1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Daily Arsenal

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Hoddle is a god, Jul 17, 2015.

1. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Wenger was a massive gamble when he was appointed, but clearly David Dein knew something that nobody else did and he turned out to be the best manager we've ever had. That said, Arsenal back then was a different club altogether. We'd just come off the back of Bruce Rioch and extremely indifferent form and league finish. There was nowhere as much to lose back then by appointing a relative unknown, compared to the situation now, Where we have Top 4 and CL every season.

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think football's changed quite a lot, too. You could recover quickly from a bad season back then.
    Bringing in somebody with a long-term view of the game was a good idea.
    Boards know that the fans have far less patience now, so they're far quicker to react.

gooner4ever and PINKIE like this.
  3. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Also in terms of revenue, sponsorship, TV rights etc, there is so much to lose by not being in the Top 4 and CL. Back then as you say, it was a bit easier to recover from a bad season and the consequences were nowhere near as severe.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  4. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Well yeah, it as you have pointed out.....Wengers CV was EXTREEEEMELY sketchy upon his appointment to Arsenal.
    Everyone was like "the **** is this guy?"

But I should also point out, that in the last 5 years, since this whole "Wenger out" thing has kicked off, a huge amount of worldclass managers have been available and have switched jobs
    To name but a few

Jose Mourinho
    Pep Guardiola
    Antonio Conte
    Jurgen Klopp
    Carlo Ancelotti
    Luis Van Gaal

Yes you can sneer and say LvG failed at United or Jose failed at Chelsea etc etc, but nonetheless, all of those managers have, or had, sterling records and have been available at least once, at some point, in the last 5 years.

5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

We've definitely missed the boat on a few manager changes. Other than Van Gaal, who is **** and Mourinho who would never come to Arsenal, I would have liked to have seen any of the others take the job. But they didn't and that is now water under the bridge. But this is the type of manager who we need to be looking at, somebody who has won titles, and has CL experience. I am definitely not in the camp of giving somebody like Eddie Howe a 'chance' because he's young, English and ambitious. I think it could be an absolute disaster.

6. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I suspect that the Arsenal board want to replace Wenger with Wenger Jr, though.
    They want someone long-term, so he needs to be fairly young.
    The style of football needs to be attractive and he'll need to be able to spend sensibly, too.
    I'm not saying they'll be frugal, but splashing the cash like City's not an option they'd embrace.

Who does that leave from that list? Klopp, maybe?
    I think they'll make another fairly unpredictable appointment, if he does go.

7. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Yeah they didnt because they werent offered it, and they weren't offered it because your board keep throwing new deals at Wenger instead.
    Forget the Internet forums, I am sure there have been all sorts of ridiculous suggestions as to your next manager all over the forums from Owen Coyle to Donald Trump.
    But I dont think the Arsenal board are going to be scouring the Not606 threads for appointment ideas.

8. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

A combo of Frank de Boer and Dennis Bergkamp has been mooted before. De Boer has CL experience and title winning experience with Ajax, but it's a big step up from the dutch league to the PL. He was also at Inter for a short while, but got the sack before he could really get his teeth into the job. The other problem with Bergkamp is he doesn't fly. That frustrated the hell out of us when he was a player, so I'm not sure it could work with him being a No2. Also it would be a big risk taking them both on at this level.

9. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

This again!
    You need to understand,ANY appointment made will be a big risk.
    There are no guarantees of success, even if you had appointed Guardiola or Mounrinho.
    They both went to new clubs in the summer and neither have been instant, world dominating success stories. And in both cases, it remains to be seen whether the respective appointments will pay off.

All that needs to be decided is whether they want to play it safe and stay in mediocrity and keep Arsene.
    Or risk it all and go for the big prizes and bring in someone new.

The only risk free decision is keeping Wenger, everything else carries a huge element of risk.....regardless of who is appointed.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  10. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

De Boer's time at Inter probably put big clubs off him for a while, I'd have thought.
    Came in after we got Mancini sacked for losing a friendly! <laugh>
    Didn't last a season. Might have to prove himself a little more, now.

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Point being that there are degrees of risk. 'risk it all and go for the big prizes and go for someone new' is simply a soundbite.
    Taking on somebody like Eddie Howe is a far bigger risk than taking on somebody like Max Allegri or Diego Simeone. Yes, the later aren't guaranteed success, but they are more experienced and more likely than somebody like Howe, who could simply find himself way out of his depth.

12. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Again you are listening to forum talk.
    Do you know if Howe has been under serious consideration as Arsenal manager?
    The red tops mentioned it a while back I recall.
    But you have to trust your board to be able to find the right guy.
    That guy isn't Wenger, not if you want to win things. Not any more.
    Sticking with him would be thoroughly depressing all around, basically an admission of the boards lack of testiculae

13. That's exactly how Pixie operates, Bodi. He's always hedging his bets; always quick to jump on others who have the balls to make bold predictions or statements, but never quite having the balls to do the same, himself. He's like that little bloke at school who stands behind the bully, egging him on to hit the small lad and then ****ting his pants when the little lads turns out to be a terrier and mullers the bully.

Everyone on this site, and especially on the Arsenal board, knows full well that Pixie has been most vocal of Wenger-apologists. It is nothing short of tragic that he now attempts to claim that "he's always wanted Wenger out."

A87 once got a massive amount of kudos on the Arsenal board by accusing Pixie of "re-arranging the deck-chairs on the Titanic!" <laugh>

I'm sure that Pixie was determined to get A87 kicked off the Gunners' board for so glibly ripping the pissing and turning Pixie into a laughingstock for his continual and blind loyalty to Wenger. A87 said that at around the same time that Pixie now claims to have been leading the "Wenger out!" chants.

You couldn't make this up!

14. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

..seems like Old HIAG has escaped the shackles and has been reborn as a twat once more? :)

PINKIE and The Ginger Marks like this.
  15. The Ginger Marks

Exactly you wouldn't want an AVB or a Ramos.

16. The Ginger Marks

The 'Twat' had never left he found a new toy and had played it to death. You can polish a turd all you like but it'll still be a turd at the end of the day!

PINKIE likes this.
  17. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Mate, you were banned from the Arsenal board 5 years ago. It's time to get over it and move on <laugh>

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  18. The Ginger Marks

#Ouch

19. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Well your forum talk was 'risk
    It all for for the big prizes' and I'm not listening to that either. <laugh>. The point here is quite simply, is not what a few people on a forum think should happen, but what Arsenal FC think is the best decision for them as a club.

They will not get rid of Wenger on a whim or on the back of fans saying they should. The only reason it will happen is if they have a candidate who they believe can do at least as good a job. Top 4 and CL every season might have become 'boring and predictable' to the fans, but the club simply are not going to chuck it away on the gamble that somebody else can do better unless they are confident that will happen.

It's like a card game, you have a King in your hand, you can swap it hoping to get an Ace, but you could quite easliy end up with a 6 of clubs, or worse.

20. The Ginger Marks

Fat Rafa is available as he is wanting out of Newcastle, he would be perfect for you. <ok>