1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canary Dave

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

That seems to be a common problem - Skye has been inundated with motorhomes over the last couple of weeks, and locals on the North Coast 500 scenic route are starting to think the route wasn't named after the distance, but the number of motorhomes that can be counted at any one point in time.

2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all. Grey and breezy but very mild here today. Not sure where the morning has gone, just doing some of the little things. I can tell that Autumn is just about with us as the cranes have been overhead migrating south to their Winter quarters. They seem to be on the move earlier this year, so I hope it is not a sign that the weather will be bad. Have a good day whatever you are doing. <ok>

3. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Changeable is the best way to describe the weather today. Bright sunshine currently, but showers expected this afternoon. A trip to the baker, with mask and permit of course, then some work to do on a spare chainsaw that I have. Neither I or my tree surgeon son in law could work out what was wrong with it, so he took it back to England and found someone with the same model. That one had the same problem until a washer was filed down to make a better fit, and it worked. Enjoy your day whatever you will be doing. <ok>

4. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Showers forecast, but we have a downpour currently. How many times zones are there in America I wondered knowing that the results get called on the east coast before they have finished voting on the west coast. If you look it up you may well be none the wiser about how some states get by with parts being in one zone and others in a different one. Then you find out that some use daylight saving, while others in the same state don't. I suppose if they can manage then it should be possible for Aberdeen to set their clocks differently to Portsmouth. Have a good day whatever the time. <ok>

5. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

There's no need for Aberdeen to set clocks differently at all - in summer we have the benefit of around 20 hours of daylight per day whilst in winter it's almost the opposite, so one hour makes little difference for anyone. I don't know about Portsmouth though - I've only ever been there twice. Once to watch Watford play and once to play rugby league.

Similar story in Oz too - the northern half of the country mostly don't want daylight saving as it's so hot that the cool of night can't come quickly enough...

6. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I only picked Portsmouth because there was some comment just before the clocks changed that the people there would prefer to stay with BST all year as they liked the lighter evenings.

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. A lovely blue sky, little wind, but the sun has not warmed things up just yet. In my morning flip through news items in the press you do sometimes find a matter that surprises. With all the jokes that go on about humble vegetables that make up a Christmas dinner, I did see that in a poll the Brussels Sprout is the most popular green vegetable in the UK, followed by broccoli with peas a distant third. In France the sprout was quite rare 10-15 years ago, but that has changed, and you find plants in the garden centres and plenty on sale in the supermarkets. Have a good day whatever is on your plate. <ok>

8. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Morning all...... a hint of frost here last night. A rush tro cover and bring in a number of plants overnight..... All to be put to bed this weekend.
    We appear to have sold here... and planning to move after Xmas to something MUCH smaller.....

9. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright and breezy in rural France, and everywhere very quiet in this hamlet. The home help has arrived to spend the morning with our elderly resident, as she always likes to have her home spick and span when she has visitors. I doubt that a day goes by without someone popping in to see if she is alright or needs something from the shops. A younger neighbour was off to the shops just about every other day, but the lockdown has stopped that, and she is into the weekly shop pattern again. I wonder how long it will take after the restrictions are removed for her to start her frequent trips out? Have a good and safe day. <ok>

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Lovely morning and it is warming up. Bread machine on the blink again with quite a gathering of folks waiting for the baker to turn up and sort it out. Didn't wait as he is a good twenty minutes away so went to supermarket. On my return the people were still waiting, but having a good gossip. All stood well apart I would add. Off to the fields now, so have a good day. <ok>

11. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Grey with showers forecast for this afternoon, so will have an excuse for watching football. The green lane that I use to walk along to my fields really could do with a cut as the grass has grown very long. There are a lot of fallen branches on it after the strong winds that we had, and it has become very uneven because of the quad bikes that insist on using it as a short cut. Not much I can do about them, although I do feel tempted to dig a bear trap for them. Have a good day, and another three points please. <ok>

12. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

Now here's a thing. My laser-blasted eyes are much better, although one seems better than the other. but now it seems I have a new condition , involving rods , cones and replacement cells that aren't pushing old ones away properly. The effect is that straight lines have kinks in them as viewed by me. No cure, but what improves the situation is lutein. i.e. kale, broccoli, spinach and blueberries. weird (but cheap!) Added to the fact that the pain behind my eye is removed by
    Pilates session and I am saving the NHS a fortune!

13. yorkshirehornet

I am taking Lutein supplements... i have a bit of macular degeneration in one eye....

14. yorkshirehornet

15. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Sunshine and showers here today at the moment, but warm and dry this afternoon they forecast. Have we really reverted back into a GT side? Score one more goal than the opposition and collect the three points. I must say that all the talk about us having the best players and squad in the division makes me nervous when I see basic errors each game. Until we get fans back, which maybe will be a long time yet, then it seems difficult to work out are we good, or nothing out of the ordinary. Still happy enough to be where we are at present. Have a good day whatever you must do. <ok>

16. yorkshirehornet

Morning....
    Interesting to read Ivics post match thoughts..... he seems very sussed and clealry works psychologically with the team.... and we bounced back as a unit.......

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright and breezy, but comfortably warm here today. Yesterday I sat down with a pull switch that operates one of our showers. For some reason it had jammed, so thinking it would only be a quick job to fix it I took it down and opened it up. Big mistake as a collection of brass bridging pieces, connectors and springs fell out before I had chance to see where they were supposed to be.Having worked out how it was intended to be put together I wasn't sure if the bridging pieces should be be on top, or underneath the connectors. Several tries later, with bits falling out again it finally went back together and worked. Sometimes you find a five minute job turns into a couple of hours which mucks up what you had really intended to do. Never mind, the repair shop has triumphed again. Have a good day whatever you are doing. <ok>

Hornet-Fez likes this.
  18. yorkshirehornet

Mlle and I unblocked the kitchen sink a few years back.... we disconnected both sinks and cleaned ten years of sludge.... and then put it all back together..... sadly we had forgotten how.... and there was always a bit that didnt go... so we had to own up when mme came back and she worked it all out..... the shame of it!

19. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Morning all. Bright, sunny and very mild, although we clearly had a little rain overnight. I keep getting adverts in my e-mail to tell me that fibre broadband is on its way to me. Being in the middle of nowhere I ignore it. On my trip to the bread machine this morning I found signs in place to tell me that the roads would be closed at the end of the month to install fibre cables. If they really are installing it now in the outlying villages perhaps I should read my e-mails. They have been installing it for what seems like months in the "big" town, population 6,000, but thinking about it it could be easier in the sticks that do not have pavements and street furniture. Have a good day whatever you must do. <ok>

20. yorkshirehornet

Fibre broadband in deep rural France.... wow!