1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canary Dave

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Morning all...
    Spending these few quarantine days.. Sorting the house to go on the market.. We have so much stuff! Plan to move to a flat more than half the size.. A lot of belongings to go!
    BB I hope your son managed to get sorted...
    Have a good day folks..

oldfrenchhorn likes this.
  2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all. Weather as normal. In a year without a virus the Tour de France would have been long over and confined to the record books, but this year it is still in full swing. Amazingly the weather has been little different to what we see in July, but the countryside is looking rather bare with fields of sunflowers where all of the colour has drained away, and they are just waiting for the machines to arrive to cut the stalks and seedheads. At least there has been a bonus this weekend as I don't have to decide if I should watch football or cycling on a hot Saturday afternoon. Have a good day whatever you are doing. <ok>

3. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Very much the same weather, warm and dry. I might have to start transporting water from the house to the fields soon unless we have some rain, and that is not much fun. It is very quiet in the village now as the English part-timers have left, the Parisians have shut up the largest house, and none of the farm workers have had to work today. One of the big climbs today in the Tour de France which will sort out some in the race. I will take the afternoon off to watch. Have a good day all. <ok>

4. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Afternoon y'all.

Played some pool yesterday for the first time in a while. Needless to say, I was a bit rusty despite being able to play very well. I love pool but can't find snooker tables here which was my staple in England.

Anyways, Sunday and time to relax.

Mis saludos a todos.

5. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Things I was not born to do: quantum physics; snooker.... absolutely hopeless, and I used to play quite regularly. Just never, ever improved. Awful. Just awful. Gave it up in the finish about twenty five years ago... Mrs Fez is under orders to cuff me around the ear if I ever even think about saying yes to my pals.

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  6. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

I used to play snooker on good, full sized tables in a Miners' Working Mens' Club that I joined with some mates when I was a student. Some of the locals were not too happy about long haired student louts playing on their tables. We initially went because the beer was as cheap as the student bar and it was walking distance from home rather than someone having to drive.

7. yorkshirehornet

Morning all..
    Going to be a warm one oop North..... and our last quarantine day..... cant wait to get out and about..
    Enjoy your day.....................

8. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Jobs this morning, then retire to the cooler house as it is going to be hot this afternoon. Sky/Ineos have never been a loved cycling team in France as people equate them with PSG or Man. City, just go out and buy the people that you want for your team. I wasn't surprised yesterday to watch the wheels fall off in spectacular fashion as the person that this year they placed all of their hopes on was not up to the task. The team have operated to a format for a number of seasons, but this year do not have the people that can grind other teams down on the steep mountains. They have in the past had someone who could take matters into their own hands when they could see their team flagging, but that has gone. It looks as though they will strengthen again when this strange season is over, but for this year names that have looked good on paper have not performed. Have a good day whatever you might do. <ok>

9. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

That takes me back a few years - I used to play pool a lot in Australia as an honorary member of my local Returned Services League club. On the first of my regular holidays back here, I decided to take in our away match at Hereford - our last visit there, if I'm not wrong - a midweek match that necessitated train travel and a two hour wait for a connection at Preston. To while the time away, I wandered into a pub near the station, sat down and watched two guys playing pool - when they realised I was watching, they started playing poorly - obviously pool sharks trying to lure me in. Sure enough, one of them challenged me for a small bet 'to make it interesting', a challenge I accepted and did just enough to win even though he again played poorly. Obviously sensing a victim he upped the stakes to make it more interesting - £15, a lot of money back then. True to form, he upped his game, but so did I - and wiped the floor with him. I walked away with the cost of my train ticket, admission to the ground and a taxi back from the ground to the station after the match all paid for - not to mention a couple of beers on the train home to celebrate the joy of having watched Ross Jenkins score our solitary and winning goal.

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Another hot and sunny day in store with temperatures likely to be around 34°C in the shade. Yesterday three men arrived at 8.00 am and started to strip the roof tiles off the house across the road. By midday they had all of the tiles off and most of the battens. In true French fashion they then went off for lunch at the Café des Sports, but returned at 2.00 pm, removed the last of the battens, then started to install the new ones. No hammer on nail head these days, just a pop as the gun drives them in. By 6.00 pm all of the new battens are fixed, and now waiting for the tiles to arrive. Quite how they managed to work throughout the afternoon in the blazing heat I do not know. I was slumped in doors, not moving, yet still hot. They are back now, a late start so we will see what they plan to do today. Have a good day whatever you are doing. <ok>

11. Mexican Hornet

Day off here tomorrow as @ midnight tonight it is the shout for independence.

Lovely, some good food and drinks tonight after work and then tomorrow to loaf about like a pro.

12. Bolton's Boots

Viva Mexico!
    I suspect there may be two or three more countries joining in the independence thing soon.;)

oldfrenchhorn and Mexican Hornet like this.
  13. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Not even a small breeze this morning, but the sun is up and we are told to expect temperatures of 33°C this afternoon. There is some hope on the rain front with some possible at the weekend which might just prevent me transporting water down the fields. I see that the team leader at Ineos has quit the Tour now that he can no longer win. French commentators I have read suggest that leaving Thomas or Froome out of the team was a mistake, although I can see that they were not in the best of form. Two from the team yesterday were allowed to ride their own races and did well. I will see if they have the same freedom today as they hit the mountains again. The final climb is different, it’s actually a ski slope that has been recently asphalted for mountain bikes. Have a good day whatever you are doing. <ok>

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  14. yorkshirehornet

Temperature dropped almost 15 degrees here today... chilly....

15. yorkshirehornet

morning.... house up for sale now.... and lots of viewings over the next few days........ oh such fun.......MMe wants the move badly.... I dont actually mind.... but having spent two weks of quarantine tidying and cleaning and sorting.... something needs ot come of this!

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright and sunny again and just had a chat to my neighbour who was out doing some gardening while still in the shade of the house. Quite a lot to say about the university at Poitiers raising the numbers of those with coronavirus. Seeing as it is the same department as us there could be restrictions coming our way again. Clearly what might make sense for a large city doesn't seem relevant for the rural areas, but if it happens we will live with it again. Have a good and safe day day. <ok>

17. Bolton's Boots

Big sign on the door saying 'no mask=no entry'?

18. Bolton's Boots

So I treated myself to one of those framed pictures of The Vic that the club sell, and it arrived today. Not being an experienced picture hanger, I have no idea how I'm supposed to hang it with this thing. Nothing else came with the package and there are no other attachments on the back of the frame - am left wondering if there is something missing. Any experts who can offer advice?

upload_2020-9-17_16-59-50.png

19. Mexican Hornet

Think you screw that to the frame, but, will need a nail in the wall to hang it off.

20. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Difficult to see, but it looks to me as though that bracket is to fix to the wall and then there should be another bracket that is attached to the picture and slots in.