1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canary Dave

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all. A lovely morning again, and expected to be quite warm this afternoon. We decided to change our routine, and instead of the normal Friday shopping trip we waited until Tuesday. As we thought, it was much quieter in the supermarket, in fact there were more staff than customers. A notice at the entrance said that the number of customers allowed in at one time was limited to 700, and only 450 trolleys would be available. Certainly no problems there as I doubt that there were even a 100 customers. No idea how they intended to count the people going in as there was no member of staff with a clicker. However having changed the day of the shop, I was expecting to see Friday evenings TV programmes, and was a bit lost when I discovered that the output is different on a Tuesday. :emoticon-0101-sadsm Have a good day what day it might be. <ok>

2. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Hola a todos.

Only got a 3 day week here - luvlijubli.

andytoprankin and Hornet-Fez like this.
  3. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. A clear blue sky again, but I am informed that there was heavy rain and a wild wind at about 3.00 am. I heard nothing, but I had been busy clearing deadwood from the entrance to the fields. Last year I took the car as far along the green lane as possible as I had bags of compost that were needed down there. I chose to do it after a wet spell and the car became stuck. In the end I had to get a neighbour to pull me out with his car, so although I have more heavy bags to take down there, it can wait for a dry spell. Have a good day whatever you are doing. <ok>

andytoprankin likes this.
  4. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Howdy Folks,
    Just an update to say that Mrs Fez goes back in for surgery between Xmas and New Year, thus far looks like pre-emptive as she would have had in April had things been "normal". Relieved to know that she is cancer free at present. Hopefully, if all goes well, that will be an end to this particular saga.

5. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Best wishes to both of you Fez, and hope that all goes very well for the good lady. Will her predictive skills be reduced?

Hornet-Fez likes this.
  6. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

All the very best Fez.....

Hornet-Fez likes this.
  7. Mexican Hornet

Buena suerte Mr&MrsFez.

Hornet-Fez likes this.
  8. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

All the best to her with that. Not the ideal way to celebrate a festive season, but when needs must...

Hornet-Fez likes this.
  9. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Honed, like a fine scalpel I should think...:emoticon-0107-sweat<laugh>

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Grey and cold out there today, 4°C. Just popped out to get some bread from the machine and it took rather longer than expected. Firstly cattle are being taken to a new field along the main road. Nothing to do but sit and wait. Get to bread machine and elderly gent is already there. He starts to see what is left, then returns to his car to get his glasses. Returns, but then goes back to the car to get his mask. All set I think as he decides what he wants, but no, he goes back to the car to get his purse. Finally after digging deep he inserts money and get his baguette. Back to car, so I can now go and see what is left. Wrong, he is back again to collect his change. Never mind, I am not in a rush. Have a good day everyone. <ok>

andytoprankin and Bolton's Boots like this.

11. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

I know some shoppers in our nearest Tesco who have been taking lessons from him...

12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Sun blazing down from a clear blue sky, but we had the first frost of the season overnight. That means that the geraniums along the front of the house will have to be taken in to one of the outhouses to overwinter. They are still in full flower and are protected to some degree by the heat that builds up in the stone wall during the day, but if we want to keep them until Spring they do have to go undercover. Some of them must be quite old now as we only replace one or two each year when they get too straggly. Last winter was very mild, we only needed the greenhouse heater for a few nights. I wonder what we will get this time round? Have a good three points day everyone. <ok>

13. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Everything crossed x4 (me, Mrs, M and S) for Mrs Fez and you. <hug>

Hornet-Fez and duggie2000 like this.
  14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright and sunny and no sign of frost overnight, but it is chilly. I was reminded that today is known as Stirring or Stir Up Sunday. As a youngster I would be called into the kitchen to stir the Christmas pudding mixture before it was dispensed into the china bowls, covered with greased paper, most likely butter wrappers, then a cloth tied around the top. Just one of the old traditions that probably died out as supermarkets started to sell ready made ones. The original mince pies were pretty horrible, nothing like the sweet mixture in them today. I am glad that the recipe for them has changed. Have a good stirring Sunday. <ok>

15. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Another lovely Autumn morning with a cloudless blue sky and no wind. A sloppy goal given away in the first half, and Chateauroux looked as if they played until Christmas, despite the pressure they wouldn't score. The board went up to say 3 added minutes, but if there had been fans there they would have drifted away by then. 90" + 1" and somehow a shot was turned in. A draw was better than a loss I thought, but then 90" + 3" and a big deflection off a defender and they were 2-1 ahead. It just goes to prove that you should never leave a game before the final whistle. Have a good day whatever you are doing. <ok>

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright and sunny, no rain, and expected to warm up this afternoon. Off to do the weekly shop today. Changed from a Friday as it is very quiet in the supermarkets, meaning a quick wizz round, then get out. In a bid to save the world and a tree I took to filling out my permit with pencil, and changing the date and time. I think I will have to print a new one today as the rubber has removed the paper as well as the lead. Lots of displays in the supermarkets have been roped off as only essential items such as food and drink can be sold. Will it change tonight? Wait and see what happens, but the permit to travel is likely to remain according to the speculation. Have a good day whatever you are doing. <ok>

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright and sunny and the temperature has risen overnight having moved some of Mme's more tender plants into the greenhouse. She will want them out again now. Clutch on the car was starting to slip when going uphill, so thought it prudent to find out the cost of replacing it. Went to my local very helpful garage for an estimate, which I received yesterday. Enough to make the eyes water, but cheaper than a new car. Checked out the price with the local Renault dealer and their price was 50% higher. My regular man has the job, even if he cannot start it for 10 days. Have a good day whatever you must do. <ok>

18. Mexican Hornet

Another day, another chance for this team to shake of the recent drab performances.

Or have we just found our level?

Anyways, buenos dias a todos!

19. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. A lovely morning to be out and about. We have several buddleias of different colours that need pruning right back as they have grown too tall and will get broken off when we have some high winds. I have brought my shredder back from the fields and will put the cut branches through that to make some mulch. Spread that around now and over winter it should get taken down into the soil a bit as well as keep on top of some of the weeds that keep growing no matter what the weather. Have a good day. <ok>

20. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Rather more cloud around today than we have seen recently, but no wind and very mild. My shredder was really put through its paces yesterday after a bit of attention with the WD40. Great invention that, and the best method I have found for removing chewing gum from the sole of your shoe. The shredder is a domestic one that I must have bought thirty years ago when we only had a small garden. Today I really could do with an industrial one, but not at the price they are. So back to the slow process of feeding my prunings through it, hoping that it can continue until the current mound is chopped up. Have a very good day whatever you might attempt. <ok>