1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 10th Dec)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I don't think Bielsa would accept any bids unless he was happy to lose the player, and even then, he'd have to have a replacement lined up.

I think he'll also surprise us if (I like to think when, but am restraining myself :emoticon-0127-lipss) we get promoted. I believe Bielsa will retain the majority of the squad, as the team ethic, fitness, style of play etc. is more important to him than individual skills. There will be exceptions, of course - "If a player improves the team" - but I don't expect there will be wholesale changes.

southernwhite and davy like this.
  2. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Agreed about wholesale changes but 3 or 4 quality players would definitely need to arrive.

For memory the last time we went up to the top division we added Lukic, McAllister and Chalky White and finished a very fine 4th. The following year we added Dorigo and Rod Wallace and took the title.

Also seem to remember we added Chapman half way through the promotion season which made a massive difference.

southernwhite and Whitejock like this.
  3. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Nice theory but he didn’t want to sell viera!

An offer for a key player would be a test of radz’ resolve and ambition. But if you're not extending existing contracts for key players whose deals are running down, Then you are by default inviting interest. If Roofe isn’t on anything like the £ Bamford is... but is first choice and scoring, what’s his agent going to be doing?

I don’t think we’ll sell anyone, but nothing surprises me in football.

4. Whitejock

Interesting. I very much got the impression that he DID want to sell Vieira. He certainly didn't play him. U23s & U18s were getting more game time than him pre-season.

I'm sure I read that Phil Hay had got to the bottom of the contracts extensions issue today. Pretty sure he reported that they were always scheduled for the new year, and most certainly not in December, the busiest & most crucial month of the season, promotion-wise. Makes sense if true.

5. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

If you mean now - absolutely not, we don’t want to change a successful squad. If we go up then before next season that’s a different one, maybe.

6. Jammy 07

The more I think about it if we can get our injured players back we have one hell of a team/squad.

Ayling and Douglas both quality full backs with Pontus and Cooper working well as pair in the centre of defence.

Midfield is well stocked with Phillips, Forshaw, Klich and Siaz.

Hernandez, Clarke and Allioski working openings from out wide.

Roofe and Bamford both good strikers at this level.

Plenty of others to fill in when necessary but if we can get our best players back and firing we should go very close to finishing top 2.

7. Jammy 07

For the record on a Monday after 4 wins on the spin and no game until the weekend it's the right time to get giddy.

Come Friday it's back to being pragmatic and realistic again, realising a point away at Bolton wouldn't be a disaster.

8. Whitejock

A most likeable assessment, but you missed out the best bit - the way Bielsa is slowly breaking the kids into the team. It's been most helpful so far, but the true benefits have yet to come, perhaps as early as next season. Really takes the pressure off us when it comes to signings. So many players have signed for Leeds in the past & not been able to cope with playing for such a big team. That's not an issue for these kids. Means we shouldn't sign so many duds in future.

9. Whitejock

Just been reading something on FB that might account for Alioski going a bit off the boil. Apparently he's been 'smashing' Emma. That's a lot of territory to cover, so no surprise if he's a little fatigued. :emoticon-0165-muscl <laugh>

bucks_is_leeds and southernwhite like this.
  10. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

Up & Down those mountains,that sure is a lot of territory WJ <laugh>

11. milkyboy

This was the article that talked about Ronnie sale and how we needed to sell players to break even.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/45071101

Think viera was going to start season as 1st team squad player, behind Phillips, but he was on the keep list wj.

Re contract extensions. Don’t buy the busy month thing. It’s agents and contracts team who sort them out... busiest month? January!

Club may have wanted them then for some other reason, but there are 3 first teamers down to 18 months I can think of. Think it’s ‘running a tight ship’ or just a bit skint unless the 49ers give us a bit of cash!

Whitejock likes this.
  12. milkyboy

Interesting... in her last match report she said he had a poor first touch and terrible ball control.

Whitejock likes this.
  13. milkyboy

And he’s only a little lad... he could get lost in them... or pick up a mountaineering injury. Let’s hope he has extreme sports insurance.

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  14. w.c.dukenfield

w.c.dukenfield Well-Known Member

Don't forget Appo.

15. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Add into that Berardi, Brown, Baker and Harrison (Both to sort themselves out) Halme, Nessy, Pearce, Shacks....

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  16. Whitejock

My bad! Guess my memory is playing tricks on me re. Vieira's sale. :) I do note in the article, however, that Bielsa stated that he wasn't ready for the first team, so my recollection about his pre-season playing time stands up.

17. milkyboy

Yes you were spot on. Everyone was saying, why does he persevere with the useless Phillips and not play viera:biggrin:

Whitejock likes this.
  18. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

And she hoped he’d be better in the box than when playing for Leeds <whistle>

19. davy

davy Well-Known Member

Probably explains the endless grinning too.

<laugh>