1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The "Discuss Anything Else" Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jun 23, 2013.

1. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Christina Koch: Nasa astronaut sets new female space record

Wait until she gets home and sees the mountain of washing up and the pile of ironing... <laugh>

Given that only ten per cent of space travellers have been female, the feminists will be demanding more are sent.
    Could they send Saint Greta (as she must have enough carbon credits stored up by now for a rocket ride)?

I hope nobody mentioned this to the LGBTQ+ or BAME crowd. They will be looking for a black tranny astronaut to check both boxes.

2. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

It looks like it could be the turn of Airbus for some bad publicity. Two separate A350 aircraft have suffered in-flight engine shutdowns after liquid spillage in the cockpit. Basically, the pilot knocks his drink over, spilling liquid on the centre pedestal (the area between the 2 pilots seats) leading to an electrical fault inside the pedestal. This caused one of the engines to shut down and it could not be re-started. Both aircraft landed safely on single engine operation. The scary thing is, the control switches for both engines are located close to each other on the central pedestal so this could have shut both engines down, resulting in a massive glider with 300-odd passengers on board <yikes>.

Great coverage as usual from the Aviation Herald website:

http://avherald.com/h?article=4d24da4d&opt=0

SwanHills likes this.
  3. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

All those years in the closet with Gordon The Gopher then someone came out <laugh>
    please log in to view this image

4. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

So all the time that Gino was trying to peek at Hollie's tits, Schofield is round the back of them eyeing up Gino's arse. Magic <ok>

5. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

I guess Schofield was a bit worried that he is old white privileged male and they already got rid of Alastair Stewart under any old excuse going.

So come out and now you are immediately checking the right boxes to keep you on the This Morning sofa.

At least he is not at the BBC as they seen not only obsessed with checking the LGBTQ+ and BAME boxes but the ‘young’ box too. On a Sunday morning, I used to listen to Sportsweek on Radio 5 Live but Auntie decided to get rid of old white male Gary Richardson. They did not replace him and keep the show but instead axed the show and moved Pienaar’s Politics forward an hour to fill the slot (Pienaar safe as he is not quite white). What got added to the schedule? Laura Whitmore, young white and Irish, doing a show clearly targeting a younger audience that probably are not listening to Radio 5 Live on a Sunday morning. Does she bat for the other team?

How long until Ant and Dec are deemed too old? Presumably the year that they do not win the Ant & Dec Award at the National Television Awards...

6. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Storm Ciara/Sabine: How's about these apples, 102-minutes ahead of schedule!! How on earth did the pilot land the damn thing at Heathrow?

"The impressive winds enabled a British Airways plane to make the fastest New York-to-London flight by a conventional airliner, completing the 3,500-mile (5,630-kilometer) journey in just under five hours, 102 minutes ahead of schedule. A total of three commercial flights were able to easily beat the previously held subsonic record of 5 hours and 13 minutes."
    Source: Deutsche Welle

7. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

What they did not point out was that the pilot had to circle over London for an hour and forty minutes because there was no landing slot available. <laugh>
    Or did half the punters have to hang around the airport for two hours waiting for their ride home to arrive?

Ron likes this.
  8. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Ok, so the zombie is ‘kinda hot’ but does the lad really want to snog a lass who has just put chewing gum in her mouth?
    It whitened her teeth but it has not done much for her skin.
    OrbitZombie1.jpg

9. SwanHills

"Shades of Brown" :emoticon-0112-wonde

Donald Trump returns to the White House from Charlotte, North Carolina. Photo by William Moon at the South Lawn of the White House on February 7, 2020

Annotation 2020-02-11 211957.pngTrumpSunTan.png

Now, Friday was a very windy day in Washington as a front blew through and the temperature dropped from the 60s in the morning to the 30s in the afternoon. That wind blew the President's hair backward on his head as the photo was taken -- and revealed what appeared to be a dark layer of make-up (or self tanner) around Trump's face and abruptly ending at his jawline. Dark and then, suddenly, stark white.
    -Source: CNN

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  10. SwanHills

Yeah, but it arrived over Heathrow from New York in one heck of a fast time. No wonder it had to wait to land, with other aircraft, in those conditions? Storm Ciara/Sabine arrived here in the south yesterday, but I doubt if it was half as bad here as up north and in the UK. Pretty gusty though, and raining buckets at times.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020

11. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

That was intended as a joke (hence the smiley). Obviously those having to wait two hours for their ride home could have waited in Wetherspoons at Heathrow.

