1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The caravan conundrum

Discussion in 'Watford' started by zen guerrilla, Apr 26, 2011.

1. aberdeenhornet

aberdeenhornet Well-Known Member

Cairo is good, no left turn you have to do a U turn and its compulsory to block the road if you can. The brilliant transport minister has come out in favour of trying an increase to 80- and if it works derestricting some bits. For me that would be fantastic if they could derestrict bottom of M74 and top of M6 so I could try those beautiful long curves out at 150-170...........................joy...

2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

My worst driving experience was on a vast roundabout on the Milan ringroad. It had just been resurfaced and there were no markings on it. What should have been a four lane road was turned into ten. Total nightmare. <yikes>

If you are caught speeding by more than 35% over the limit here, the police can confiscate your licence on the spot. Eric Clapton was caught not far from here doing 140mph on a 80mph autoroute. His licence was taken away, but he had a passenger who was able to take over the driving.

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

My worst driving experience was on a tiny mountain track in Crete about 25 years ago - single track with passing spaces and a 2000 foot drop on one side with no barriers - I have never been so frightened in my driving life - we found a different way back :)

4. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

Did exactly the same myself, Leo. Round about 1980 in Southern Crete in a hire car with a dodgy hand brake. Followed a road to a supposedly brilliant beach. It followed a twisting gorge for 10k or so. There was nowhere to turn round so we had no choice but to go on. The surface was loose shale which added to the insecurity especially on corners. The beach was beautiful but I spent the whole day apprehensive about the return drive. We made it but I never trusted a Cretan map again.

5. Roowfc

Roowfc Member

Wearyellow you called my mum a kangaroo. May you head become stuck in a portaloo. Good day to you sir donkey

6. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

The pedant in me has to interject here - w~y was wrong to assume from your username that your mother is Kanga. If she were, you would be named joey - thought even poms knew that.

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Theo - it has to be the same road /beach :) - loose shale and all. There was one place on a bend where the road widened out a bit and I thought of a 3 point turn (well I would have actually gone for a 97 point turn) but the thought of pointing the car at a huge drop on a loose shale road made me go all cold - so I went on

8. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

Leo I take it your not the type that goes bungee jumping <laugh>

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I get vertigo standing on a chair :)

10. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Anyway would you trust a bungee rope made by someone who called himself a Cretan ? :)

11. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

But Roo's mum is called Kanga and Roo is called Roo, not Joey...