1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Great Dane

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Dier Hard, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

So we're more or less waiting for confirmation that Eriksen will be an Inter player very soon. He's been seen in Italy and that's usually a countdown to an inevitable announcement by both clubs as Italians love their airport arrival videos.

Disappointing end to his Spurs career but 6 and a half years at the club, 2 Spurs player of the year awards, one of which was in our best Premier League season to date, 305 appearances in all competitions, 69 goals and 89 assists. 1st in assists and chances created since he's been in the Prem, beating the likes of Silva, Mata, Hazard and Ozil. Owner of the best assist I've seen live with that one for Alli against Chelsea in the FA Cup semi final. There are probably people who've done far less for the club and been branded a legend.

Little reminder of what this guy could do:

Inter are getting some player if he plays like he can, all the best you Danish Wizard, Skol!

2. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

He was wonderful a lot of the time, if anonymous some of the time. It’s hard to know whether his recent loss of form is just one of those things that happens to footballers sometimes or if it’s because he really did down tools. It’s tarnished the memory of him a little if I’m honest but I think given time I’ll remember him at his best, not how it ended.

At his best he was a surprisingly hard working (to those non-Spurs fans who didn’t see him all the time), technically fantastic footballer who could do it all. I agree with your point DH on the other thread that he’d have left sooner and for more money if more teams needed a player in his position.

Serie A is stronger than some give it credit for but he’ll tear it up there I think.

Dier Hard likes this.
  3. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I think his drop in form could be a mix of different factors. Subconsciously I just think his head wasn't right, even though both Jose and Poch continued to say how professional he was, I think Eriksen's head was already in Italy/ Spain and so it showed in his form. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if he was just mentally and physically battered at Spurs. We all talk of how we overuse and over-rely on Kane, it was much worse for Eriksen, 6 full years here and he had zero cover whilst being the sole person we relied on for creativity. Kane has had Janssen and Llorente as his back up, whilst we've also relied on Son, Dele, Eriksen, Chadli and Lucas for a good number of goals over the years too. When Eriksen weren't in the side it often showed and that level of reliability - especially when unfortunately we've won **** all - can probably take it's toll on a player.

It's definitely a **** end though, regardless of any possible excuses for him but all in all I won't allow half a season to mar the fact he's been one of the best players this club has had in recent history.

Over to you, Gio (and Tanguy!)
    27492339570252.jpg

4. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Kane gets regular breaks by getting injured. Eriksen never seems to be unavailable. I think Kane would have played as much (wrongly on both counts) as Eriksen if he'd stayed fit.

5. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

It’s a shame the biggest game in most of our lives came when his heart had left the place

Good luck in your new adventure you miserable ****...I’m afraid my heart is not really in this post

Soz

6. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

He's a very nice, reserved bloke and there just seems to be a spark missing in him, which ,most sportsmen have in abundance. He wasn't cut out for Barca or Madrid and we weren't fighting with other clubs when we signed him, either.

A truly talented footballer and a joy with the ball at his feet but I can't say that I ever really loved him. Although only here for 2 seasons, it feels like Rafa VdV left a bigger imprint. His lack of that spark has placed a ceiling on him that his abilities haven't. If he ratted like Lo Celso, he'd not be going to Inter.

I don't blame him for his downward spiral in form. It's an obvious risk when a player indicates that he wants to move on. We should have laid the law down earlier and forced a move for him. Two managers continued to pick him to start when they shouldn't have. That's on them.

As with Poch, once you're gone, you're gone. It's all about the next game and under Mourinho, with Lo Celso and Ndombele, I see us as a 4-3-3 set up and he doesn't fit into that system very well - a bit like Joe Cole under Mourinho at Chelsea. He wasn't the future under this manager.

Spurf likes this.
  7. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

He's seen some things

Not least that shirt...

please log in to view this image

The Changing Man likes this.
  8. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

Never rated him as uo there with the best, too inconsistent and delicate. 300k pw and might win something before he hangs up his boots for good is a win win move for him.

In hindsight levy shouldve sold him 2 summers ago and reinvested as hes not been very good for a while now

What's the fee 20m or so?

9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I think van der Vaart seemingly left a bigger imprint because he was pretty new to what we'd soon experience. We never had a number ten capable of scoring or creating like he could. He also had a bigger reputation due to being the finished product and also a bigger personality than Eriksen. We signed Eriksen as a young lad and he's always been more reserved than Rafa. If in a hypothetical world we were signing Eriksen from Inter, fans would be going in a frenzy.

Both had very similar contributions and effects on the side though, albeit Rafa scored more than he assisted, Eriksen the other way round, Eriksen just also done it over a longer period.

Loved watching both players but I'd have Eriksen over van der Vaart, can play a full 90 minutes and I think he had a little bit more to his game than Rafa, just not the personality which endeared so many to the Dutchman.

10. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

If the wages are what's reported I hope he gets a decent haircut

Dier Hard likes this.

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

12. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Great player.

But Peter Schmeichel is the Great Dane for obvious reasons.

I think he's been the best player in the PL is his position in the last 5 years aside from D Silva and de Bruyne - neither of whom probably bear direct comparison. I don't get how Ajax sold him so cheaply - and why no other clubs were bidding for him.

13. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Because he looks like Scooby-Doo?

14. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Shame about this season but up until then he was a really good player for us.
    Have put him in the Robbie keane bracket...his ending stopped him being a egend but I can see why others feel I am wrong.

I hope he does well elsewhere.

15. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  16. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

It's probably his cool personality that enables his thoughtful and, at his best, dynamic play, but football is the most passionate of sports and if you don't show that side of your nature fans will not warm to you. I am almost certain that if I met Eriksen I would like him as a human being, I have just never been that excited by his play. Strangely even when he has scored spectacular goals they never 'felt' that good. Compare him to the impact on fans, not the game, that Lucas has made in a relatively short Spurs career.

I am confident your assessment of him is accurate DH but I could never think of him as a Spurs great.

17. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

The good moments were great the bad moments were shocking

For someone who is lauded as one of our most creative players time and time again he wasn’t half **** at taking corners. Scored 2 goals from Free kicks since 2016...it might be one, maybe I’m wrong

For me, greats shine in great games...he was a silky player...we have had many of them over the years.

He will do well at Inter because they are at the top...so more times than not...they will be the better team so no need for Eriksen to try to find the Viking in him. Looking forward to watching his no show against Juve.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  18. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Even though he been pretty garbage this year i will be glad hes gone. Hes been your best player in recent years and hes light years ahead of the likes of ozil and hazard in terms of fitness and work rate.

Heres his record against the top 6 in case you were wondering if he was a bottler

Chelsea - 15 apps 2 goals, 7 assists
    Man city - 15 apps, 5 goals, 6 assists
    Man united - 14 apps, 2 goals, 5 assists
    Liverpool - 14 games 3 assists
    Arsenal - 15 games 1 goal and 1 assist.

Maybe why i think he produced a lot as he certainly liked to create against us.
    Arsenal -

Lovearsenalcock and Dier Hard like this.
  19. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah both he and Dele loved playing against you, lol.

Whereas Kane loves an NLD.

Weird how some players just excel against certain clubs.

Adebayor ****ing loved scoring against us for Arsenal.

Hazard enjoyed games against us as well.

Trippier had a thing for Watford lol.

Edit: with regards to Eriksen though, contrary to what people told themselves, he was actually one of our best big game players both in regards to big six or getting important goals/ assists in certain matches. I think only Kane has a better big game record for us than him.

BobbyD likes this.
  20. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Yeah ****ing dele loves a game against us. Lol.

Wilfried zaha also loves scoring against us

Dier Hard likes this.