1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The "Discuss Anything Else" Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I know it's a very sensitive subject but I do have concerns about how this World is developing. Genuine homosexuality is a hormonal thing and is no fault of the individual so inclined. I had a few homosexual friends who had partners, so I am not biased in any way. But, what really gets me is the relentless thrusting of this on TV soaps. There isn't one, as far as I know, that doesn't have homosexuals or lesbians, or both. That in itself is not what I am concerned about. It's the constant passionate kissing on the screen, especially when I am having dinner, between 2 homosexuals. It is becoming so regular that it is clearly making it to be the norm when mother nature rules it clearly is not the norm. At the rate things are going, in 100 years or so, heterosexuals will be locked up for indecent behaviour. I stress, it is the TV and media that are causing my concern, nothing else

SwanHills, Bustino74 and Tamerlo like this.
  2. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Wise words from Rowan Atkinson. He is certainly much more than a madcap comic actor, comedian, etc. Extraordinarily erudite and compelling in this verbal essay on Free Speech:

Rowan Atkinson on free speech - YouTube

3. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

What worries me is that you watch soaps.

rudebwoy and Bustino74 like this.
  4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

<laugh>. Don't worry Nass. I don't. But my wife does and it's difficult not to see some of it. When she leaves the room the TV goes off. And when she's not around, it never goes on, apart from racing and football

Saf likes this.
  5. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

My sister has never missed an episode of Coronation Street since we got a telly in the early sixties.
    I cannot for the life in me understand what she saw in it…..
    A woman going outside in “hair curlers” - which I never saw; a window cleaner who never gets dirty; three women gossiping in the pub.
    A total misrepresentation of northern life, if there ever was one!

6. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Emmerdale even worse (especially these days). I suppose Amos, Nr Wilkes et Al weren’t too bad

7. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No no no

It might be as bad, but nothing could be worse as far as soaps are concerned

8. OddDog

Staff Member

Interesting to see Mike Pence throw his hat into the ring for the Republican ticket. A voice of reason amongst the Bible thumpers or just more of the same with a bit more brain?

9. OddDog

Staff Member

I remember when football used to take a back seat over the summer as cricket, Wimbledon, Royal Ascot etc grabbed the nation’s sporting interest. Not any more if the BBC website is anything to go by. Yesterday the headlines were all about the transfer market opening (smart bit of business by Dortmund - quadrupling their money on Bellingham) and today we have live coverage of the premier league fixture list being revealed from 9AM onwards. All getting a bit much isn’t it?

10. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

It’s all pervasive Oddy. Even in kids local football the teams want the lads training throughout the summer. Madness. No break for kids or coaches. To an extent the same happens with other sports like rugby and cricket though not as bad. When I played the start of the football and cricket seasons were something you really looked forward to.

11. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

When I was a kid I used to love the test matches with the likes of Jim Laker and Tony Lock, Freddie Truman and Frank Tyson, Dennis Compton and Len Hutton. It dwindled after that until Ian Botham an Fred Titmus. Then the 5 days started to become boring and I lost interest in Cricket all together, although the 20/20s are much more entertaining. To be honest I haven't really noticed when the cricket season starts and ends. Has it started?

I think the horses are still jumping round some tracks. Has that always been the case in the middle of June?

12. SwanHills

Just an opinion, but I find this "Vitality Blast" thing in cricket completely barmy? Whatever next?

13. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

All I’ll say is I can’t wait for Have I Got News For You tomorrow.

redcgull and SwanHills like this.
  14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Whatever is it?

15. SwanHills

It's the current name for the old "T20 Blast". Wikipedia explains it here:

T20 Blast - Wikipedia

Ron likes this.
  16. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

I agree in part Swanny as i much prefer the longer formats. I’d hate to be a bowler getting deposited everywhere even off the edge of the bat! However it’s undeniable that a market exists for it among folk who wouldnt dream of attending longer formats. Also the standard of fielding has massively increased because of it. Catching in the deep is eye watering when i think back to what was more than acceptable when I played. There’s a staggering catch on the bbc website from a VB game last night.

SwanHills likes this.
  17. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Inflation remains at 8.7% (so no change). So the buckets of water are not working.

The BoE increased money supply at a time it didn't need increasing so fuelling long term inflation. Bailey and his team, and his predecessors for that matter, are all guilty of that. Nearly all that money was wasted and found its way to people and institutions that have prospered.
    The BoE didn't used to have this authority. It was handed to them in that fateful budget of 1997 by bloody Gordon Brown (in the same budget he decimated Britain's gold standard 'final salary' pension schemes which had secured the futures of many working people in this country). Up to then we'd had the famous 'Ken and Eddie' show (chancellor Ken Clarke and BoE's Eddie George) which had worked as they jointly had responsibility for setting interest rates but no more. I still insist this was the most stable and sensible growth period for the UK I'd seen in my lifetime. There were stronger growth periods but debt was racked up to secure it.
    For some reason Brown gave everything over to the BoE. Do we really want to be governed by unelected members of a National Bank? Brown thought so.
    It has turned out to be a disaster. Of course Cameron could have reversed it but he didn't, so he's as much to blame.
    The people who are really being hurt are the ordinary working men and women of this country and the poorest of them more so.

Tamerlo likes this.
  18. QuarterMoonIII

QuarterMoonIII Active Member

Elon Musk versus Mark Zuckerberg
    please log in to view this image

Can we have the cage fight in a submarine next to the Titanic?
    That is how much I am interested...​

19. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

I barely watch football anymore.

20. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

The coaches are after the parents money that’s all. The kids are just another commodity to be exploited. My dad coached weekend football all his life kids and adults. He did it for the love of the game.