1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The "Discuss Anything Else" Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jun 23, 2013.

1. stick

stick Bumper King

There you go again! More reliable and accurate! Are you a sheep?

Toby likes this.
  2. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

It's strange how you can not take a step back and look at things a bit objectively.

As has frequently been the case on the now previous defunct Coronavirus thread..you seen unable to communicate properly.

If you want to believe those 3 countries highlighted (and I could have highlighted more) have better/more accurate methods of counting deaths than the U.K then so be it. It seems you are unable or as is more likely incapable of acknowledging they might not.

:emoticon-0100-smile

3. stick

stick Bumper King

Just as you are incapable of thinking that your government could either be fallible or capable of lying to you.

4. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

there are clearly flaws in the figures being produced by each country.
    however it is fairly clear that the UK has done particularly badly and the responsibility for that lies with the UK government.
    my main issue with the UK figures is that along with Spain and the Netherlands these are the only countries in the world who are not capable of producing the number of current active cases. This is a failure of an effective test and trace strategy.

at least the UK is still reporting deaths though - in Spain apparently hardly anyone has died of the virus since June, which I find quite surprising considering the daily number of new cases are now about 2,000.

I have defended the UK government on the quarantine rules they have brought in purely because they have acted decisively for once.
    I have moaned on about them dithering for the past 4 months on here, so I couldn't really knock them on this, even though maybe they should have applied some regional common sense. You have to remember though that Boris and his mob have limited ability so to get them to think about things in a more complex manner will be beyond them.

5. stick

stick Bumper King

They have acted positively because it seems that ten people have returned to Britain with Covid in the last few weeks. Interesting dont you think how Spain had it all under control until the partying Brits arrived back in! Prior to the action taken by Britain the Spanish government had already ramped up regulations regarding wearing of masks and had also closed down parts of the country as well as all the nightlife in Catalonia. Excellent work from a "third world country" dont you think!

In the period 14th March 2020 until 12th June 2020 the number of deaths ABOVE the national five year average in the UK stood at 59,324. In the same period the number of deaths with Covid on the death certificate was 48,218. The difference between those two figures is 11,106. Never fear though, you can implicitly trust the counting in the UK over every other nation on the planet and Boris would never lie to you (the double decker bus advert was none of his doing).

Source of figures is the website of the Office Of National Statistics

6. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

yes, sorry that our infected idiots have been let in to Spain.
    we don't do face masks you see - you know that by some of the comments on here.

nothing is enforced here and I can't see anyone bothering with quarantining either - who will check up on them ? No one

stick likes this.
  7. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

I agree with pretty much everything you put there Steveo. You acknowledge there are flaws in counting cases in other countries something Stick was unable to do due to his obsession of blaming Boris. I mean jeez he made no comment about Yemen guess he thinks they have a comparable system to the U.K.:emoticon-0102-bigsm

Some people need to take a step back and look at things objectively. For the sake of being CLEAR yes I accept the government could have done better.

Most people are wearing face masks now in shops that I see and I have started to wear one as a result of it becoming law. If you do not wear one where you should, you would have to say that is selfish and not thinking of others.

8. stick

stick Bumper King

Where did I say that? You see what you want to see in my posts. You are either ignorant or severely retarded.

Toby likes this.
  9. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Obviously a slow news day...

Tony Blair says that Boris Johnson is not the man to save the Union.
    Fifty million English people could not care less if the Scottish go off on their own.

A toff that Prince Harry used to date has married another toff.
    Fifty million English people could not care less as they have never heard of her.

Antisemitism court settlements could cost the Labour Party millions of pounds.
    Less than five hundred thousand people could care less about their money being squandered.

10. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Is that the same Office for National Statistics that is a non-ministerial organisation, reporting to Parliament, that just counts the death certificates and reports the numbers? Not controlled by Boris or any political party.

