1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Right then, just off harvesting grapes... in the village!!

2. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

My wife had to go wine tasting at a new supplier for work, and brought home half a dozen REALLY good wines with maybe a small glass gone from each, so I'm going to make sure that they don't go off and drink them. It's a hard life :emoticon-0102-bigsm

thereisonlyoneno7 and fatletiss like this.
  3. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

I still find it odd that something as disgusting as wine can be made from something as delicious as grapes.

4. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

That's a bit sweeping. What's your tipple then.?

5. SaintLapras

I've tasted many a wine, red and white, and it all tastes like wood to me. My beverage of choice is Pimm's or vodka and lemonade. Or the occasional cocktail, but they're usually quite pricey. I had a nice Strawberry Daiquiri recently.

6. fatletiss

Tell us that again when you're 40 :)

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  7. fatletiss

As I said... when your taste buds move on from sweet....

8. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

It’s actually quite weird, I went from beer to wine at 40. Don’t now drink beer at all, only spirits are Bourbon or Brandy...has to be neat for both, and plenty of Red Wine [emoji16]

9. TheSecondStain

Yes, know what you mean there. Maturing palate. By that measurement I became 40 when I was around 22. :)

10. TheSecondStain

I had a few off seasons with drinking beer completely. These days I barely drink any except after rambling, and as pretty much all mainstream Ramblers are just taking a exceptionally long walk to a pub, and know a very good one when they see it, I tend to end up drinking exceptional beer only. However, the other week we had our occasional Ramblers bicycle ride where we'll cycle say... 30+ odd miles and take in 3-4 pubs. The first one was from Greene King - hopeless. Luckily there was a short queue and that gave time enough for the 'oi, this is a Greene King pub' ripple to go around the group and we backed out to get to the next one on the route. We finished up at The Flower Pots Inn in Cheriton. Truly superb beer there. Has its own brewery on-site, so the beer condition is 10/10. Well worth a visit. ;)

please log in to view this image

thereisonlyoneno7 and davecg69 like this.

11. SaintLapras

Perhaps by the time I'm 40 I'll have a new found appreciation for the taste of wood.

12. HarryTipper

HarryTipper Well-Known Member

Had to give beer up when I was 20 due to an intolerance. Moved on to white wine instead and can't say I miss the taste of beer at all.
    Still not really a fan of red for some reason though. There are a few I would drink but I find most too heavy going.

As for wine tasting like wood there are quite a few different types of white that are sweet with no dryness, maybe you've been unlucky PL in drinking just bad wine?

13. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

I second that. Excellent pub which we discovered last year. The beer doesn't have to travel well, does it!

14. TheSecondStain

As long as it can travel about 30ft.

15. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I'm the opposite - prefer red to white. I find the occasional 'dodgy' red (eg St Mary's) is more drinkable than a dodgy white

16. fatletiss

Lovely beer
    Lovely pub
    Lovely village
    Lovely young lady who used to live 50 yards from that pub when I was in my late teens :)

17. TheSecondStain

Same here. I will 99% go for red wine of the two shades. I have a saying or two which I generally stick by [but not always]: "if it can't taste good at room temperature then drink something else". Or "if it has to be chilled to taste acceptable then drink something else".

Which generally omits any popular lager and cheap white wine/champagne. Although there is the odd exception. The occasional cheap white wine will absolutely change character when chilled and actually become rather fine. And of course spirits can reveal the same thing. I know the odd person will consume cold lager when hot and thirsty. For me a hoppy beer, for example from Hogsback, is appreciated all the more.

18. TheSecondStain

I'll take that as an approval :)

Tbf, there are a few really good pubs around Hampshire, although The Flower Pots has to be right near the top of the tree.

fatletiss likes this.
  19. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Try an unoaked Chardonnay (or any unoaked wine really). You'll get a fresher, lighter wine with more fruit and less complexity. Chamonix from South Africa is a decent example.
    I had a bottle of Australian Cabernet Sauvignon given me recently, called Laughing Bird which was ok too, although I generally prefer a more traditional oaked wine myself.
    I'd also recommend only drinking wine with food generally as it changes the way it tastes massively, even if it is just a few bits of cheese to nibble on. It'll soften that woodiness that you dislike and the tannins will be more balanced on your palette.
    Wine is ace, and there are a million different flavours and styles...there's one out there for you too PL.

20. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

You don't fancy a warm can of Special brew then ?

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.