1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The General Conversation Thread

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Forgot_My_Lines, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Anybody seen anything of FML lately? He seems to be very quiet!

3. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

4. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Had a nice curry in Wymondham at the weekend, didn't see FML though. <laugh><ok>

canary-dave likes this.
  5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I hear he's been reported AWOL!! <laugh>

ncgandy likes this.
  6. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Snooker loopy!! <yikes>

Former world champion Neil Robertson had to forfeit his World Open qualifier on Friday - because he drove to the wrong Barnsley.
    The Australian, who lives in Cambridge, accidentally set his sat-nav for the village of Barnsley in Gloucestershire.
    However, the qualifiers were being held at the Barnsley Metrodome in the Yorkshire town - 170 miles away.

JM Fan and Bure budgie like this.
  7. Nigel Stephens

Nigel Stephens Active Member

That is the problem when people simply rely on technology and forget to think. I have no sympathy for Robertson on this issue. I do seriously worry about the level of intellect in general as we apparently have an increasingly short attention span and then have to rely on such devices as Alexa!! Are we really that advanced and busy that we have to be told what we need to do next and cannot listen to a well-informed debate that lasts more than 10 seconds. It really is quite worrying for the future. 'Advances' such as Twitter have not helped us in a positive way, but have become mouthpieces for some ugly rhetoric in society. We have in my view gone backwards in the last 20 years.

ncgandy, JM Fan and Bure budgie like this.
  8. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

In some respects you're right, but in others I can't agree. If you look at the professionalism/management practices/Safety culture in many businesses things are barely recognisable from 20 years ago in a very positive way.
    At a younguns level, I think it has ever been thus. The education system has in my lifetime always sought to give everyone the same chance, but has failed to really serve those who perhaps would benefit a different path. For example a vocational path, I think it used to be far more common and the German educational model certainly is better at this.
    But the young have always had a short attention span for things they either don't understand, aren't engaged by or isn't important to them. I'm talking about the kid who might want to be and is suited for manual professions who can be frustrated by more intellectual subjects and school in general, many like this have been disruptive in school but gone on to have successful businesses/careers as e.g. Plumbers.
    Predictive text, text speak, tweeting and social media do little but engender deep thought or development on face value, but social media can be a big creative outlet, as many will entertain and provoke thought as will abuse and misuse it. But just as there have and always will be those who will believe a Sun headline in the paper or online, there will always be those who inspite of stupid headlines and fake news will look to dig deeper and for that the tech is a blessing and can help advancement far quicker than a crusty old text book in a growingly obselete library.
    I think other things like zero hours contracts and the greed and control from the mega rich are far more damaging to society and will hold it back.

Bah!

9. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

A great post General. <applause>

I remember a TV programme about 10 years ago, where they took a group of 15-year-olds back to 1050’s style schooling. The one thing I remember from it is that there was a lad there who was shall we say ‘not very bright’, but he took to bricklaying like 'a duck to water!!!' :emoticon-0102-bigsm

10. ncgandy

Maybe, but to hear the phrase 'crusty old text book in a growingly obsolete library' saddens me. I remember ages ago doing a competition in the Observer, which comprised some very difficult 'general knowledge' questions over a period of about six weeks. There was a prize involved (I never did win) and I spent hours and hours in the library reference section looking for answers.
    These days, I guess half an hour on google would suffice, which has it's merits, but does little for personal development. Much as when I was an articled clerk in an accountant's office, and as a junior wasn't allowed a calculator. Again, a lovely bit of equipment no doubt, but another skill sadly lost.
    I do, of course, accept some of the opinions, but still feel that not everything is entirely a step forward. Oh well.

canary-dave likes this.

11. General Melchett

I get what you're saying, I had to do plenty of library research during my degree, but for work I have occasional needs to search patents, like technologies, scientific reports etc and the universe of online info is fast and invaluable. Having to search harder to get info might build character, but it's like an anchor to progress. In R&D it's all about first past the post.
    Manipulating your search terms and getting to the right information is also a skill and a skill more relevant to the modern world.
    Like I said b4, it's not all good change, but technology waits for no man.

Bah!