According to them, in Week 29 there were 270 fewer deaths than the five year average, the fifth consecutive week that the count has been below the five year average. But I am quoting directly off their website so I cannot consider those to be facts, just Establishment lies.

Who cares how they count the numbers in Spain, Italy or India? Most of us do not live there.

11. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Won't dwell on this tragic subject, but I have been really affected by this wanton murder of a UK policeman by three obviously evil teenagers. The "manslaughter" verdict was appalling. Being a British subject but domiciled in mainland Europe, can I also sign the petition (now 200,000 signatures already) to have this 'decision' overturned? Am pessimistic that anything will come of it, but feel I must try to sign. How can I do this? I know I will get sensible answers on here (I'll take negative ones on the chin too), rather than screw around with Yahoo, Google, etc.

Just have a look at two of those young bastards laughing in the court slammer (the third one is hiding behind the cell bars on the side?), and then apparently whooping it up after the 'verdict'. Sickening.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/petition-overturn-pc-andrew-harper-verdicts-083002644.html

smokethedeadbadger and stick like this.
  12. stick

stick Bumper King

I am not sure what point you are trying to make.
    I would trust the figures from the ONS as I think that if they were being fudged it would soon be having the whistle blown.
    The last few weeks figures are down on the average but we have probably run out of old people that are waiting to die.

The big question is, the one that Pops chooses to ignore, is what was the cause of death of the extra 11,106 that didnt have Covid on the death cert.

13. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Whilst it is certainly the case that the Conservative government is in office rather than in power, the Labour opposition continue to demonstrate their incompetence whilst having neither office nor power.

The Shadow Transport Secretary Jim McMahon thinks that there should be quarantine exemptions for areas of Spain that have low infection rates. Of course it is very easy to come up with soundbites when you do not have to make them work.

If the UK gave an exemption to the Canary Islands and the Balearic Islands, one could reasonably see how the Canaries are isolated enough that nobody from a high risk area would fly there to then take a return flight to the UK to avoid quarantine. But how would the authorities in the UK check up on people just taking the short hop to the Med to fly home from the Balearics? If you gave regional exemptions to parts of mainland Spain, what stops somebody just driving to an airport in a region that has an exemption?

14. stick

stick Bumper King

QM, for weeks now Brits have been flying in to Faro, driving across the border in to Spain for their holiday and then flying back from Seville to avoid quarantine if they returned from Faro.

15. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

As I have suggested in a previous post on this thread, I suspect that a large number of people are dying from ailments that are currently being ignored by the beloved NHS because that organisation has effectively been turned into a coronavirus treatment facility to the exclusion of everything else. We can also expect more deaths in the next couple of years resulting from undiagnosed conditions, especially cancers, because it seems to be almost impossible to see a GP thanks to coronavirus restrictions.

16. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

I am being a pedant but I am sure you meant holiday in Portugal then cross the border to fly home from Spain.

I have a colleague who is doing that and is now going to get the quarantine he thought he would dodge.

17. stick

stick Bumper King

Both QM, Faro is closer to the holiday resorts in Andalusia than Seville is so the norm is to drive across the border from Faro. Returning from Faro who have meant a quarantine but returning from Spain meant they were under the radar. Not that anyone is actually checking.

18. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

I have a boy in Nairobi 15yrs. Been to the academy at PSG for 2 week trial with the latest intake they are looking at. Scored the highest mark of 196.2/200 in the trials. He now is being blocked by FIFA as for PSG to take him on one of his parents must move to Paris with him under anti trafficking rules. Like all parents can just up sticks and do that.
    Its a crazy world at times.

19. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

My goodness, Mallafets, as you say, 'crazy world', and a damn harsh one too. You mentioned corruption in organisations recently. FIFA is a prime example of a corrupt institution, from top to bottom.

20. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

As I predicted on Sunday.

Sad news as I was looking forward to seeing some spectators back at Goodwood tomorrow.
    Now can everyone please wear a mask!!