1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Holiday Thread

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Ponders Revisited, Feb 20, 2018.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He also kicked the British forces out as I recall. Thing is there were a reasonable amount of Maltese serving in the Navy at the time but old Mintoff was a bit of a leftie and basically didn't care much about it all.

DickPlumb likes this.
  2. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

I know the areas very well, I can tell you a few towns where you can comfortably buy a decent sized house for £150,000 that would cost you £400,000 in London.

DickPlumb likes this.
  3. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

Where?

4. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

<laugh> as if Royston is going to tell you Elf... he may be planning to buy a house in the West Country <ok>

DickPlumb likes this.
  5. The Elfsborg Sparrow

Why not? I have posted my property in Brasil.

6. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

You moved to Bromley to stalk Royston he probably wouldn't want you near a property in the West Country.... he is obviously looking for something there :)

7. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

A bit of a leftie is a euphemism. But he wanted to protect the Maltese residents from people abroad buying properties and renting them out at prices the Maltese couldn't afford. We suffered a financial hit in the selling of the bar and my Dad's property but Mintoff was only trying to protect the residents of his own Country. I guess that's all we can ask politicians to do.

Ponders Revisited likes this.
  8. The Elfsborg Sparrow

Ffs I have been living here since 1993.

9. Ponders Revisited

Ponders Revisited Well-Known Member

Great post, SG.

For me, Dartmoor is one of the wonders of the world. I love the towns of Okehampton and Tavistock, but if I were to move to Dartmoor, I'd do my best to buy a property in Sticklepath. On one of my visits to see the tors, I experienced all four seasons (including snow, mist and beating sunshine) in the space of an hour, and it was on the very same day that I slipped and fell into a bog. I must have upset the Crockern, eh?

10. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nah you were probably pissed Ponders..............

Must admit Dartmoor is a pretty wild place. It is said that if you don't like the weather, wait an hour and you'll get something else. I confess that there are a fair few places I haven't visited on the Moor although I do know Tavistock quite well.

Royston seems to want to reach for the ruler on size and price even though I have said twice that I acknowledge prices in the South East and London are far higher. But, if you want to live close to the sea and it is for example in a smallish town in Cornwall or Devon then you wouldn't buy the garage for £150k. There is for example a small village just outside Dartmouth called Dittisham where prices are very seldom less that £900k. In Cornwall the locals are being forced out of towns because they cannot compete anymore with the cost of property there. Half the houses are empty for two thirds of the year because they are second homes. If you want a 2 bed property which is ex council on an estate in an inner city you could buy it for £120k maybe. Not what I'd call desirable for a second home though or sizeable. I also know the area very well mostly because I already live here and don't have to dream about properties anymore.

As for Mr Mintoff I reckon he was concerned for the locals but by kicking out the Navy he sort of cut his nose off to spite his face at the time. He lost a lot of revenue that they all spent there Dick which could not have possibly helped the local ecconomy. Mind you he did nick all of the married quarters for no charge so the housing situation must have improved. I never could quite get my head around the decision though and it killed yet another shore base abroad where matelots could go for a married accompanied posting.

11. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

Mintoff also cosied up to the Libyans which was not great for the British. One of my Maltese Cousins worked in the Prime Ministers office at the time of Mintoffs reign. Most of the things she has told me can't be posted on a public forum.

12. Miketyson2007Junior

Miketyson2007Junior Well-Known Member

The new owner of Hapoel Katamon Jerusalem FC...

Attached Files:

13. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Bloody hell...looks like @baraettmattesvensson <laugh>

14. Miketyson2007Junior

Miketyson2007Junior Well-Known Member

15. The Elfsborg Sparrow

16. The Elfsborg Sparrow