1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Dalman Conundrum

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Following on from the breaking stories about Dalman and Charlton, perhaps we can have a thread about it? He is certainly a smooth talker and his influence on Tan shouldn't be underestimated, but............

He is not infallable and his his time with us has not exactly been without its' misjudgements. It was Steve Borely that got us Malky Mackay against Tan's wishes well before Dalman arrived on the scene. For all his faults (and he obviously had them) Malky got us up to the Prem in his second season with us without a lot of money thrown at it either.

It was only when the Tan/Mackay fallout cast a cloud over the club that Dalman got involved. His managerial appointments post Mackay were abysmal, and from what I've read, they were all down to him. Solksjaer, Slade and Trollope followed in a succession of what can only be described respectively as "bad error/mind numbing/clueless.

The appointment of Warnock appears to have been a masterstroke and all credit to Dalman if so, but I sometimes wonder that was more a lucky break than judgement. They obviously get on well together from what we've been fed by Warnock and retaining him this season seems a no brainer. However, the majority of the transfer dealings he's been involved in with Warnock have not been impressive.

It'll be very interesting to see what happens if Dalman does get hold of Charlton and quits City. Just who will Tan bring in as Ken Choo is not football related for all his good work for which he deserves much credit.

Just hope that any parting of the ways with Dalman doesn't affect our club - yes, our club. His successor will be as important as our new manager. Don't know what sort of role Borley plays now - he seems to have been marginalised since Dalman arrived, but I'd like to see him more involved in the appointment of a successor for Warnock. Though in no way overtly wealthy like Dalman, he's been CCFC through and through and personally kept the club afloat in the bad times.

2. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

An interesting set of point Sparkey.
    You sometimes forget the timeline and who is still at the club.
    That balance between grounded history (Borley, who I admit I'd forgotten was still there), business sense (Choo) and business / football experience (Dalman) - oh, and money, Tan.
    Not sure Dalman has the depth of footballing experience of the likes of Sam and Ridsdale, which we still miss.
    Salman leaving would be a hole to plug no doubt, but how big a gap we'll only know if he leaves.

Another of those situations that needs the right appointment as quickly as possible.
    It would be a blow to break up a relatively successful combination.
    If it's going to happen, better this summer than next with Warnock departing then.

3. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Dalman is charismatic adds a little glamour to the club...I say this as a full blooded fearless man without fear of contraception! If he left, you could argue that the club is less handsome than it was! Offset that with the bearded Icelander leaving....ugly fugger he was! :emoticon-0103-cool:

67E43353-E19A-4F61-8DC3-5D01CDC7321D.jpeg

4. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

He’s done more good than harm in balance overall for City at board level but his credibility for me was badly knocked by him being instrumental on bringing in OGS. That was so obviously a bad decision even with hindsight.

His presence on the so called transfer committee was something that I never could take seriously. Us on this board could have done better than him.

I infer he sees more potential at Charlton. If he goes I won’t lose any sleep.

5. ninian opinion

Since read he’s committed to City with his proposal to Charlton stalled.

6. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Can't make my mind up whether that's good news or not.

Now he's obviously been linked with a move away from City, the writing is on the wall. He wants his own club that's clear, and it maybe all for the best if he gets it as soon as possible and we move on ourselves. You can't blame the guy, but then you can't attach any blame to ourselves either - we must move forward.

Not saying for a minute that he won't do the biz for City this season, but over the last few seasons, I haven't been impressed by the biz he has actually done - very patchy IMO.

7. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Just a thought. I wonder if VT knew about the Dalman/Duchatelet negotiations over Charlton - has it been leaked before Dalman was ready?

If Tan did know, has he had any thoughts about replacing him or is he just going to wait and chair it himself for the time being?

If he didn't know what was going on, then I bet he's not a happy bunny.

8. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

I think it would be very unlike Dalman if he did this without VT's knowledge or even blessing.

Firstly Dalman seems a straight up guy who likes to do things the right way and professionally and secondly VT will understand someone's desire to move on to achieve their ambitions.

If all of that is correct then it is likely VT will have a successor up his sleeve. I can't see him taking the role due to the limited time spent in the UK despite the availability of face to face meetings via the internet.

I'm not as sceptical as you Sparks and while he has made some errors (managerial appointments maybe although we don't know how much VT influenced these) he has been very good for the club. He and Choo have brought professionalism and consistency to the club and may well have steered VT away from the type of controversial (at best) opinions and decisions previously made.

Finally, as Chairman, why wouldn't Dalman sit on the transfer committee? What we don't know is how much involvement he had in the introduction, review and final decision on prospective signings.

If he goes I will be sorry to see him leave and wish him well at Charlton apart from when they play us.

ccfcremotesupport and Oldsparkey like this.
  9. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Bluey - being sceptical enabled me to retire at 55. :emoticon-0105-wink:

10. BluefromBridgend

I can trump that Sparks. Retired at 50.

From first job anyway, after 33 years.

Hate that word - trump. On a par with Boris and Corbyn.

11. ninian opinion

Wish I could retire :emoticon-0101-sadsm

12. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Were you a ref?.....<laugh>

13. BluefromBridgend

No. A banker. That begins with a "b". Just to avoid any confusion.

14. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Sperm or food?

15. BluefromBridgend

Lol!!! Money money money.

16. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

..........and you're an Abba fan as well?

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  17. BluefromBridgend

Now that is taking the pi$$.