1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canary Dave

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Just realised that the internationals are here again so no Watford games until the 21st of November. I guess that is a good thing as the players that aren't away can have a rest. Despite being in a good position I've not reallly been overly impressed with the performances this season so far. I can't grumble too much given relegation and a new manger and a newish starting 11.

COVID is still here, there has never been extensive testing here nor a fully enforced lockdown. But, things seem okish, however, we don't really know. On with the show with temp checks, masks and gel everywhere (that are recommended) whilst bars, resturants etc are operating to 30 to 50% capacity. Mexico can't fully shut, it'll kill many off econimically who live hand to mouth.

Thinking about the coast after Xmas with the in-laws then scurry away until NYE. Been too long not feeling the peace & warmth of the Pacifico and it is getting a bit colder here at night as it is "winter" here. Fishing is best around Nov - Jan & June - August, so will take my chances out on a panga a couple of days going for the Tuna, Dorado and Billfish if things work out. I always go with the same guy, he's a top captain / pirate.

Hope everyone's good like.

2. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Enjoy Mex... and keep safe...

Dorado sounds very appealing...... grilled over a few logs.....

3. Mexican Hornet

There have been a lot of rains, which in turn fills the rivers flushes out debri into the ocean. A friend of mine went fishing a few days ago and they got 46 (fourty six) in a day. Trolling around three massive trees where the Dorado like to find their easy food. Once, I was out trolling with a friend and we found a cow out at sea due to being washed out, So we came back with a few fish and a knackered cow tied up at the back of the boat. Very random.

La niña is starting here, wichi might develop into a stronger El niño system. Thet'll impact the currents a bit, but, ATM season over Nov - Jan seems to be producing on the coast in Guerrero.

andytoprankin likes this.
  4. yorkshirehornet

s the 12th
    Did you eat the cow???

5. Mexican Hornet

Think the Captian gave it to some Ranchero to find its owner. People at the pier when we came back were a bit more bemused that the poor cow!

6. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all. A lovely Autumn morning on this Armistice 1918 day. The flowers that people wear here are blue cornflowers rather than the red poppies in the UK. The ceremony at the tomb of the unknown soldier has been scaled down to a minimum, and it is so very odd to see a deserted Paris. The laying of a wreath at our village memorial has taken place, as it will have done up and down every small community across the country. I wonder if things will be more normal this time next year? Have a good day everyone. <ok>

7. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Odd that they should wear blue cornflowers, given that it was a Frenchwoman, Madame Guérin, who introduced the poppy as a Remembrance symbol to the UK.

8. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Yes, but being French they did have to be different I suppose. Although monies are still needed to support injured servicemen, there is not the mass selling of them as for the poppies. A special €2 coin was issued in 2018 to mark 100 years since the end of WWI.

please log in to view this image

9. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

10. Bolton's Boots

11. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Grey and damp this morning, so can forget the great outdoors. I did get and feed my cabbages yesterday, so a spot of rain will help to water that in. So Mme requires a hand with reorganizing her store cupboard as some of the boxes are pretty large. I am sure that some of them contain things brought from England 17 years ago that have not seen the light of day since, but am told that they might be needed one day. I have a barn full of things that could be useful one day, so do not say too much about her store. Have a good day one and all. <ok>

12. yorkshirehornet

Thank goodness you have barn!!!!

13. Mexican Hornet

Long weekend coming up here, the 5th and final bank holiday of the year (not including the Thurs/Fri for Easter or 25th Dec and 1st Jan off) We get a raw deal for annual public holidays here.

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Sunshine and cloud in this part of France today. Just returned from the recycling centre having disposed of a large collection of cardboard boxes. Mme's turn out of her store cupboard has been quite a useful exercise as she has found boxes that really are beyond having any useful purpose. The recycling centre that normally has a collection of locals having a gossip was deserted, and the young guy making sure that things are put in the right bins seemed quite pleased to have someone turn up. My stay was very short so I didn't stop him from closing the gates after me and popping off for his two hour lunch break. Have a good day whatever you are doing. <ok>

15. yorkshirehornet

Good day... currently attempting to go through hundreds of slides from my childhood through to my travels in the Himalaya...... exhausting ...as each slide has a memory..... and who were those odd grown up people from my childhood years???

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Lovely sunny morning, warm in the sun, but quite a chilly breeze in the shade. Granddaughter with mother came over this morning to deliver some apples which will be very nice to bake. I did see some figures this week showing that Italy buys 12% of factory produced food, France 14%, and the UK 50%. Quite a difference, that is reflected in the obesity rankings around the world. Italy comes in at 107, France at 87 and the UK at 36. For interest New Zealand is 22, Australia 27, Mexico 29 and Germany 79. Have a healthy eating day everyone. <ok>

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Very windy here today, with rain forecast for the afternoon. Managed to clear and cut the path to the field yesterday, but the grass was very long and wet underneath. Not a very good finish, but it has made it better to walk along. One of my apple trees has died and partly collapsed across the main entrance to the fields. It must have been very old and never produced many fruits. I will cut it back to the trunk and see if it does send out new shoots, but the bulk of it will get logged up. Have a good day whatever you must do. <ok>

18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. There was a lot of cloud about first thing, but that has vanished leaving us with plenty of blue sky. The mobile butcher, he no longer stops here, has been past, but that is the only sign that people are still around. It is very strange to go outside and not get a cheery wave, but the stay at home orders are certainly being observed here. Have a good day wherever you are. <ok>

19. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. A really beautiful Autumn morning, lots of sun reflecting off the colours of the remaining leaves on the trees. The camellia just outside the kitchen doors has two of many buds beginning to open, displaying the pink flowers that are almost wax like. It is a Spring flowering shrub that seems confused. I have also noticed that some of the hedgerows that were cut back a month or two ago are showing fresh growth with leaves that are Springlike in their colour. The seasons seem to be getting very mixed up. Have a good day. <ok>

20. Bolton's Boots

Some plants do indeed seem confused. I have a large hardy fuchsia which is doing the right thing - flowers all gone and leaves all well on the way to following them, yet a couple of hybrid fuchsias I have planted either side of a shed door have suddenly sprung into life and just started flowering. At the end of October I cut back all my raspberry canes as they had become fruitless and leaveless - yesterday I noticed that they have sprouted again. On the weekend, I found that a creeper I had positioned to climb up a trellis but had stubbornly refused to do so, was now half way up the trellis and on the verge of flowering. No such confusion for me - am staying indoors with a large pot of coffee and a good book. Even Tess the dog won't go out for a walk...