1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The "Discuss Anything Else" Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jun 23, 2013.

1. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Whatever the rules are over Christmas, people will do as they wish as the rules have been completely unenforceable since day one; hence the lack of observance in various parts of the country. This is not totalitarian China.

I will not be visiting my elderly mother and her husband over Christmas because he has a heart condition and they have been isolating since back in March. I will not be visiting my elderly father either. Astonishingly the plague has totally avoided my family as everyone has observed social distancing for nine months and protected the most vulnerable – the elderly – by avoiding contact.

What other people do is their choice and they must accept the consequences of their actions.

There is no point lecturing the left-wing nutter about personal responsibility as the Left favour collectivisation with everyone sharing responsibility and everything being organised by the Nanny State because they are incapable of making reasoned decisions as individuals.

2. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Onya mate, nice to see.

3. Cyclonic

I've just read that in the USA, a person dies every second from a Covid related condition. <yikes>

4. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Surely not? That's 80k+ a day but there's only been just over 200k total deaths

5. Cyclonic

Yep, you're right Smoke, it's per minute according to CNN & CBS etc. Thanks for the heads up. <doh>

6. Cyclonic

Yuk.

Dr. Jonathan Reiner, a professor at George Washington University School of Medicine, speaking on or about the 19th of this month.

"The horrible death count that we saw yesterday in the United States reflects the number of people who were being infected three weeks ago -- two to three weeks ago, because that's the lag. On average, two to three weeks ago, we were seeing 70,000 to 80,000 (new) cases per day. Yesterday, there were about 155,000 (new) cases. So if you're alarmed at the 1,700 deaths today, two to three weeks from now, we're going to see 3,000 deaths a day."

7. smokethedeadbadger

Still an horrendous stat mate

8. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

yes I agree that for this one it was a tricky decision for the government to make, which is why I haven’t really criticised them for it.
    Still makes Boris a bit of a softie though. I hear Merkel in Germany has no plans to ease restrictions for Germans at Christmas.

9. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

im not in a COVID cave though - the lockdown has not really been that tough.
    And as from next week I will be able to go to football matches again down here.
    Enjoy the lockdown up north for the next few months.

10. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Not true - measures will be relaxed over Christmas here somewhat

11. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

ok fair enough - merkel been overruled ?

12. smokethedeadbadger

Probably not. Probably just a bit of common sense been applied

13. Janabelle13

Janabelle13 Well-Known Member

Well I've just tried to make sense of the "rules" for my neck of the woods.

Think I will spend Christmas at home rather than going to dine with family. The pheasant is ordered, I've plenty of alcohol and a freezer of nosh. If I went to my younger brother I'd have to be 2 meters away from them, a window would have to be open, no sharing of cutlery or crockery and to cap it all I'd not be able to drink as I have to drive home. Going to big brother is not allowed as they would then have too many household in their "bubble" according to "she who must be obeyed" - aka the Krankie lookie likey creature.

Ah well there will be no fighting over what to watch on tv and I won't have to have sprouts!

LG likes this.
  14. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

They are trying to control private partys or get-togethers - until the end of Dec max 5 people from 2 households relaxed to 10 people over Xmas/ new year. The infection rate is not dropping at all here despite 4 weeks of partial lockdown. Can’t help feeling France is relaxing too soon.

15. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

she is keeping your infection rates lower than England though. Enjoy your Christmas!

16. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

there is no common sense about relaxing rules for Christmas

17. smokethedeadbadger

No surprise we disagree on this, we have done on pretty much every thing throughout this whole ridiculous affair.

18. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

I am not sure that you should put much store in those sensationalist numbers that the media love using. One person every minute* would be 1,440 a day or about 0.0004 per cent of all Americans. They offer no balance by stating how many died of any cause in a day or indeed how many were born in a day. So I did a quick search and in 2019 the number of deaths per day in the USA was around 7,700 and the number of births was the lowest in 35 years at 10,200 a day.

On the BBC One O’clock News the other day, they showed a graphic that claimed that there had been 618 Covid-19 deaths reported that day; however, the newsreader stated that this was the number of people who had died within 28 days of a positive coronavirus test. So there was no factual basis for the sensationalist graphic at all.

Firstly, a positive coronavirus test takes no account of false positive tests so it is a misleading statistic, the like of which have been peddled all year. Secondly, a person giving a positive test 28 days ago could have recovered a fortnight ago, so their death could be totally unattributable to the plague. Thirdly, people infected with the plague do not necessarily die because of it, another factor in the distorted figures being released at regular intervals by the Office for National Statistics, who have been double-counting deaths to make the plague look more serious. Even with the dubious methodology employed, the plague still has a mortality rate of less than one per cent so that it does not feature in the top ten reasons why people have died this year in the UK.

(* subsequent correction noted)

19. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

Pretty much why I stopped taking notice of the Covid news, it is theatre with statistics that are embarrassingly woeful.
    I did see a Danish study has proven mask are a waste of time which anyone with a brain knew to be the case.
    They rarely get washed by users, reused for weeks on end, are not of the required standard, they get handled too often whilst worn often incorrectly. Who would of thought it?

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  20. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

i see you have been reading your fairytales again.
    the Denmark study has already been dismissed by the BMJ.
    How is that other fairytale that you were interested in (Brexit) going?