1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Future of Southampton Saints (Ladies Football)

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by mowgli, Feb 6, 2014.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Getting back to the original subject, I'd like to see the Saints Women's team one day come back under the wing of Southampton FC.

2. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

The dream would be for both Portsmouth and Southampton to be in WSL1, vying for the league title with the south coast derby restored, and the title going down to the wire!

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

More chance of that than equality between the mens teams. Sadly for you...though never say never.

4. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

I doubt it. Man City will be buying the league each and every season, while when the WSL is expanded, it'll probably go to ridiculous teams like.... I dunno..... Weybridge FC because they happen to have some gagillionaire bankrolling them.

However, I'd definitely like to see Southampton Saints join Pompey in the WPL.

5. antipodean exile

antipodean exile Well-Known Member

Any competition between Southampton and Portsmouth is to be encouraged be it Mens/Ladies football cricket two flies crawling up the wall even - bring it on.

6. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

I'm not saying women play terrible football. I'm saying Portsmouth Ladies play terrible women's football. :p

My guess is there are probably 10 women's teams just in my state that could easily beat a second division English women's team.

7. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Women's football is behind that in the States by a mile. The strength of college sports in the US is also a factor. They get decent crowds, whereas here men's football dominates to the exclusion of all else. It was shameful that due to the interest in ladies football at one point (during the war I think), the FA banned women from playing the game well into my lifetime. Can you imagine now a sporting body telling women that they can't play a game even at amateur level?

8. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

I was at that game and many years later I worked with the goalkeeper, Sue Buckett. I remember giving her my programme.

I also played 5-a-side against the might of Saints ladies. We had an ex-pro in our team and were pretty good. We won but I recall a decent game with one of our chaps having to have stitches in his head after being shoulder charged into a wall!