1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canary Dave

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright and sunny but not quite as warm out there yet as it looks. Went to buy half a dozen Brussel Sprout plants yesterday to pop in a spare piece of ground, but the garden centre had sold out. Instead I have some kale that I have never tried to grow before, but seemingly will be quite happy in the colder days ahead. The only problem is that it needs plenty of water and none is forecast for the next seven days. Perhaps they will be wrong again. Have a good day whatever you will be doing. <ok>

2. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Kale is a great winter crop.... as is spinach etc...... we will be planting some....
    have a good day... .cool and damp ooop north

3. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Having largely got interested in veggie gardening since being in Germany it took a while to realize that kale was Grünkohl ! I haven't tried this yet although it is very often grown here. I've had spinach in the garden before but prefer chard - it appears to go a lot further.

4. yorkshirehornet

True................ Chard does better than spinach IMO.... Kale can last all through the winter and you can harvest it again and again..... it is a good winter crop

5. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. A lovely sunny morning again, but no rain in sight. The Tour de France comes through town on Thursday and already the roundabouts have additional decoration on them. A series of very old bicycles have been unearthed and painted up in traditional Tour colours, then strapped to the lamp posts. Crowd control barriers are stacked up ready to be deployed showing what a massive operation this is. LeClerc, one of the large sponsors now have all their staff dressed in king of the mountain replica shirts. Talk about spots before the eyes! Have a good day whatever you are doing. <ok>

6. yorkshirehornet

Good day all from a rainy Yorks.
    Happy that Dentists have returned to atleas being able to treat.
    I am hoping therefore to get a Uk Crown fitted to my french root canal soon.
    Hoever because of health and safety the dentist has to put virtually a half day aside for each treatment... so a bit of a wait required...

Have a good one... and hey... the Orns beat Tottenham on the w/e.... worth a :grin:

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright and not a cloud in sight. There is a high pressure area sat on top of us and it shows little sign of moving. My current battle is with chickweed that is enjoying the water that I give to my vegetable plants. It keeps growing at an alarming rate and the only thing to do is bend the back and do hand weeding. Chickens love it as the name suggests, but I do not dare to try and keep them with all of the wildlife around that will see them as a tasty meal. Have a good day whatever you must do. <ok>

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  8. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

So, did anyone feel the tremor this morning? 3.9 on the Richter Scale and 10km deep. Apparently happened whilst I was driving to work , I assume so as I didn't feel anything. Shook the house enough to cause a couple of things to fall off a shelf - though precariously perched according to Mrs Fez!

9. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright and sunny as expected and the temperature is starting to climb again. There was a tremor off the west coast here a few years ago that we did not feel, but our old chiming clock did notice it and did a few bongs. One of the items reported on when we bought the house was the likelihood of earthquakes, which thankfully was very low. Heavy stone held together with mud seems to withstand such things pretty well. Have a good day whatever you are up to. <ok>

10. yorkshirehornet

Good day my friends......

11. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright blue sky again and no rain clouds in sight. Water restrictions that have been in place for private homes to prevent swimming pools being topped up have now spread to farmers who are only allowed to water their crops for short periods in the evenings. Where I live we have some deep underground reservoirs that always seem to be holding plenty of water, but further north open reservoirs have seen the water levels shrink dramatically. Our village pond that was overflowing in the Spring is now a good 60cm lower due to evaporation. In my time here I have seen some summers that have been very dry, but now it seems that it is happening most years. Have a good day whatever the weather. <ok>

12. yorkshirehornet

Morning all.... my new rotavator has arrvied this morning and been quietly assembled, erm,,, try testing a rotavator quietly.... , whilst mme is in bed with a heavy cold (???).

She has seen the packaging but hopefully she will forget about it.....

I will have trouble justifying to myself let alone her why I have just bought a rotavator when we arep lanning ot move to a flat.... But I always wanted one.... so ................

Have a good one

13. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Flats can still have gardens though - or extremely large window boxes.;)

14. yorkshirehornet

Phew...... !

15. Bolton's Boots

Anyone got a shotgun they can lend me?

My youngest son was recently accepted onto a Social Sciences course at the Perth College of the University of Highlands and Islands. On the strength of that, he applied and was approved for a student loan - and we signed a 12 month lease on a flat in Perth. Today was his online orientation day - the bloody lecturer told him he shouldn't have been enrolled and simply cut him off. The College is actually closed for visitors, no-one answering the phone and emails get an automated response. My son has a mental health issue - and is understandably in tears and spiralling downwards. I'm so angry I feel like murdering someone...<grr>

16. yorkshirehornet

That is shocking....
    So does he not have a place at all? Or is the course not functioning..
    I tihnk you should get advice. The NUS people at the college itself wouyld be a good place to start.....

17. Bolton's Boots

I'm not entirely sure - I've been communicating with him via Messenger and his responses have been 'brief'. I gave him the contact details of the College's Wellbeing & Support Officer who is there to help students such as himself - am waiting to hear back.

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

What a carry on BB. I sincerely hope that between the two of you and the college something can be sorted out quickly.

19. yorkshirehornet

Good morning...
    Big day today for WFC..
    .. And my thoughts this morning have gone to Brian and Dave....
    Have a good day....

20. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Clear blue sky and a temperature of 30°C expected this afternoon. Daughter who is on holiday in Scotland has been sending pictures of deserted beaches, with her wrapped up well against the weather and chasing after her hat that the wind is taking away. It looks lovely when viewed from here as I have missed getting to the coast this year. Just as we thought that maybe a few days away might be possible we watched as the coastal areas showed a spike in cases and decided against. Quite possible that as people have returned to the large towns and cities they have taken it with them. Now waiting to see what restrictions may come in soon. Have a good day whatever you might do. <ok>