1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Chairman's Report

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Apr 22, 2022.

1. brb

brb CR250

2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

3. alwaysright

A more serious response ( perhaps ), from me !
    Much of the report is a re-hash of stuff we've heard before -- and, on a personal basis, it's wearing a bit thin...... You may wish to make the same 'criticism' of my responses - I haven't got a problem with repeating my facts - and I'm not trying to run a business using other people's ( fans ) money.

I can have the same 'sympathy' for Mr. Scally, as I have always had....My sons co-own 4 businesses in the hospitality sector - they allow me a deeper insight into their operations - and I can understand that deep 'complexities' are involved in commercial enterprises...... but what my sons don't do is to expect that some of the profits of a competitor -- who offer a far better quality of service (( such as the EPL )), are 'distributed' to my sons pockets!

We all have differing opinions about 'Football'. ... The bottom line is that important decisions in life are becoming more about financial priorities - and definitely greater value-for-money... There is ( sadly ), no longer room for sentimentality for football clubs, in terms of expecting footfall of fans.. There is much greater 'choice' in all walks of life - including football... Customers (fans), will look to prioritise their disposable income in a more productive way -- people will not tolerate sub-standard goods costing top money.... They will 'shop' elsewhere.

Scally 'roasted' Steve Evans - and quite rightly so. Scally regrets not removing Evans sooner - well - whose fault was that ? From his own admission, the internal problems had started at the very beginning of this season... They obviously got worse - otherwise Cumming and Kelman wouldn't have been recalled.... Did Mr. Scally not know what the Hell was happening ?...or was he too engrossed with his ego ( and avoiding low flying aeroplanes ), and either silent contempt for fans - or labelling us as 'cancer.' Could he not see what was clear to me - that Evans had decided that he would do his damned best to use tactics to relegate Gills before he left.... So why didn't Scally sack Evans sooner ( or got money for him from Stevenage ) -- because SCALLY, and NOBODY else had hired Evans on a contract that held Scally so tightly by his testicles - that there left no chance for any tanning opportunity..I am not condoning the behaviour of some fans - but the 'toxicity', against Mr. Scally - that, to varying degrees, was felt by many, was because of Scally's total lack of engagement with fans and the many issues ( mainly off the pitch ), that affected us....... and as for saying that he is open to peaceful protest - why did he instruct that the 'silent' protestors in Redfern Ave, before a game, be refused entry into the ground ?

Whilst on the subject of contracts -- I find it difficult to believe that SCALLY claims that player recruitment ( and terms ) were the SOLE responsibility of Evans...... Don't forget, Mr. Scally is so obsessed with TOTAL control at the Club - that he won't let any new owner (( or other low flying pig )), take charge without Scally still running the show!

When Scally says that he didn't take a pay rise during Covid - he is probably correct (( at least - that's what the accounts will show. )) But he conveniently failed to repeat the small matter of the 'expenses' incurred in winding up the operations in Dubai....if memory serves me correctly, I believe that Mr. Scally quoted £46,000 ( please correct me if I'm wrong ) --- At the time, I think I mentioned that it equated to over 27% 'increase'... So - where did that money come from ?? (( the accounts will show that it wasn't from his own pocket. ))

Mr. Scally denies spending £ 80,000 on a new car - and he is right to deny the allegation ! - WHY - because the car was on 'contract.' It was leased ( rather than bought ) - but - I would bet £80,000 that the 'contract' was a business expense of Gillingham Football Club... i would bet that Mr. Scally is NOT the registered owner of 'his' new car.......................It actually makes good business sense for GFC to be the 'official' keeper of the car - saving ££many thousands in tax concessions --- so - let's all play the violins for ''car-less Scally.''........ He obviously hasn't got enough money to be able to afford his own car ----------

......... So, don't expect him to dip his hand into his own pocket to spend another £1 of his own money to invest in Gillingham Football Club.... I make no apology for reminding you of the fact that Mr.Scally has only ever used £1 of his own money in the Club (( I keep asking him - or anyone else to disprove my claim. ))

I want GFC to continue to exist - even to the point that I will (begrudgingly), allow Mr. Scally to continue to feed from my trough.... I know that I am a fool for failing to prioritise my money in a more economical manner - but that is my choice.... I am willing for Mr. Scally ( or anyone else ) to call me a fool -- but -- please I am not stupid.... I am numerate and can count to 27%, £46,000 or £ 80,000 or should I just stop at just £1.

