1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Spotlight. Great film. Difficult topic.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  2. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

That could be misunderstood. It's actually a perfect topic for exposure. Agreed, great film. I'd seen The Revenant days earlier and thought it was the best film of the year, and then Spotlight came along and blew it away. Easily worthy of its Oscar.

fatletiss likes this.
  3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Yes, you're probably right. Difficult topic that needs exposure.

I'll edit.

4. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

They never got the 1% each though.

5. TheSecondStain

Well, that figures. I'm happy to say that I have never, ever contributed to the fortunes of Kroc's McDonalds, so he missed out. :)

6. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I have to confess that on a blisteringly hot day in Bristol once I needed a bottle of water in a hurry and MacMurder's was the only likely nearby source. That's the only time, honest!

7. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

A judge has ordered R&B singer Chris Brown to stay away from his ex-girlfriend after she accused him of repeatedly threatening her.

According to TMZ:

Karrueche claims in a sworn statement to the judge, earlier this month Chris "told a few people that he was going to kill me." She then says Chris told the friends if he can't have her then no one else can, threatening he was going to "take me out" and "threatened to shoot me."

Karrueche also says several years ago Chris "punched me in my stomach twice," and "pushed me down the stairs." This would have been during the time Chris was on probation for the Rihanna beating.

The legal docs also claim Chris has threatened to harm her friends and even recently threw a drink at one of them.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/02/21/chris-...-threats-kill/

Guy needs a slap

8. TheSecondStain

I believe you Chilco. I know there are people of principal still around. :)

I'll admit that many years ago someone persuaded me to try a bite of their McDonalds hamburger, so I have had one bite. It was truly awful. There was also the time, as a shop manager for Comet, that I was holding a stock-take, and I got the store to pay for the staff meal, as they had all turned up. To my utter chagrin, when I asked them all what they wanted they said McDonalds. If they had said KFC I'd have probably felt better. I even suggested fish and proper chips, but no. :rolleyes:

9. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

He basically used two nice brothers naivety to steal their business and then mug them off. The guy is total scum.

TheSecondStain likes this.
  10. TheSecondStain

Going to watch it this evening.

Beef likes this.

11. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

I'd think twice about KFC if I was you. :(

http://metro.co.uk/2015/03/18/insid...tched-lives-in-oppressive-conditions-5108608/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37038166

12. TheSecondStain

13. TheSecondStain

Watched it. It was a dramatisation of what I read, plus a little. The Guardian review called it bland, and didn't say much more otherwise. I can see what they meant. Mark Kermode liked it and so did I, mainly for Michael Keaton's acting performance. He still retains that ability to never leave you sure of what he's going to do next. The story is a sad tale of two business guys who wanted to make an honest living and came up with a genius [if you like that sort of idea] way to make and serve very cheap, but consistently high quality hamburgers. Then Kroc walked into their lives and piece by piece took it away from them to the point where they couldn't even trade under their own family name. And as Beefy said, they got a million dollars each, after tax, but he welched on the 1% each in royalties in perpetuity. The film glossed over the prising away of the piano playing wife of the restaurant owner. They were increasingly friendly and then eventually she was his wife. Which brings me to Laura Dern playing Kroc's first partner. They made her almost unrecognisable as a quietly supportive, down-dressed, slightly down-trodden first wife, who barely came out of her shell. Kroc divorced her when the time was right for him.
    Which brings me back to bland. I can see this film offending hardly anyone. It should have offended. But they'll love it in the good ol' US of A. They'll probably even approve of Kroc. Certainly at the moment.

14. TheSecondStain

davecg69 likes this.
  15. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

He needs more than a slap. He needs to be completely excommunicated from the industry, rather than lauded. Makes me sick.

Beef and RSS like this.
  16. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

I went to see La La Land last night and though I enjoyed it I can't say that I was overwhelmed (probably not helped by being irritated at people rustling through popcorn boxes, noisily opening sweet packets and wrappers, loudly breathing through the nose or whispering loudly - all this by the 4 people on both sides of me :emoticon-0121-angry :emoticon-0146-punch) I thought that the two leads were very good and I can see the film winning Best Music and Best Song but Best Picture? Really? Admittedly the only other nominated film I've seen is Arrival which I loved. Then again, Forrest Gump won Best Picture and I thought it was one of the most sentimental, mawkish films that I've ever seen so what do I know? ;)

17. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I enjoyed La La Land and, like you, thought there were chances of Oscars, but not best picture. I would go for Lion (of the pictures I have see)....the scenes of the young boy trapped on an empty train for a couple of days flying through an alien landscape (for him) and arriving in the urban chaos of Calcutta were unforgettable. Manchester by the Sea had great cinematography and acting.....and reminded me of those moody foreign films popular at one time (don't watch if you are already depressed). I think LLL will be carried along by its own hype (which in my opinion gave it a disservice as you could end up disappointed by a perfectly good film). Apparently many people who get to vote for the Oscars often just tick boxes as they won't have seen them all.

18. Jos Say No

Jos Say No Well-Known Member

I didn't find it bland, maybe because I had no knowledge of the story whatsoever before seeing it. Because of this the first half felt very pro McDonalds and I started to wonder if it was their film. After that it quickly became apparent he was after power at whatever cost. Personally I found that balance quite engaging. I've always liked Keaton too and I agree he did an excellent job.

19. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

I know there are audiophiles on here, so, before I stick it on gumtree, I have a couple of technics decks plus a pre-amp, as well as a technics full stereo (amp, receiver, CD player and tape player) which I cleared out of my dad's old house a couple of years ago and which have been sitting around doing nothing. They do work, but I never use them and now I need to downsize, I doubt I ever will. If anyone's interested, you can gave them, but you'll have to pick them up or we can arrange a meeting somewhere near Southampton. I also have a pioneer amp.
    PM me if interested. Otherwise, I'll pop them on gumtree in a couple of weeks or so. Cheers.

20. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

I (and I suspect a thousand others) would love them Dave but I strongly suggest the eBay/Gumtree route would pay quite a few £££. Technics decks always go well. Stick them up at 99p and local pickup only (posting record decks is a stressfull thing, mostly more bits arrive than you send). Bit late to put the proceeds on a Saints win Sunday (or even pie related stuff) but the end of season drinky float?