ever were under bielsa. If marsch stays I dont see why paddy, joffy and 1 other couldn’t share the load to cover injuries suspensions etc… they’d all get plenty of game time.

Anyway, all a bit defeatist. Let’s stay in the premier league.

13. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Joffy is great and after that brilliant assist he's not going to get any criticism from me. It's more about playing to his strengths and lumping high balls up to him when he's marked by Lewis Dunk definitely isn't one of them.

14. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Bielsa’s first season Derby broke FFFP rules but only got points deduction this season. Everton have o broken the same rules but by £252m, so way more. They are also playing a player who threw a flare into the crowd, therefore deserving a minimum 3 match ban……… some other teams are going to benefit from these infringements when maybe it should be this season.

The Chelsea sale is in danger of collapse and it not done in 2 weeks they are kicked out of the league. Will 2 teams go down with Chelsea?

southernwhite likes this.
  15. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

The Derby cheating thing meant legal action this year from the team who would have been promoted to the Championship and the team who didnt get into the play offs. These crimes need dealing with immediately to be fair to everyone, but never are

FollowMe&LeedsUnited likes this.
  16. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Sorry @ellandback, I think you misunderstood me (my bad). I'm talking about next season. Currently it's a no brainer to play Gelhardt up top against Brentford. There is nobody else.

If (a very big if) we stayed up, I think we need to sign another striker. An experienced striker that's ready to go. I think hanging our hat on Bamford and Gelhardt next season would be another gamble and probably a losing one.

If (more like when) we go down it would be an equally big gamble to rely on those two to get us up.

Either way, we need goalscorers, proven goalscorers. I'm not sure Bamford and Gelhardt have proven consistently to be the answer. Gelhardt could be but would you risk it.

Doc and Brizzlewhite like this.
  17. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

I'd risk Gelhardt in a 2 pronged attack

2 pennth and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  18. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Joffy should have been 3rd striker, and due to the lack of strikers this season should have been used a lot more. Because he hasnt my opinion is that we could have been safe by now, so blame Marsch. Nobody at the club can score goals yet Dan James?

2 pennth likes this.
  19. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Tbf Doc, Bielsa gave him little game time either

20. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

My second wife once described me as adequate. That sort of assessment hardly gees you up.

Marcos Barber and Jammy 07 like this.