....... ok - the sun is up - time to get my testicles out !

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    WINDYROG likes this.
  4. brb

brb CR250

From the point of lease cars, lots of people have them with companies, I'd also say quite a high percentage of cars on the road that are leased are also high mileage users, where it is not econimical to buy a car outright, that would have been round the clock in, let's say within three years.

I've just googled it for the UK, 5 million cars on the road are leased, much as I thought, a high number.

However, the downside is that the government tax the backside off their drivers or use too, this all came to fruit over a decade or two ago (don't really know), when the government saw them as a source of revenue collecting, so you get taxed on the vehicle and also taxed on any private fuel allowance you may have. So much so, unless you are a high mileage user, then the benefits of business contract gradually dwindle.

Personally I think it makes perfect sense for the Chairman to have a lease car, it's probably what I would do if it was my business, mainly because I hate the aggro of when things go wrong, let the lease company sort it out, dependent on the type of lease (I assume) taken out.

What I am unsure of while writing this is if the Chairman pays for the lease out of his own pocket or whether it comes out of any *Gillingham FC revenue. It's probably stated somewhere and I either missed it or skimmed read pass it. If the *latter, it's a large benefit (taxable), but no different as stressed above to any other business, but from a thought process point of view, part of your salary ie a saving to be had to save you paying for it out of your own income. Again I repeat, not completely free as it is taxable but I would count it as part of my salary if it was me, so personally speaking only.

If I have any terminolgy wrong above, lease/contract/etc, I apologise in advance and am happy to be updated on a recent tax laws regarding such contracts. Please also note, I'm referring to business lease, not private leasing.

To cut the above story short, what I'm saying is I don't see a problem with it, especially as I wouldn't even want to run a football club, not even one I've supported for over 40 years, it just aint worth the hassle. If I'd been the Chairman I would have walked long ago, it ain't worth your health.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  5. alwaysright

brb - it's PERFECT sense for businesses to lease vehicles..One of my sons has a brand new Tesla ( £ 53,000 ) - which. after favourable tax concessions - against his business, effectively costs £ 34,000...... The 'lease' terminology allows Mr. Scally to legitimately deny that he has spent £x on a car that he personally owns.... the same way he can deny (effectively) taking a 27% pay rise during Covid - because it was money used to pay expenses as he left his tax exile..... so - not only did he not pay tax (( whilst taking £Millions of FANS' money )), he sent FANS the bill for packing up - and no doubt other expenses - such as the cost of air travel on his 30 visits to the UK during all those years.........like I said, I am a fool - but not stupid !...... In life, I can't always stop being taken for a clot , but, I can't help myself from letting it be known that I am aware of my 'treatment.'

6. brb

brb CR250

If I was to replace a previously leased car with a new one, that would be the normal thing to do, so it's not an increase in costs, just a continuation of existing costs surely?

It might even be required contractually, after a certain number of years have passed, renewed every three years as a completely random example.

As a Chairman he needs a car for business purposes at least, he's not going to turn up to meet a prospective buyer, in a robin reliant. <laugh>

I would expect any businessman or woman at the very least to have a nice office and a nice motor, so suppose I'm not seeing the problem, if there is one. Now if you were to tell me during covid he upgraded his robin reliant to a BMW, then that would be a different issue.

Anyway, I'm off to meet a client now, so best go start up my motorbike and side car, in case they want me to take them to dinner.