12. ncgandy

I get what you're saying, and agree, but I'm thinking a lot about the youngsters. Having it easy is not, in my opinion, a great character builder. Going back, for instance, to what I said about being denied calculators as a junior. The technology was available, but it was considered in our best interests to use that technology later in life. I've never regretted it.

JM Fan likes this.
  13. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Too right. Calculators should be BANNED in primary schools and teach them mental arithmetic!!!!

canary-dave and ncgandy like this.
  14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

So, Donald Trump has decided that the wife of an American Diplomat should NOT be returned to UK to face charges relating to the accident in which a teenager was killed.
    Can you imagine his reaction if 'the boot was on the other foot??'

15. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

Are we really surprised.
    A truly dispicable person

16. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

100% agree!!!! :emoticon-0102-bigsm

17. Nigel Stephens

Nigel Stephens Active Member

This is an interesting discussion and is not necessarily a case of right or wrong, but understanding that all out technological advances are not for the overall good. Here is another question for the debate, television. I am old enough to remember when there were just 2 TV channels and they were on for roughly 2 hours around lunchtime and then from about 5pm till 11 (I think). The programmes were of a quality but outside of those times, the family had to entertain themselves in other ways, be it conversation or whatever. The advent of reality TV has meant that many hours have been used up watching ordinary mortals essentially make fools of themselves and the result is that we have many people who look down on such entertainment and others who aspire to be on them. The overall quality of programme is poor these days but for many it is the easy way out and avoids the need for conversation and this is a huge negative for society as a whole. If one is not watching TV then the other obvious escape is the computer, again avoiding the need to communicate with other people through talking. The result is that the ability for many young people to hold a proper conversation is being lost and ultimately that will have a hugely negative impact on the overall intellect for future generations. Finally, there is another point that really irks. Why is it that we have a multitude of channels now, virtually all of them showing really poor quality programmes on far better quality televisions, certainly none where tubes go bang or where one has to hold the aerial in a certain spot to see the picture. Something went wrong somewhere in my opinion.

18. General Melchett

I'm not arguing with the fact tech is making for a less sociable world. (The price of a pint as well as all goods also contributes) Although there is a certain evolution there too. These days they can talk and colaborate in online worlds. To you and I that maybe no substitute to seeing friends for a pint or a meal, but to them they are meeting up with others who share their passion.
    With regards TV, I can't argue at all, Mrs Melchett and I can go the whole later evenings barely speaking infront of the TV and with social media or games on our phone. It's all rather to accessable. When she watches some horror like Strictly or the voice, I need not watch it, I will of course often take the dog for a pint whilst its on. But even if I am there, I will ignore it to go online. Of course we will still talk about our days, take the dogs for a walk and get the chores done too, but with busy lives including for her books to mark some evenings a veg infront of the TV can be a good switch off.
    Where I disagree is your comment about broadcasting quality. Yes there is a serious amount of quite awful TV, but there is so much good stuff. What we now have is immense choice and shows developed on budgets and scales never before dreamt of. I have broadly speaking switched from discounted provider to discounted provider (Through intro offers) and currently have Netflix. There is such choice across such a diverse set of genres, I think its tough to imagine there isn't at least a reasonable amount for everyone.
    I do wonder whether a golden age of TV has passed, but I think every generation has their own golden age. For me it was yesteryear, but when? Was it when Vic and Bob ruled supreme on a Friday night, or later when I would go out off the back of TFI friday. Throughout my adult life there has always been the excellent Have I got news for you, but really I think its always nostalgia of anyone over 30 remembering a more carefree and formative time. In recent times there have been incredible shows, I'll grant not for everyone, but Game of thrones, breaking bad, Peaky blinders, Taboo, Attenborough not only going strong but in full HD glory and the inbetweeners, are all fantastic and superbly entertaining for me.
    Add to that so much info and content online. E.g. I started doing my own oil and filter changes after watching youtube guides and the content for me is a good thing.
    I think the blame lies with the parents who would allow their child to disappear down the rabbithole unchecked or worse to save them from putting in some effort.

Bah!

19. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I do hope you're not turning your dog into an alcoholic <laugh>

20. General Melchett

Turning him! The blighter pinched two cans of Guinness shotgunning the pair as a pup, that was his own beginning to a love of beer.
    The do have a pint pot with gravy bones for me there though.

Bah!

Resurgam, JM Fan and canary-dave like this.