1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The League 1 Grand National

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by RedandWhiteManofKent, Apr 8, 2011.

1. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

The runners and riders all lined up in August, 46 Hurdles in front of them. In this race to finish in the top two everyone started together unlike the previous campaign where Southampton started behind the rest of the field.

Southampton ridden by Alan Pardew were favourites but got off to a very slow start. There were distractions with the sad loss of Southamptons owner and at the end of August with Southampton 14th they unseated their rider. For a while they run aimlessly and by mid september were only 3 from the back of the field. Whilst this was going on Huddersfield took the lead closely followed by Peterboro, carlisle and Mk Dons.

Southampton then got a new rider in Nigel Adkins who had success in this race before. Was he the man to lead Southampton home. Almost immediately Southampton gained momentum and started overtaking the field moving upto 9th by the end of october. Brighton had by now had been negotiating the hurdles the best and had a clear lead. By the end of Novermber southampton moved into 7 and despite not running much in december due to poor weather had moved upto 5th. The end of the year saw Brighton still leading with Sheffield Wednesday in second.

By the end of January Sheffield wednesday had a bad fall and fell away from the leading pack. It would be in the fans interest to put them down out of kindness. Southampton movied into 4th place. The top 6 places were begining to take shape, with many teams changing riders.

As things stand Southampton are in their highest position in the race at 3rd and are looking good to snatch 2nd place but face pressure from Huddersfield and Peterboro still.

Brighton have surely won the race unless they do a devon locke but who will finish second. Have Southampton got the pedigree and strength to beat the others in a photo finish. Will one of the front runners fall at the final fence and could a rank outsider come from nowhere.

If youre a betting man, where is your money right now. What will be the final 1-2-3.

2. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Good summary. Must admit it looks good in this format. Can't go for anything but Brighton, Saints and Peterborough. Refuse to put Saints anywhere but 2nd; we are the form horse. Play off winner is harder to call. Posh finish third, but anyone can win play-offs with some luck.

3. KingslandSFC

KingslandSFC Active Member

Like your Grand National twist to the League One action Red&White Man of Kent

Welcome to NOT606 - Make sure you tell your friends about NOT606

For your first thread - very good...look forward to seeing more and how the last dash to line goes!

Any problems drop me or Beddytare a message as we are Mod's for the Saints Board. - Happy to help

4. KingslandSFCMobileTuckShop

Love it, just brilliant<ok><ok>

edit: forgot to say 1. Brighton 2. SAINTS, 3. 'Udders

5. SFC4BAG

SFC4BAG Well-Known Member

Fantastic start RAWMOK.
    Personally I feel the long run in will be to our advantage as we have a more varied way of riding the merry go round at the moment.I also have a feeling one of the top four will falter at the final hurdle and we will romp into 2nd place.

Brighton
    Saints
    Peterborough.

6. MMJ

MMJ Well-Known Member

saints highest position this season has been second, not third

7. SwindonSaint

SwindonSaint Member

^ Beat me to it. Southampton usually finish seasons strongly so I would put £10 on a straight tricast of 1. Brighton 2. SAINTS 3. Peterborough

8. angleseysaint

angleseysaint Member

I love the Grand National analogy! Southampton are running strongly but have two more fences to negotiate than Huddersfield, and 'Rochdale Brook' is a difficult hurdle - many runners, including Brighton, have stumbled there. I am optimistic however that come the final hurdle only Brighton will be ahead of us. COME ON SAINTS.

9. angleseysaint

angleseysaint Member

SORRY, FORGOT: 1st Brighton, 2nd SUPER SAINTS, 3rd who cares!