1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 'I Told You So' Thread

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by YorkieLancsHampyLondoner, Apr 26, 2014.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Had to be done, Weighty.

Of course I'm disappointed that our late flurry never materialised, but as is the way with these things statistical patterns are there for a reason.

As it's turned out all the ground me made on the play offs has evened out with us losing ground in equal measure.

With this squad, we're not going to challenge next season either although we're not a million miles off - at the very least we need some more goals from another fairly prolific striker, we need a talisman like Williams, we need more balance down the right hand side with a proper full back.

For now, we can enjoy the Budgies' predicament, we can enjoy watching Giggsy breathe some life and fun back into Man United, we can enjoy Liverpool's wonderful football and first Premier League title, we can enjoy Chelsea going for gold in the Champions League and then we can sit back and enjoy a majestic World Cup in Brazil safe in the knowledge that England aren't going to bother the latter stages this time around.

It's going to be a cracking summer, we just need to see those transfers happening this time!

2. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Utter twaddle.......<cheers>

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Proof of the plum pudding is in the eating <ok>

4. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

<laugh> .....I think over the season you have said were are gonna be relegated/ make the play offs/ miss out / finish inside/outside the top ten / had relegation form ......so you seem to hedge ya bets...:emoticon-0102-bigsm

5. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

<laugh> I remember Hampy the Sage saying that we were cut adrift with no hope of surviving last season!

6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Nah, it's panned out as expected. There's always a chance something very unusual can happen so I was excited as everyone else when it looked like it might. Now we've had a bump right back to reality.

7. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.....:emoticon-0102-bigsm<laugh>

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Interesting, since I WAS right Weighty <ok><laugh>

9. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

One of your stances was.....<laugh>....

I think the pressure of being on the verge of the play offs got into the heads of the players .....never mind onwards and upwards.

10. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

I agree with weighty, I think the pressure told. Only Williams has really been in a play-off hunt (in the championship at least) before and he's not our player so it's hardly surprising. It's disappointing not to take the dream into a winnable last game but it's a fantastic foundation for a play-off push, or more, for next season.

Mick finished just outside the play-offs with wolves before taking them on to be champions so I think play-offs is, for once, a realistic expectation for next season.

11. wellyblue

wellyblue Well-Known Member

I believe that one Budgie actually has that quoted as his sig...<laugh>

12. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I really don't think you were really proved right as it were. I don't think many of us thought it was likely we'd make the playoffs but no one wrote us off completely as you had been doing since November time, and we came pretty close

13. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, there is a scenario where Ipswich could end up in 12th place, if results conspire. Having read a lot of positive stuff in recent weeks, if 12th was the final position, how would this be viewed by you, as on paper little or no progress appears to have been made.

14. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

There is so much that you have to put into context! Mick has done a very good job with what he has and a lot of Town fans me included realised early on that we would not be serious contenders this season. To get us to within 2 games of the playoffs says a lot about how Mick has got this average group playing above their collective abilities for most if the season! Mick finished outside the playoffs in his first season at Wolves and then went up as Champions the following year! I'm not saying that we will do that but I expect at least playoff place next season. We need one good summer of transfer activity and Mick will know his targets and what he wants.

Yes disappointed a little but not surprised and now we focus on the summer and building on what we have!

15. ThaiCanary

It's really fine margins (and all that), where just a few points can make such a massive difference. I thought two weeks ago you would sneak in to 6th, and kept quiet as this of course just could not be considered by me this season <laugh> but now that has but put on the back burner, I am quite amazed that it is possible to end up as low as 12th. Just another freaky Championship season I guess, and one we will be part of once again come August I would image, as of this minute <wah>

16. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

My told you so's were,November/December: we'd be nearer mid table than the playoffs and more recently :we'd miss out on the playoffs and the Budgies would survive both because of goal difference(still very much touch and go for them!).

17. stephenhawkingsfootballboots

There's something odd about seeming so pleased that you correctly predicted we'd miss out on a play-off spot.

Congratulations. I think. <yikes>

Oh well. At least Manure have scored.

18. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I'm not pleased about it just realistic!

19. stephenhawkingsfootballboots

Just had a look at the Prem table. If Norwich lose today, anything other than a draw between Cardiff and Sunderland would put Norwich into the drop zone.

I was starting to think they were safe...

20. ThaiCanary

Did you work that out by yourself? Well done that man <applause>
    Had you not been so blinkered, you would have noticed the dross that was going on north of the border for so many months <ok>