1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The dreaded Accrington Stanley up next

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Sep 3, 2022.

1. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

I hope he has the ambition to take us to the premier league and build a solid name in the game and become a legend for us. There could well be some attractive offers come up before that but the top division is cutthroat and you can easily get hired and fired up there for just a few poor results. It can be a risky choice jumping into premier league management.

itfcptc and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  2. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Nice, we were typing something similar at the same time :emoticon-0102-bigsm

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

If he gets us out or League One it’s mission accomplished. We become a lot more attractive to top managers then too if the momentum stalls. So it works both ways.

4. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

He may well want to build a reputation, the offers may still be offered though.

5. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

At the moment I can't see any point where McKenna will feel that he is not supported or given what he needs to succeed. That's huge in football.

6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Most of that is actually down to him. He’s a mature character who will make realistic demands and actually works hard to get the best out of the players at his disposal.

7. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

I disagree, because if he was here under Evans I'm pretty sure it would not be the same. Lots of our previous managers ended up speaking out about the lack of support and budget, don't think that will be the case now. You can make all the demands you want, doesn't mean you'll get what you want.

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Evans would not have attracted him to the club. He would not have come if there was nothing to work with. (Maybe in the early days he would have, but post-McCarthy?)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    Bigalreigned likes this.
  9. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

If he does a good job here given the investment, fans and infrastructure we have/will get here, I can't imagine there are too many jobs he'd take. Unless it's a big big club and I don't think they'd go for him until he'd achieved something very special here.

If he doesn't do well here then he won't be offered other jobs, needs a bit more time to prove himself.

He has done brilliantly this season but as a club we are probably the most stable we've been in terms of quality and depth of squad and backing in about 20 years.

If we don't have a successful season this season unlike previous seasons there will be no excuses.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  10. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

One thing I can say, and I am sure we are all agreed on, is this season is the most enjoyable time to be an Ipswich supporter for 30 years (promotion to premiership), or even 60 years when we won the League title in 1962, and boy, do I remember that!

11. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

It makes a huge difference when the owners are prepared to back the manager and pretty much give him what he wants.
    Will be interesting to see what would happen if their plans are not materialised

fieldmarshall and itfcptc like this.
  12. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Think that’s a bit mean to the Burley side of the late 90s /early 00s and the Joe Royle side straight after. 20 years I would agree with

13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Magilton’s side was good too. But I don’t think any of them, Lyall’s side included, had them playing like we are now and the fans haven’t been as vocal as this since the old North Stand was demolished.

14. itfcptc

Definitely stand with the 20 years comment. Though I would say after following ipswich from the mid 90s every season bar perhaps Joe Royles last season was entertaining pretty much up until ME arrived.

The quality of football is extremely high currently but in terms of entertainment whilst it's so much better than the past 10 plus seasons I'm not convinced yet that it is above that of Burely, Royle and Magilton. Alot of the time under McKenna its like watching a game of chess, almost Italian style football which sometimes can actually be a bit dull. I'm just pleased that it feels like before the ME era finally whereby you know 9 times out of 10 even if we lose you're going to see a decent game of football.

15. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

What is this "lose" you speak of?? ;)

Southcoastoldgaffer and itfcptc like this.
  16. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I spose we need to see whether we actually get out of League One and whether McKenna can beat Liverpool at Anfield and Inter Milan in Europe before we can compare like for like.

Southcoastoldgaffer and itfcptc like this.
  17. itfcptc

One club I would be worried about him going to would be Brighton if their manager were to leave :emoticon-0107-sweat

18. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

If this was in 12 months time, then yes, i'd be concerned, but it's way too early in his Ipswich career to jump ship now

19. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

While I admire clubs like Brighton, Bournemouth and Southampton, all on scgaffers watch, and Seagulls are punching way above their height, geddit, I cant see KM being pulled to them. Similar town sizes and character, but not our history.

Lets get up to speed with Championship football, and push on from there. Imo, if we do reach the prem in 3- 5 yrs time, that would be terrific, and only a club like Man U or Lpool stature would be fitting big step change in his career.

20. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

And just as we all debate about McKenna he makes it clear during the fans forum that he is very happy with his decision to come to Ipswich. It was a good watch that reaffirmed that we are in good hands and will continue to move forward as a club.