1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The great Norwich city goalkeeper debate

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DUNCAN DONUTS, Aug 11, 2018.

?

Who should play in goal ?

1. Matthews

10.5%
  2. Krul

73.7%
  3. McGovern

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Fahrmann

15.8%
  1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

2. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I'll PM you if you want to say 'Hello'

4. Forgot_My_Lines

Ok mate. Will need to find out where I am meeting them and where we are sitting etc. I think he gets corporate tickets, so not sure if its in a box, or if you have a meal before etc. Need to find all that out first <cheers>

JM Fan likes this.
  5. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Krul is 30 McGovern 34 this makes no sense at all, 14 years developing Matthews and we release him now .

If Krul gets Injured suspended or just turns out to be not very good we will almost certainly need to buy another keeper in January .

Canary Spring likes this.
  6. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I would love to have kept Remi ,but is it fair to deny him the chance of first team football just to keep him in reserve?

7. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Yes absolutely, he is under contract, we have an experienced keeper who has barely played in the last cuple of years so is a moderate risk, better to keep him as back up with the possiblitiy of impressing in cup games than leave ourselves exposed to the possibility of Krul not being any good and not recapturing his old magic. If Krul carries on the way he's started, Remi could have been No.1 by October. We now might have McGovern in goal!

I think this could be a bad move by the club.

Bah!

8. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard

I think to have had a couple of good seasons in the PL makes him potentially/formerly top class for the championship. He fits the Webber profile, players who once were highly thought of who have lost their way and he believes have the right charactor to get back to their best. This tactic is clearly not going to work every time, as you say we can only hope that it will in Tim's case.
    Is he better at this moment in time than Matthews? That is the most important question and honestly I have no idea, the only way we're going to find out is with time. He hasn't exactly covered himself in glory so far though.

Bah!

9. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Yes, but if he's not what we want going forward better to get rid and replace with another young keeper who we think we can develop into the type of keeper we want. No place for sentiment in professional football either way.

10. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

Fraser Forster is being made available for loan...

11. Forgot_My_Lines

If we had any money, that would be a beautiful return. Unfortunately, they p*ssed it all down a drain.

It's Krul, McGovern and Oxborough.

JM Fan likes this.
  12. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

Yes, the same as Pritchard last season. SW's philosophy of if a player doesn't want to be here, we will move him on is like cutting off your nose to spite your face. I don't blame Remi if he felt hard done by, but to loan him out with an option to buy (if that part is true) is just nuts.

13. canary-dave

I don't think it's cutting off your nose to spite your face, if you force players to stay when they want to go you'll end up with a team full of skulking Oliveira types, not interested in playing properly.

14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

From his tweet yesterday - 'After 14 years at @NorwichCityFC my time has came to an end, I want to thank the club for giving me such an opportunity over these past years and can only wish you all the best for the future', it seems he has decided his future lies elsewhere.
    IMO, he was 'between a rock and a hard place!!'

canary-dave likes this.
  15. Canary Spring

Maybe that was a bad analogy, but you can't let every player go who's unhappy about not playing or just thinks the grass is greener somewhere else. Club and player commit to each other when they sign the contract.

General Melchett and canary-dave like this.
  16. canary-dave

In an ideal world <ok>

Canary Spring likes this.
  17. Canary Spring

That article was what made me think it was Remi who pushed for the transfer. If the feeling was mutual between Remi and the club that he should move on, then fair enough.

18. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

DF's take on the GK situation - 'Head coach Daniel Farke is happy with the goalkeeper options available to him at Norwich City and is not intending to replace Remi Matthews following the academy product’s switch to Bolton. The 24-year-old local lad has joined Wanderers on loan ahead of a permanent transfer being sealed when the January transfer window opens, having seemingly failed to impress Farke during pre-season. Matthews’ departure leaves Farke with new signing Tim Krul and Northern Ireland international Michael McGovern competing for the number one shirt and 20-year-old Aston Oxborough providing cover.
    “You always look as a head coach and you want to add (Jordan) Pickford or Manuel Neuer or whatever – that would always be nice but I don’t think Stuart Webber will sort this out,” Farke joked.

“I’m totally happy with my goalkeepers. It’s a little bit tricky after such a game (Krul making an error during Saturday’s 4-3 loss to West Brom) but in general I think we can be really pleased to have Tim Krul around.
    '
    http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/canaries-matthews-bolton-deal-1-5648146

canary-dave likes this.
  19. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It sounds like that "option to buy" is actually a free transfer, according to various twitter accounts. Bit disappointed if that's true, how long a contract did he have here?

20. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

If it's NOT a free transfer, it certainly won't help our bank balance and will be 'undiclosed'.