1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 12th July)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jul 12, 2021.

1. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Oh...and as for Damsgaard .....yes he scored a free kick but was subbed off because he was **** so its a no from me.

2. Marcos Barber

Marcos Barber Well-Known Member

Morning all :emoticon-0148-yes:

It's funny I was chatting to Ben about an hour before kick off about how, although our football is so fast and free flowing, there is also a real structure to it where Bielsa drills attacking sequences into the players and described our goal against Reading a year or so ago, from Left Back to Right Wing and then a cross to the back post where Harrison scored despite having started the move from left back. The same goal happened against someone else but I can't remember who.

Anyway, the England goal last night was so similar that I said, that is exactly what I was talking about. Unfortunately, the similarity ended there, Bielsa would have been going potty if we didn't keep doing the same.

As it turns out, neither of us are England fans after all - this doesn't feel anywhere near as bad as a Leeds defeat, even a regular League game and I wasn't as euphoric as I thought I would be about reaching the final. It was pleasant and had some good banter with a few paddy mates but not really wow.

Said to Ben at the end "are you ok"? and he said, "yeah, its a load of bollox really, nothing like watching Leeds" :emoticon-0148-yes:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    OLOF, foolee, Whitejock and 8 others like this.
  3. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Okay chalk that penalty off but the Danes were equally as lucky as 1 it was never a free kick, 2 they illegally took two steps towards the England wall before taking it so that would have been 1-0 England <ok>

Irishshako likes this.
  4. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No doubt about it, Southgate isn’t in the same league as Bielsa but imagine Bielsa took charge of England. The players turn up a few days before a game and Bielsa has to get them playing Bielsa style. It wouldn’t be possible, he has players watching videos, he uses murder ball, we’ve seen new players joining Leeds sometimes don’t feature for several weeks as they’re not ready for his style of football

5. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

No offence Ristac but that’s the first time today I’ve agreed with you on something :biggrin: <whistle>

ristac likes this.
  6. Marcos Barber

Can't disagree but the tournament started a month ago, they would have been in a training camp before that too and, assuming he knew which players he was taking you wouldn't think it to be beyond anyone's wit to get them watching videos prior to meeting up.

In perspective, that is roughly as long as Bielsa had in his first pre-season and the team hit the ground running :emoticon-0148-yes:

leeds down south likes this.
  7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

You might not believe this but Yorkshire Post now running a story about Athletico Lanus and Bielsa looking at Tomas Belmonte the kid I mentioned yesterday. When I was researching him a player comparison site had him and young Viera almost neck and neck on DM skills, but had Belmonte way ahead on AM duties. Spooky Viera mentioned mate

Whitejock likes this.
  8. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

On the subject of Viera a recognised DM, Tomas Belmonte also a top DM and now just read a piece by Danny Murphy saying if he was Bielsa he would play Phillips further forward. WJ has mentioned this a few times and we have seen Koch being used as a DM for thenU23s last season we have seen Koch play DM when Phillips out, will we see Koch in the DM role more and Kalvin at No8? Who knows what treats Bielsa is cooking up for this season

Whitejock likes this.
  9. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Leave Phillips at DM, he’s not creative enough.

Leeds don’t play like England thankfully. I doubt Bielsa will be taking a leaf out of Southgate’s book any time soon.

Nothing to be learned from ineptitude.

Marcos Barber and stonkin like this.
  10. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

So Kiko has made the move on loan.
    We must have another number 2 lined up

11. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

There's nothing like huge bias when assessing a referee's game. :) Go watch the games again & try to be neutral. I've mentioned earlier that I watched the game late, allowing me to pause/rewind/mull & in the first half, Rice committed a number of fouls, but two were each worth a yellow. But your biased red & white mist will probably have skimmed over that. And how someone can blame a ref when england have world class divers, I'll never know. Apart from bias, of course.

Btw, I'm not on the moral high ground - I'm exactly the same as you with Leeds - x 100!!

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  12. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Really interesting point. He managed both Argentina & Chile for a long number of years, so he must have evolved some sort of routine, you would think. But I really can't imagine how he went about it.

leeds down south and ristac like this.
  13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Seems more of the clickbait sites jumping on Belmonte, wonder if the man from Belmonte say yeah

“According to ESPN journalist Jorge Baravalle, Leeds United are interested in Tomas Belmonte. The Premier League outfit have made an enquiry, about the possibility of signing the CA Lanus midfielder. It appears the Argentine club are holding out for a fee of just €9 million, for the services of Belmonte, who is also courted by clubs from Italy and Turkey.

Who Is Tomas Belmonte?
    A native of Lanus, Tomas Belmonte has been playing for his hometown club throughout his life. Initially starting out as a youth player, the youngster was given a promotion to the senior side in January 2018. He hasn’t had to look back since, with the player notching up almost 100 competitive appearances for CA Lanus.
    A central midfielder by trade, Belmonte has done well at Lanus, scoring 12 goals and registering four assists. He is primarily identified as a utility midfielder, one who can operate in both attacking and defensive positions.

So quite naturally, the 23-year-old is adept when it comes to offering the work rate in midfield. He can cover a lot of ground, whereas his aggression makes him a useful asset in the second line of press.

Standing at 1.78m, Belmonte is not a particularly imposing physical player. But he is quite effective in aerial duels, thus further indicating the all-round nature of his game.
    Is Belmonte A Good Option For Leeds United?
    Leeds United are in desperate need of reinforcements in the midfield department this summer. Despite the success of Kalvin Phillips, they are lacking a proper alternative, while Marcelo Bielsa might also want to add more competition in the slightly advanced role.

Belmonte could be an interesting option as he does offer versatility to the table. The fact that he can operate anywhere in central midfield means the Argentine can not only cover for Phillips at holding midfield but also compete with the likes of Mateusz Klich and Stuart Dallas.

14. esteponawhite

esteponawhite Well-Known Member

One to strike off the list, Rodrigo de Paul has signed for atletico madrid.

Marcos Barber likes this.
  15. Marcos Barber

It’s an evolving list este :emoticon-0148-yes:

16. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Maybe our PL is too diverse, Allardyce hump it forward to big guys at the front, Burnley direct ball, Man City more Bielsa style... Do the leagues in Argentina and Chile play more or less the same style of football? I guess that question could be countered by the best Argentinian players probably play in Europe?

Whitejock likes this.
  17. FollowMe&LeedsUnited

FollowMe&LeedsUnited Well-Known Member

I've done one for him

ellandback likes this.
  18. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A lovely piece too Heidi. So nice to see player / fan interaction. Sounds like he was very down to earth.

FollowMe&LeedsUnited likes this.
  19. FollowMe&LeedsUnited

FollowMe&LeedsUnited Well-Known Member

Yes he was. But I'd say the same for all of our legends from that team. Even now going to the legends do yesterday, I could have a laugh with them all which was great.

20. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

At the time Philips was the one nearly sold and if I remember correctly there was a few supporters who disagreed with this decision.<ok>