1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 6th Sept)

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Sep 6, 2019.

1. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Snatching at chances is usually a sign of confidence

The expected goals stat factors in whether someone is having a speculative ping from 40 yards or tap in from 6.

Last year Bamford and roofe were 1 and 3 in the championships expected goals stats, their figures were very similar. Basically if you play for this Leeds team you should be scoring goals and if you’re not scoring 1 in 2 you are underperforming.

My take is that you get a lot of chances playing for this side, many of which are half chances, so you will never convert the proportion you might in another side, but the volume of half chances and still a significant number of good ones means you should be leading scorer in the division or near as dammit if you stay fit and are selected.

Whitejock, Doc and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  2. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Thanks with helping me out with the articulation, Doc & Milky. Wasn't sure if I'd made my point sufficiently clear or not. Almost sounds like I was making excuses for Bamford, but you guys have latched onto the reality of the situation too.

I for one am convinced that Bamford would have had a much higher conversion rate if he played for a team that wasn't so heavily defended against. Simples - not so many defenders up against him all of the time. Then again, to be balanced, if I think of some players & managers over the years, a common criticism of a player was often "he's an instinctive player - if we give him too much time on the ball, he hesitates & messes it up".

Doc likes this.
  3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Yeah and think about what disruption caused when he now has to think about putting someone on a kid who has scored 6 goals in his last 4 games. Maybe Bamford gets more space...

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  4. sniffer1

sniffer1 Well-Known Member

last season i would have said ok leave foreskin out but he has improved this season maybe its because this is our centenary year and all the players have been told they better get us promoted this season 1919 - 2019