1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canary Dave

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all. Real arm float weather here today. My daughter in England was saying she would hopefully pop over to France as soon as possible to see us, so I suggested she look at the regulations for pet passports as they are changing. I then found out that the regulations for people travelling are also changing and not for the good. Trying to make sense of it all is taking some doing. Most EU countries websites now have something about the applications that can be required, which applies to all third country nationals, not just UK ones. Staying with a friend or relative can be a major operation that you have to start four weeks before you travel, and obtain a permit from the local town hall. I will put some more up when I can put the certainties and uncertainties into a readable form. More reading is certainly required. Have a good day whatever you are doing. <ok>

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  3. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Changeable would be a very apt description of our weather again. One minute bright blue sky and then driven by a stiff wind complete cloud cover. The temperature is only expected to reach 16°C, so it still doesn't feel very warm. Normally by the middle of May I am in full summer gear and wondering how I will make my water supply down the fields last. Not this year, so what has changed? It seems that the jet stream coming across the Atlantic is further south than normal, but if that is the cause which seems likely, then why? No answer to that as yet. Have a good day whatever the weather. <ok>

4. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Afternoon folks. Sad news today as Mrs Fez Snr. died in the early hours this morning. She had picked up an infection following heart surgery to replace a valve but it looks like this set off a series of cancers, particularly the pancreas... a bit tough on someone who didn't drink, the surgery was intended to give her a bit more "oomph" for her final years but it was the beginning of the end alas: the person who went in for surgery was not the one who came out.
    It's been an accelerating downward spiral over the past few weeks, especially days. Nothing they could do except try to make her comfortable. The circumstances with covid have made things especially hard to take.
    A lovely lady, she will be missed by all that knew her. Mrs Fez is in bits as you can imagine (or indeed empathize completely) and I'm just keeping busy and supporting the best I can.

5. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

That is really sad news Fez, especially when it was hoped to make things better for her. My thoughts are with you and Mrs. Fez getting such rotten news.

duggie2000 likes this.
  6. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Oh.......................................... I have just seen this..... very sorry Fez

duggie2000 likes this.
  7. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

That's awful news - my condolences to Mrs Fez.

8. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this. Will be thinking of you.

9. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Sad news Fez, I know you will support Mrs Fez in every way. Time heals everything.

10. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

Best wishes to your wife and all her family

11. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

We had our first coffeees in a cafe indoors today and paid for next seasons season tickets

Hornet-Fez likes this.
  12. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Thanks for your well wishes, much appreciated.
    Mrs Fez is back at the oncologist at the end of next week. We were watching a show this evening, one of those reality tv efforts, and the lady they were following has had the same problems. Good to hear her talk openly and raise awareness, a brave lady in my book.

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  13. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Good day all. Rather late today, but as it is trying to rain again there doesn't seem to be a great rush to get out and at it. I think a visit to the garage that has my car is called for. They said they would phone to give me the price for repairs, but nothing so far. The last one were never good at phoning, and I found that a visit was the best way to stir them into action. A look of disapproval somehow gets lost on a telephone. Have a good day all. <ok>

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Sunshine and showers yet again. Visited the garage yesterday and found my car in bits, which was a good sign, but a shrug of the shoulders when I asked how much or when it might be ready. Normally put your car into a garage and you have to sign giving them permission to delve into it's inner workings as a friend found out. On a touring holiday down by the Med. his car broke down and was taken to a local garage. He and his wife gave up on the touring and jumped on a train to bring them home. The garage refused to even look at his car until he returned to give his signature. The friend decided that another train journey plus likely repair costs would be more than the car was worth, so just left it with them and bought another one. Have a good day whatever you must do. <ok>

15. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. A brighter picture today with no rain forecast and a few degrees warmer. Yesterday our evening curfew went back a couple of hours to 9.00pm and the non-essential shops could reopen. Our largest supermarket used to close at 7.00pm except for a Friday when it had late night shopping until 7.30pm. It is now going to be open Monday-Saturday until 8.00pm. Our daughter-in-law from Leeds couldn't believe that we didn't have shops open half the night, or that there were no little corner stores to go to late evenings when you have forgotten to bring nappies for a small baby. She also didn't realize that the nearest motorway services that might have such things was 50 miles away. Still problem over as the baby is now 18 years old. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Grey and wet again, but just maybe the sun will appear this afternoon. Finally had a phone call to say my car was ready. As suspected it was a cylinder that had given up and allowed the hydraulic fluid to escape. It is good to know that the VAT I paid should keep the French economy alive and well for the next few weeks. Managed to hack my way down to the fields and despite little sun it was good to see that I have strawberries turning red. They are well protected against birds, but not so sure they are safe from mice and voles. I will be keeping a close eye on them. Have a good day everyone
    <ok>

Toby likes this.
  17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. A wet, windy and miserable day outside, so more inside jobs to do. Having received back the car I have been going through the glove box that tended to get any papers thrown in there when we were travelling. I have discovered UK supermarket receipts going back six years, which gives a good idea of just how far prices have risen. Then there were the ferry tickets and boarding cards that showed just when we had been to England or Corsica. Having emptied it completely and disposed of the unwanted I thought there would be plenty of room for essentials like Imperial Mints, but it still seems full. Have a good day whatever your weather. <ok>

Toby likes this.
  18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Sunshine one moment followed by cloud the next as it is still quite breezy out there. Another public holiday tomorrow, so the Parisians who have the family home are down for the weekend. There was a lengthy conversation between them and Josiane who lives just across the road from us and it was quite amusing to watch her keeping her distance from them. As they took a step towards her, she took a step back from them. She has clearly taken keeping your distance fully on board. I think that many of us do that without thinking now and wonder if the arm around the shoulder habit will disappear for good. Have a good day whatever you are doing. <ok>

19. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

I hope not! <hug>

20. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Raining when I got up, a period of blue sky, and now the clouds are rolling back in again on a stiff breeze. I have a feeling that not much gardening is going to get done today with a forecast of more rain to come this afternoon. Many of the town councils have their own campsites and over the past couple of weeks they have been spruced up. Wash blocks all cleaned out and fresh paint applied where requires, the grass cut and the flower beds freshly planted. The only problem now is that with this weather no one would want to use them. Have a good day whatever your weather. <ok>