1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Latest Wokeism

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Angelicnumber16, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

That's what I do too

Regarding Multi racial families, that you seldom see out in public. Is this because in our society they are rarer than Hens teeth ?

Truss and her Government are apparently opposed to the woke policies of virtually every major company in this country, and all of the overpaid and needless Inclusion & Diversity roles that have sprung up over the last few years within them (including the company that I work for), spreading their poison, woke accusations and values that very few people recognise. Liz needs to start with the Civil Service.

And according to records from the Royal Navy, over the centuries from the Middle Ages to the final abolition of slavery, which we were one of the main champions of which is often conveniently forgotten), over 2000 British Navy lives were lost in trying to stop the practice.
    So I hope the British families of those lost look to seek suitable reparation from the African 'kings' who rounded up and caged their own people on beaches ready to be sold into slavery.
    That turns the tables on the accusations of us always being seen as the bad guy a bit !

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Slavery is a **** show and quite rightly hated and condemned by most of humanity but why is the British white nation continually hounded for the sins of nearly 200 years ago but you never hear the critique of France, Holland, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Germany who were up to their necks in the slave trade, they all had minor empires,military control, they all exploited the natural resouces and mineral wealth as ruthlessly as science and manpower allowed, we always seem to be the villains, you never hear protests about other nations ill doings with regard to the slave trade.

Our shoulders are broad but how long must we endure this guilt complex?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  3. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

With most that still have issues, taking advantage of the slave trade still going on today....but hey, that's different!!!

4. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

It is an interesting topic. The true picture is Britain was a very active participant in a quest to abolish the slave trade across the globe, using force via the Royal Navy (West Africa squadron etc) versus European and African nations, and in the Americas.

Britain abolished slaving earlier than Western counterparts. We also did not have to have a war of independance to do this as America did.

Try a proud complex.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  5. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Everyone who was anyone was at it back then, looking back with todays values it was disgusting. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I am proud we were amongst the first to ban slavery. Recognising you got something wrong, and having the strength of character to change it, is a sign of strength, not weakness, something to be proud of, not to feel guilty about.

The worst thing we can do is whitewash history, or else it is likely to repeat itself. Keep the statues, and don’t change the names of buildings, but educate people, that’s the best way to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

6. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

some of the Black people fronting the advert and the White and other ethnic always seem to have a mixed family in the back ground which feature more than 1 race?

It is [ as RR always says ] " that old chestnut" selective choice of putting forward your argument/ comment. Without those western African nations rounding up and selling them, instead of killing them!!! would there have been a slave trade?
    i am afraid I look on heritage with content, I am here simply because Hitler started a war, a Japanese kamikaze hit the aircraft carrier my father was on, but far enough away from his bofors to only scar him for life over a fifth of his body... and the fact when returning to UK FOR REPAIRS he was posted to Yeovilton 1 of about 8 places the crew were sent to whilst carrier in dock! How many of the thousands that would have been victims of the vicious wars between warring factions back then in Africa were traded instead of killed? and can now look down from heaven and say wow my family has really grown in the last 400 years!!!

7. realred1952

People take the worst part forget the good part and the real truth about slavery is out there in the internet and dozens of programmes [ a few by well known black people who have excelled by their own efforts ] Slavery was not just 1 generation, it covered many a few hundred years [ look it up and read it ] Britain joined in late, were first to abolish it and the time [ circa 50 years ] involved was a fraction of the Portugese and Spanish ........
    Because of the short span of time all the efforts at condemnation is concentrated on the one or 2 people that stood out as "the villains" [ again read it up, but dont read article read a lot as there are fluctuations of truth/ fibs in any one article ]

8. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

According to what was said yesterday, we were the 3rd country to abolish slavery shortly after Denmark and Haiti
    I never knew that

9. realred1952

interesting, will have to follow that up !!

10. realred1952

done a bit of reading and it is confusing, there is many different interpretations of ending slavery. Haitii became an [ country ] island in 1804 when France [ via Napoleon ] lost 13,000 souls to yellow fever and "deserted" the Country leaving behind the slave population who then instantly abolished slaves. However there was a whole raft of "governed" places that did so many years before, albeit mainly the trading of as opposed to the slaves being free.

britain in the late 1700's had already bagan the process of not trading and and banning slavery .... as I mentioned rather confusing .....