I am sure that they did let the plane land and Saint Greta will have approved of all the fuel they saved rather than creating more greenhouse gases.

Storm Ciara just generated the usual levels of rain to make sure that the same places keep flooding because the ground is already saturated. I cannot believe that anyone still lives in Appleby-in-Westmorland, flooded 67 times since 1815; last time five years ago. By the time they finish the flood defences on the River Calder, the next drought will be here. Good weather for ducks in Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd.

12. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

If you get a chance watch Kevin McClouds rough guide to the future on channel 4 it’s mental.

13. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

My old laptop crapped itself last night, so went and bought another this afternoon .... what a ****in' nightmare. Being a Luddite, I struggled from the get go. About half way through, it wanted me to choose a language keyboard, so being usually pissed off with American spell check, I mistook what they what they were offering and opted for the English version. Huge mistake. I ended up with the English keyboard instead of the American. It took me several hours of YouTube clips before I managed to get it all sorted.

The world is getting much too fast for me.

SwanHills and redcgull like this.
  14. SwanHills

redcgull likes this.
  15. SwanHills

Yes, Cyc, I remember only too well several years ago getting one of the last Toshiba notebooks made (they don't seem to make them anymore after losing its 'honourable ass' buying-out Westinghouse ages ago.) Service now provided by an outfit called Dynabook. Had a hell of a time getting the damn thing going. As it was a birthday gift from my daughter and son-in-law, I did not have the heart to ask them to send it back to the suppler and exchanged for another PC. In the end, after much hair-tearing, I got the notebook going to my liking. There was no DVD disc player installed, so had to invest in a downloaded DVD player from Microsoft (not expensive), plus had to buy a piece of hardware that works with it, namely a Zen Drive External DVD Writer. Don't use it that much, but it's a bit aggravating setting it up when I do need it, but better than nothing. Happy Days!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Bustino74 and Cyclonic like this.
  16. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

****in' arsehole.

.......................................................................................................................................

<rose><rose><rose><rose>

17. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

18. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

A survey of 4,000 people for insurer Aviva shows that the most eco-friendly generation is not the Millennials but the Baby Boomers. The old folks do the most recycling, do the most to avoid single use plastics and eat more seasonal fruit and vegetables rather than imported produce like avocados.

While the Millennials are buying cheap imported clothes with a dubious carbon footprint and taking rides with Uber, their parents are keeping quality clothes longer, taking buses and walking as well as turning the central heating thermostat down a couple of degrees.

So it would seem that Saint Greta of Thunberg should be chastising the younger generations (like her own) as they are letting the planet down. The only modern trend that Generation Z are leading on is veganism as the Boomers still like a steak. <laugh>

OddDog likes this.
  19. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

It seems that Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg wants someone to regulate online content but he does not want it to be down to the platforms themselves to crackdown on the content they carry.

If a newspaper prints something libelous or defamatory, it is the newspaper that is held to account for failing to control its content.
    If a broadcaster runs something libelous or defamatory, it is the broadcaster that is held to account for failing to control its output.
    So why should online social media platforms not be subjected to the same principles? Surely it is not because taking responsibility for the content they carry costs money and cuts profit margin?

20. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Just watching a report on CBS News about how American history - specifically slavery - is taught in US schools.

In one of the books that has been printed 5,000 times, Africans are listed as immigrants alongside Scots, Irish, Germans, etc. In the version of history that I remember the Africans were not rushing to the boats desperate for a new life in the New World.

According to CBS, there is no teaching of the history of slavery at all in seven States. I think most of us could work out which of the States.

I wonder if anyone outside Saint Louis knows the story of Dred and Harriet Scott. Google it. There is a bronze statue of the pair outside the Old Courthouse gazing up towards the Gateway Arch. Slavery is a fundamental part of American history - how can they not teach this?