1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Indeed, as Greensaint says, stick them on ebay. People love old electronics.

Last year, my brother-in-law inherited an almost unused Akai CR-81D Hi-Fi 8-Track player [yes, they made hi-fi quality versions - not an 'in-car' thing], still in it's box. He asked what I thought of it. My knowledge of 8-track was always a bit sketchy, so I looked it up in an old addition of Hi-Fi Yearbook and there it was. In 1974, they retailed for £75 + 8% VAT. We tested it, buffed it up, so that it looked superb, and put it on ebay where it got £250. That's a few nice whiskies. Don't just chuck them aside. ;)

And BTW, when you put them on ebay, don't be vague. Detail the exact model and specs. That'll draw the customers.

2. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll take your advice. Just stuck an old tassimo machine plus coffees on gumtree and my phone hasn't stopped all night!

3. davecg69

Cheers, TSS. I'll take some pics and stick it on eBay and see what happens. End of season drinky float sounds good. Hopefully the Old Farmhouse will be open again by then.

Thanks, guys - I knew I could rely on this forum!

4. TheSecondStain

I have an Italian coffee machine which I never used to get around to using. That's stuck in the cupboard. Must ebay that.

TBH, I have a few dozen bits of old hi-fi and electronics that would be better off on ebay.

5. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

Sold my Mitsubishi LT-V5 a few weeks ago, got £270 on eBay, I'd bought it for £50. It didn't even have the acrylic cover.
    The Technics decks seem to get a good price by association, even if it's one of the cheaper models everyone thinks its a 1200.
    I am currently refurbishing cheap Garrard decks, amazing "clockwork" gubbins and sound surprisingly musical though many would not call them H-Fi.

I always felt 8 track was a heath-robinson solution to a non-exsistent problem. Had one briefly in 1973 with a Strawbs tape, gave them away. I really don't want to know how much it would be worth now. But then I gave away a running James 197cc a few years later :)

6. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Proper old school rock done by a bunch of still very relevant and unfeasibly cool fifty somethings. Take this Brit Awards.

7. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

At the sports injury clinic on lodge road. They once treated the infamous akabusi. Awooga.

Attached Files:

8. TheSecondStain

Is that Mitsubishi the famous vertical player.? They were always slightly intriguing. Agreed, the Technics decks live off their brand association with the 1200. My niece had a cheap one which her dad had advised her to buy off ebay [no knowledge, just that it was a Technics]. Previously, she had had a Dual CS503. I told her to go back to the Dual. Better deck in much better condition. I had exactly the same opinion of 8-track technology, but it was fun to see the Akai run faultlessly. Had to buy a tape for it to test it though [£5].
    The James would be worth a quite a few bob today.
    On Garrard decks, I still have a couple, as you may remember, but I was recently talking to a Rambler who told me of the old sound system he had in his garage where he 'potters' over his kit car. Sansui tuner-amp and speakers, no details, but a white Garrard record deck from the turn of the 1960's in really good condition, although it was a bit grubby from his handling in the garage.!?! I had a strong feeling it was a 4HF, so I told him to get it out of that garage pronto. They are worth a mint. ;)

greensaint likes this.
  9. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

I met him when I used to work in Hythe. Also met David Gower, Debbie Thrower and Lawrie Mac but not all in Hythe, Winchester for the last two.

10. TheSecondStain

This Storm Doris thing. I've seen plenty of reports that it's hitting GB, but down here in Southampton there's a gentle breeze, at worst.

Has it arrived yet.?

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

Gentle breeze? <yikes>

I've had to brush my hair about 3 times on the way to work <laugh>

TheSecondStain likes this.
  12. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Howling gales up here on the Mendips, but then if weather comes up the Bristol Channel this is the first high ground it hits. Supposed to stop in a couple of hours apparently.

13. TheSecondStain

I've got a feeling we've escaped it, as we escape most extremes of weather. When they say 'Soft Southerners' they really ought to say 'Soft Sotonians' :)

14. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Just really picked up here on the Isle of Wight....going to cause problems with the bins tonight. My garden is tornado alley with winds sweeping through from Carisbrooke, but have to say this winter has been less windy than usual.

15. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

The brunt of the strong winds are hitting further North but there have been gusts of over 40mph hitting around me in Dock Gate 4. We've seen some rather large waves hitting the coast in places too. I checked the wave buoy at Milford and there have been waves above the storm threshold most of the day.

16. SaintStu

SaintStu Well-Known Member

Needles recorded gust @ 82mph
    please log in to view this image

17. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Windy here in Sunny Bournemouth. Walked the dogs at lunchtime and the poor little mites struggled at one point against the wind :)

My bin did have a torrid time once it was emptied this morning as well.

Died down a lot now though - sun is out too. A beautiful day. Not as beautiful as Sunday will be with Davis lifting the cup though :)

18. TheSecondStain

I've been stuck at home with a sodding feverish cold that refuses to shift. But at least I've looked out the window on occasion and yes, the very top twigs of trees have been moving. Not a lot though. Admittedly, up at the Sports Centre, we are not only protected N,E and W, but also from the South. Lots of city in the way. And as No7 points out, the Sun is out, and it's quite a pleasant day.

19. West Kent Saint

West Kent Saint Well-Known Member

Very blowy here in Twells, but we are up on the weald.

20. davecg69

Couldn't get out of Winchester at lunchtime, as tree down across power lines on St Cross Road.