1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canary Dave

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

I must be getting old. I've just been informed by my dentist that I need a root canal sorting out - GBP700.
    I also have to see an eye surgeon to investigate possible glaucoma that my optometrist noted.
    So far there seems to be nothing wrong with my ears - other than what Mrs NZ regularly comments on.

As for the weather, it has turned a little chillier.

2. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

I have just had to go private to have a root canal job that my dentist can't do.. NHS dentists don't have the equipment... And yes.. Very expensive..

3. yorkshirehornet

4. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all. Broken cloud, mild but windy best describes the weather in rural France. Just back from the bread machine that you have to get to before the hoards arrive and what you want has been sold. Today the baker was back from a weeks holiday. The schools in this region are having their two weeks off so that the pupils and parents can head for the ski slopes, except of course they are not open this year. Son in Leeds built an office in the garden so that he can work from home. He quite likes not having to travel each day, and despite increases in his electricity bills they are more than set off by money he saves on fuel and park and ride fees. He has now been told that the City council is going to lease out his offices, so he is unlikely to go back there, and will continue from his back garden. Have a good day whatever you have planned. <ok>

5. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Same here - although I'm not sure if my wife comments or not.;)

6. Bolton's Boots

Can he not claim home office expenses in his tax return?
    My wife and daughter both work from home during lockdown periods and our power bills shoot up alarmingly each time - especially recently in winter. We've been keeping records meticulously and will be submitting a claim in April.

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I am out of touch what you can and cannot claim for these days. People on PAYE never used to have to do a tax return unless they had a second job. If you wished to claim for a few things that were allowed you had to put in a form and keep your fingers crossed that it would be accepted. The larger problem used to be over using your home as part business premises and the ramifications that had on council tax.

8. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. A beautiful Spring like day, with a blue sky and warm sunshine. Son-in-law finishes his contract in Switzerland at the end of the month and has chosen a new two year one in Belgium from the six that were offered to him. He will work from home for two weeks of the month and the other two weeks in the office. I have been reading about someone who needed a work visa for Belgium and the hoops and costs involved. I hope that it turns out easier for him. So now it is full steam ahead to convert one of the outbuildings here in France into a proper office. Currently it is full of small branches that were used in the hamlets bread oven as well as a mummified snake about a metre long. My daughter who is clearing it fell out of the first floor entrance, so now is doing it with a harness attached to one of the beams. This time she is getting a builder in to do the work, so I am spared. Have a good day whatever you must do. <ok>

9. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Dry and windy currently, but showers forecast for this afternoon. I have some outside jobs that need attention, so had better get on with them incase the Météo is correct for once. Yesterday on our way to town we noticed the first cowslips are appearing in the verges. It is noticeable how despite all being classed as yellow, cowslips, dandelions and buttercups all have different shades. Reminds of telling the police that my car was red after it had been broken into. "Yes sir, it might be red, but which red?" I forget now which red we picked out from the list, but doubt it was the right one. Have a good day whatever you have to do. <ok>

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Overcast at present but the sun is expected to break through and a temperature of 18°C is possible this afternoon. I watched a great program on TV yesterday when the rains came about some people living a self sufficient lifestyle in Alaska. The conditions during the winter were harsh to put it mildly, but I learnt how to heat a house by turning an old oil drum into a wood burner. Although I enjoy making or growing useful things I doubt that I could cope with quite that degree of hardship. Life would be very different without electricity. No floodlight football immediately comes to mind. Have a good day with three points please. <ok>

11. Bolton's Boots

I think I may have mentioned this before, but if you like that sort of TV program there is a YouTube channel called 'Living off grid w/ Jake and Nicole' that is well worth subscribing to. The couple decided a couple of years ago to buy a plot of land in the middle of a forest on Vancouver Island and live the self-sufficient lifestyle - and ever since they have been creating videos of their progress (currently around 250 videos), showing how they cleared the land, built and improved a yurt to live in, and grow what they eat. All done with electricity thanks to solar panels - and they could watch football if they so desired thanks to the internet. It looks like a hard life, but I wouldn't say they were suffering hardship - although that may change if they're still there later in life.

12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Dry and mild, but a blustery wind. Yesterday was the first day for what seems like ages that I could really get stuck into outside work, making a start on clearing up in the gardens by the house. I think I may have been at it a little too long as by the time of the kickoff last night bits of me were complaining. More of the same today and with a little luck I will loosen up. Have a good day whatever you will be doing. <ok>

13. yorkshirehornet

I love those programmes.... I think age is catching up with us here.... .we camped in the garden for a couple of nghts this summer....... but that is all....

Morning all... packig up the house here for our move next week.... we still have enough stuff for two car runs to the charity shop..... but not open.... so will take with us and then take round to Oxfam when they reopen

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright and warm, but still quite breezy. The bees are out in the garden attracted by Mme's hellébores that are in flower. One of my friends is a beekeeper and has lost them all this winter. It has not been that cold to have killed them off, so I wonder if the constant wet weather is responsible. They survived well last winter when it wasn't really cold either, but it wasn't as wet as this year. Must find out more about them. Have a good day whatever the weather. <ok>

15. Bolton's Boots

Didn't the French government allow the temporary use of neonicotinoids - known to be toxic for bees - last year?

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

There was a campaign by sugar beet growers to allow use of it due to a massive aphid attack. It was always possible under EU law to allow exemptions when faced with something of this nature. The French ministry said the exemption for sugar beet would only apply to pre-treated seeds, with field-spraying of neonicotinoids to remain banned. This permission was only granted in October 2020, so if the treated seed had been sown straight away, it would not have been in flower yet.

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Cloud cover, but dry and an expected temperature of 17°C. I have the car boot full of cardboard boxes for the recycling centre. I also have loads of bubble wrap that is useful to wrap around flower pots and stop them cracking when we have frost. However I also have strings of packaging in the form of little airbags that I haven't thought of a use for yet. Any ideas? Must head off with my cargo as the recycling centre is on reduce hours. Have a good day whatever you are doing. <ok>

18. Bolton's Boots

My daughter works in a school nursery - she takes those airbag thingys there for the kids to play with - they're also useful for inspiring their imagination.

19. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Broken cloud, very mild and a few days without rain is forecast. Just been on my hands and knees in the lane trying to get Fritz the neighbour's cat out from under Mme's car. She had just set off when the stupid creature dashed under her moving car. No amount of calling, prodding with a light stick or slowly moving the car made him come out. Horn blasting, engine revving all to no avail. In the end a slightly larger stick was needed before he shot off to hide beneath my car. He is blind in one eye, but I think he is going daft now as he normally gets out of the way whenever there is a car about. Better check now under my car as I need to go out for some bread. Have a good day <ok>

20. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Another sunny and warm day ahead and plenty to do. Mme's car is booked in for a couple of new tyres this morning, so might as well do the weekly shop while we are in town. Managed to cut the grass along the lane leading to the fields yesterday which will make walking and pushing the wheelbarrow easier. Now I need to put some cloches up to warm the soil before the first crops get sown. Looking at the ground it appears I will have some weeding to do before I get that far. Still it is a pleasure when the sun is on your back. Have a good day whatever you will be doing. <ok>