7. brb

brb CR250

alwaysright likes this.
  8. brb

brb CR250

Oh my, just seen this on twitter, make sure to have the sound on <laugh>

9. alwaysright

What can you get for JUST £1 ?
    just about enough fuel to drive an expensive car out of the showroom.
    A lottery ticket.
    A football club.
    I have a different agenda to Scally 'acquiring' the use of a motor car on expenses - or using critical funding to finance a tax-exile lifestyle and jet-set travel across the globe..... My main objection is to Mr Scally (( or anyone else splashing my money )), and trying to insult my intelligence..

When he might have some legitimate reason to 'play the victim', he spectacularly loses any sympathy coming his way by not accepting his responsibility when things go wrong.... He wants all the power - and that comes with responsibility....... I still expect Gills to 'just' fail to avoid relegation --- Scally could have avoided that situation by sacking Evans 3 or more months earlier ((( remember him 'shafting' Martin Allen in September - after a championship winning season ))) -- NO - Scally couldn't afford to pay off Mr. Evans - and yet, by being relegated, Gills will lose a lot more money in so many ways - as well as going backwards in terms of football.......
    still - why should he care - he's sitting on a goldmine of a housing building site -- and then he can go back to his mates in Millwall.

10. brb

brb CR250

I'm sure I wrote a thread that three months prior, stating Evans should go...I need go find it, to see what we said...

11. brb

brb CR250

alwaysright likes this.
  12. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

All in good time...

I was considering going down for the Rotherham match, but our position after today's result is such that I don't think another voice will help - especially if 8,000-ish didn't help against Fleetwood.

I might spend the time I would have spend driving down reading the report and making a few comments.

brb likes this.
  13. brb

brb CR250

I look forward to reading your views mate, alwaysright has been keeping me entertained this week, I'm sure he has worked out I'm only playing devils advocat for balance and I often have tongue in cheek awaiting the next reply.

14. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Without sounding too pessimistic, it was about 15 pages too long as majority of it was what we already knew. Only thing for me that was new was them trying to host a music festival at the stadium in 2023 and that MEMS had agreed to stick around for another year.

We knew he was going to rip into Evans and let's be honest everyone knew it was a relationship that was going to end in tears, I think we all wished it had been done earlier. If the season started when Harris had taken over, we would be 13th in the league.

brb and alwaysright like this.
  15. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Ah but you also said Basil Hayward was before your time so therefore maybe that memory of yours has already faded and this thread was a lie <cheers>

brb likes this.
  16. alwaysright

PegLeg - ignore brb.....
    He likes to 'wind up' (( and usually succeeds ! )) - thinks he's being clever by mentioning a past manager - who most won't know, let alone remember..
    ...ps - I bet there's no other Gills fan ( still going to matches ), who'se had an actual medical examination by Clifford Grossmark....
    .... mind you, some would say that our current chairman has got everyone's testicles tightly in his hands - when he says ''cough '', he means 'cough up' £££ !

The Gills PegLeg and brb like this.
  17. brb

brb CR250

Not true, I remember Basil very well....

please log in to view this image

Resurgam likes this.
  18. brb

brb CR250

If only you had all listened to me on November 6th, 2021 - we wouldn't be in this mess. The evidence is there for all to see.

Anyway, someone has to stick up for the Chairman, I just feel sorry for him after his heart wrenching story report. Although if he took up reading not606, he would have received good business advice back in November in getting rid of Evans, from ME!......well that's if he ignored everyone of you of course. <laugh>

Feels like old times on here really and other remarkable advice I gave all you lads, Dack or Cody, seems I was right about that as well, Dack playing for Championship team Blackburn, while the latter, reached the dizzy heights of Ebbsfleet.

19. alwaysright

brb- I think that you've had your testicles exposed to the sun for too long....you of all people have no right to utter the word 'Cody'! ... Sadly, the truth of the matter is that several contributors could have given Scally sound business advice - but he is too short-sighted to recognise it.

brb likes this.
  20. brb

brb CR250

<laugh>

please log in to view this image

alwaysright likes this.