1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Jewell Ultimatum...

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM, Sep 16, 2012.

1. tractor bhoy

tractor bhoy Well-Known Member

I wish I could Guru.
    On Delaney going - he apparently said he was unhappy here and I can see the logic of not keeping him here but then you do need a replacement.
    On not getting a replacement. I dont believe that any manager thinks they can survive on 2 defenders. Which makes me think it wasnt just down to Jewell.
    If it was his choice alone then he deserves to be sacked but do you honestly think he said he didnt need anyone else?
    which brings me back to the point that nobody actually knows where the biggest problem comes from.

2. Guru of Ipswich

Guru of Ipswich Well-Known Member

so then, if your saying that in all probability PJ didn't want to be left with 2 CB's (which i can't see any manager worth his salt doing), then obviously Clegg has had a hand in it, either by agreeing to release delaney before a replacement was found or cocking up a near done deal, or by reducing the wage budget in such a way that it is having a detrimental effect to results!

If one part of the club was working well i would see a glimmer of hope for us, unfortunately all the cogs are breaking up so we are in effect ****ed!

3. tractor bhoy

Guru, well done after 10 pages of arguments you have got the point or my point at least. Calling for Jewell sacking is all well and good and understandable but if the rest of the cogs are useless it wont have any real inpact. I dont have an argument against Jewell being sacked except that I have a feeling that he is probably the least problematic of the 3, if only on the fact his long term signings have all been worthy additions to the club. Not much to shout about but its more than what I can see Clegg or Evans currently doing.

4. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Guys

None of us know who is truly to be blamed but at the end of the day ME is the boss and actually was our saviour so you can't blame him. That leaves us with Jewell and Clegg, jewell has screwed up with team selection and lack of addressing the defensive situation and Clegg has just screwed everything up!! In short both should go!!

5. tractor bhoy

Spanish, I see your point and as we debated yesterday, without cash then we cant get rid but that doesnt rule him out from being either a part of the problem or the biggest problem
    On cash, he actually took over our debt and is taking £3m a year from us on interest payments alone- are you suggesting that is in the best interests of our club?

6. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

I do think that Jewell has to go however i don't think he is the only one at fault..........

7. raging eyejuice

Don't blame yourself plum, just because you only buy two pies at half time doesn't make it all your fault. I think your being a bit hard on yourself mate.

8. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

You said HARD ON.........:p

9. raging eyejuice

sorry about that, it just popped up.

10. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

That's because he's sticking up for you!

<whistle>

11. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

We are gradually losing ground on the teams around us. Falling gate attendances alone will have a serious knock on effect to the amount of money that is available for players. A spell in league one is risky but could be what we need. In recent seasons the three teams that have come up from league one have generally been better than some that are already in the championship. There are obviously good players lower down and if they can be moulded into a team, prove that they can compete at a higher level. It doesn't really feel like we have a team, more like a collection of players that don't compliment each other or can work as a unit.

12. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Relegation is never a good thing IMO...

13. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

It is risky, but some teams have really benefitted from it, Norwich and Saints for instance. It just seems like it is an opportunity to take stock and re-evaluate the team and our targets. There's no doubting that the ones who gain promotion do well.

14. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Knowing us if we get relegated to League 1 we would probably fall through the trap door again! <doh>

15. King_of_Portman_Rd

King_of_Portman_Rd Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Have to agree, you can name two who have really flourished (Norwich, Saints) a couple who have done ok but were ultimately there too long (Leeds, Forrest, Leicester?) but then the others who have simply disappeared or yoyo'd (Wednesday, Posh, Sheff Utd, Preston, S****horpe, Charlton, Millwall) and probably Coventry so I would never look at relegation as a good thing even if in 10 years time it turned out to be the best thing that happened to us, it wouldn't make it any easier to bare if/when it happens

16. johnnywarksmoustache

Sorry to be padantic KOPR, but Leicester actually went up as Champions of League 1 at the first time of asking! <ok>

17. johnnywarksmoustache

Just heard, and this is just a rumour obviously, from a mate of mine that Harry Redknapp is definately being considered and negotiations are going on as we speak. This comes from a very good source of mine who works at ITFC and no not at one of the burger bars!

18. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Not sure what to think about that. I would imagine Harry would be insisting on a large war chest for him to come here. If Marcus is willing to bankroll Harry, why isn't he making funds available for Jewell?

19. johnnywarksmoustache

He does give me the odd tit-bit of information from time to time and he reckons that talks have been going on! I don't know anymore than that but it could explain why ME has been tight with the cash in the summer! Interesting times whatever happens.

20. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Do you think Harry could do better with our current personnel?