1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Championship 23/24 Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Shandy_top_89, Apr 2, 2023.

1. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

Firstly apologies to CGT who tried to get this thread started during the Nathan Jonestown era (I did fish first but I think it has fallen far into the depths of the Southampton forum).

Now that I think its safe to say we are odds on to go down, it would be nice to have a 'positive' thread about how the club prepares for next season in the event we are in the Championship next season.

In other words not doom and gloom, but focusing on how the team is likely to shape up next season.

Can Jason Wilcox have a positive impact?

Who will stay/leave/join?

What shape the team could use.

Decent away days on the horizon.

Have at it.

Current situation according to Transfrmarkt.

Out

Ainslie Maitland-Niles (End of loan)
    Willy Cabellero (End of contract)
    Theo Walcott (End of contract)
    Mohammed Elyounoussi (End of contract)

Returning from loan (First Teamers only)

Nathan Tella
    Jack Stephens
    Will Smallbone
    Dan N Lundlulu
    Mateusz Lis

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  2. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

As I said on the matchday thread, the important thing will be getting the right manager. Get that right, and I would have real hope.

My preference was always to appoint that person as Jones' replacement, so as to give them a few months to get their feet under the table before the inevitable Championship season. But I can understand why they didn't do that.

Carrick has done a brilliant job so far for Boro. But in the grand scheme of management, he's only been doing it for 5 minutes. And I don't think I've watched any of their matches this season, so I have no idea what he is like as a manager and what his football style is.

I think we could attract Cooper if he was to become available. Not for a second do I think we could attract Potter, if he was to become available. Rodgers is probably a no, but I wouldn't rule it out.

3. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

The ex Luton manager is free I think. Somebody Jones.
    One of Europe's best.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  4. SaintMarv

SaintMarv Well-Known Member

He hasn't been gone too long so if we got him back it would be a Cruel Summer

5. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Potter is free…watch Leicester get him.

6. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

If Nottingham Forest panic and pull the trigger on Steve Cooper, we should let him have a little holiday and start pecking his head about coming to us in time for pre-season…

I’d also like Michael Carrick but do also worry that he’s only been doing the job for a very brief period (although very well and with good style).

Think it’ll be important to let Jason Wilcox pick his own man (no interference from above, or insistence on Selles please), his own recruitment head and then we best hope that the three of them can start to form a solid team to crack on with solving our litany of issues.

7. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

No problem, my man! Proud to have been the original flag bearer.

For me I think it is dangerous to expect too much from the whole Jason Wilcox thing. We all thought Ankersen was a genius when he joined, and look how that turned out.

The most important thing now is convincing the young players that a season smashing it in the Championship will be beneficial for them in the long run.

Is Selles the right man? There are probably better options out there, but I think having continuity is important right now. If he leaves, then I think the players will be less likely to stay.

A back four of Tino - ABK - Bednarek - Perraud would be one of the best defences in the division.

We've got good attacking players too but the key will be sorting midfield. I don't feel comfortable relying on Diallo even in the Championship. We need a leader there. If we are going to spend anything, I'd be spending it all on a DM or two.

Expecting to see AMN, JWP (40m) Lavia (40m), KWP (25m), Adams (18m), Salisu (20m), Stuie, Orsic, DCC all leave.

Mostlymadeofwater likes this.
  8. Che’s Godlike Thighs

From a practical standpoint, who would it be best to have as co-relegatees?

Worst squad, worst finances etc.

Forest because of their mad transfer gamble?

I feel West Ham would be a bad choice. Wouldn't fancy going up against Leeds either.

9. SaintMarv

SaintMarv Well-Known Member

Providing things are going well 8 more games to look forward to.

Schrodinger's Cat likes this.
  10. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

I think we should keep Selles just to stop the revolving door manager situation. Keep some stability.

Agree we need better than Diallo at CDM. I’m pretty much happy for most of the squad to leave, the only players I’ll miss are JWP and Lavia, who are the most likely to leave anyway.

Id like an experienced GK and experienced CDM. Who, I have no idea.

11. Le Tissier's Laces

I presume Wilcox realises that Rasmus is much cleverer than him though?

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  12. Le Tissier's Laces

I'm starting to quite look forward to it. Will be fun having a team that might actually win some games, and could conceivably have a chance of competing for a league.

13. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Yeah the main negative with the Championship is if you have a good season you have to come back to the pointless Premier League

14. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

I'm genuinely excited about this now.

Excited to play some different teams.
    Excited to win some more.
    Excited to be challenging for something.
    Excited to have more games.
    Excited to have a squad overhaul.
    Excited to see some of our youngsters coming through.

I know a lot of those points are hypothetical, and we'll still be lumbered with SR, but I'll genuinely be disappointed if we stay up now <laugh>

15. Saintmagic

I don’t think ABK or Perraud will stay. Livramento I would think will as he’s been out for so long that I can’t imagine Chelsea activate the buy back or anyone else gets close to our valuation, but you never know if he starts to kick up a fuss. Chelsea may want him playing at a higher level and were always intending to buy him back anyway so might activate then loan him out to a lower Prem team.

Agree with the others in your list, but very hard to know right now. My gut feeling is there will be lots of changes, think we are set to have about 35 players next year as it stands so there needs to be anyway

16. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

QPR, Reading, Bristol City and Millwall all interesting aways.

That said, I can see some of our coked up yoofs trying to kick off at Millwall, which would be, er, interesting.

LincolnSaint likes this.
  17. Che’s Godlike Thighs

That's the spirit! :emoticon-0148-yes:

shoot_spiderman likes this.
  18. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Problem with ABK is that he's on the verge of the Germany squad, and next season leads up to the Euros, hosted by the Germans. So he will definitely want to stay relevant. But it still requires someone meeting our valuation of him, and I would assume we want something north of 30m. Would many teams be willing to spend that on such a young CB? If so, it would likely be as backup. Maybe would fare better going abroad. Might be worth encouraging him to go on loan.

Perraud could easily go too, sure. But Norwich and Watford held on to players of better quality, so it's all about Ankersen's/Selles' persuasion skills.

Even if the three you mention all leave, then it's Bree - Bednarek - Stephens - Larios. Still decent, and even Lyanco and Simeu can do a job as backup.

19. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

One other tricky situation.

If (very likely) JWP leaves, who is the next captain?

The main candidates are all potential leavers but I am seeing Che or Bednarek as the most likely. Not necessarily the most popular choices, but I don't really see anyone else standing out for this.

Stephens or Stuey outside chances depending on how transfers pan out?

20. Saintmagic

Does it really matter? They just talk to the ref during the game