1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Canadian Grand Prix Chat & Predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Big Ern, Jun 3, 2019.

?

Who will get the glory

Poll closed Jun 8, 2019.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

85.7%
  2. Valtieri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sebastian Vettel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Charlie

7.1%
  5. Max Verstappen

7.1%
  6. Lando Norris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Sergio Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. A N Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Jaques is still to this day an attention seeking twat imho .

2. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Some merit in that but I haven't examined the footage frame by frame. I remember Schumacher going off and knowingly was going to be out deliberately coming back on to bump into Damon Hill, Damon retiring in the following lap or two with car damage. It was a championship deciding moment. We don't want a repeat of those events. It was Lewis's quick reactions that prevented them both crashing.
    If Seb was out of control, as he claims, he impeded another car. Just get over it Ferrari, your lead driver screwed up yet again when under pressure. I believe he is paid 30m, another bad decision. His petulant behaviour destroyed any credible claim, no other driver I know would behave like that. None! Honestly, I think he should be reprimanded for his post race petulance.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  3. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/143996/vettel-steering-inputs-key-to-fia-penalty-decision

"The stewards examined slow motion footage of Vettel's actions from the moment that he had regained control and started steering his car - and felt the evidence showed that he could have made different choices that would have been within the rules.

The footage clearly captures Vettel correcting an oversteer moment as he rejoins the track - which is shown by a sharp steering wheel movement to the right.

Shortly after that, Vettel has sorted the oversteer and begins steering to the left to follow the direction of the circuit - suggesting he is now under control.

But a split moment later, rather than keeping to the left, Vettel is shown to release the steering wheel - which allows his car to drift to the right, cutting off the route that Hamilton would have taken had he had clear space."

ched999uk, dhel and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  4. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Actually Vettel said he knew where Lewis was and it was Lewis fault because Lewis should have gone yo the left and he would have been able to overtake....Lol that is the biggest piece of crap I've ever heard... If Lewis had gone left they would have crashed for sure... Lewis would have had to be an idiot to even attempt going left with Vettel coming back onto the track wildly. And why was Vettel still going right in the direction of the wall if as he claimed he saw Lewis? Vettel needs to look at himself and stop blaming others for his mistakes that are hitting Ferrari. He made two mistakes.. One that took him to the grass and the other was a case of judgement... He saw Lewis but continued to go right pushing Lewis to the wall. I hate that he didn't win the race too but should the officials risk the lives of drivers to make the race more interesting? I wonder... Vettel needs to cut out the mistakes. This is like the 4th time he buckled when in the lead and being chased by Lewis.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  5. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

But...what if Lewis had kept his foot in like Vettel and continued on the racing line? Maybe both would be looking on from hospital bed. You cant claim you saw Lewis and still continue to steer right towards the wall....that's where Vettel got his penalty.
    I would have preffered that Vettel had won without the off and penalty but he made a stupid mistake...how did he end up on the grass? Not paying attention maybe?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  6. Quagmireuk

Quagmireuk Active Member

A valid opinion however...

No where in the rules does it state that there has to be any intent. So although Vettel didn't intend to impede and had no control at the time of the offence it was still his own actions prior that had caused the situation.
    That's why in my opinion the ruling is 100% correct.

7. Quagmireuk

Quagmireuk Active Member

Also a quick one to everyone here..

I'd left to the reddit forum but I'll be back in here after reading good honest debate regarding this issue and differing opinions with solid reasons given .. Reddit forum has turned to absolute **** lately.

I look forward to our conversing throughout the season guys!

8. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Max deliberatley hits people to stop them passing and never gets a penalty. In fact, IIRC, he also skipped a fair few chicanes to stop threats, but I can't recall him ever being given a penalty for it, and he's the most petulant twat out there.
    No one in m otorsport thinks it a penalty other than the stewards

9. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

They both kept it out of the wall and didn't touch, so it just feels like a bit of a racing incident. If you take the black and white of the rule, then yes it's an absolute penalty, but it was the heat of battle, it was a mistake and everyone came out unscathed.

Vettel should be angry at himself though. He put himself in this position and gave the stewards a decision to make.

10. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

I think very good points have been raised on both sides and I fully get this, yours here.
    My position is not that the penalty was wrong or right; rather, that in this instance, it might have been overlooked.

I also agree with the findings of the investigation that Vettel made a conscious decision to 'go with the flow' rather than make an effort to leave a car's width.

There is one important common denominator to this incident - one which unites almost every single response in this thread and one which reverberates amongst the whole community: racers, pundits, commentators, journalists and onlookers alike.

Coming under immense pressure, Vettel made a critical driving error.

dhel likes this.

11. Quagmireuk

Quagmireuk Active Member

Perfectly fine points perfectly put.

For these rules though I don't agree they should be subjective and in essence are black or white... You did or you didn't.

I thought immediately yesterday that although he didn't turn right after controlling the car he allowed the car to drift because of the slight curvature of the track which is what took the space away from Hamilton.

The Stewards released their findings and this is the defining fact that made the decision enforceable and correct.

Oh and again It's a position of only Vettels doing and although emotions were high yesterday.. I felt he was very petulant.. Don't get me wrong I understand and would likely be similar but hopefully behind closed doors he can reflect on his behaviours and accept some responsibility... Unlike some previous situations with him.

dhel likes this.
  12. cosicave

I fully get your point, Quag.

13. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Most people seem to agree that the penalty was correct by the letter of the law. We have also seen many calls on this forum for consistancy in applying penalties. So if we allow stewards to decide whether to apply penalties according to what impact it might have on a race or championship or whether they feel there was intent, where will the consistancy come from?

pieguts, Quagmireuk, dhel and 3 others like this.
  14. cosicave

Yes. Perfect.

15. Justjazz

It is the footage we haven't had access too but is alluded to in the Stewards report. Also, the fact that the stewards were unanimous in the decision persuades me there is clear evidence of his action of squeezing Lewis. Lewis did brake. We repeatedly see Seb making unforced errors and the red mist coming down. It is a massive floor in his character and is costing Ferrari. Two seasons ago I was really warming towards Seb, I would say till the Baku incident. I am not a single driver fan, I am a fan of good fun racing. I am disappointed with Seb, he has talent, 99% of the time is decent but time and time again...

dhel and ched999uk like this.
  16. Justjazz

It is time to revisit the concept of professional stewards, the same at each race. Only then will there be consistency.

17. Number 1 Jasper

No , sorry .

That fact that driver A has not had penalties , is no reason NOT to give them to Driver B .

18. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Plus publish the footage and telemetry. That way we would have a better understanding of why the decision went the way it did.

19. Number 1 Jasper

20. Quagmireuk

Quagmireuk Active Member

Good content and pretty much my thoughts from the beginning.