1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Bristol City Itch.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Feb 16, 2018.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

City itching to put things right - McAllister
    Friday, February 16th 2018

City know exactly where there went wrong last weekend and are "desperate" to make amends at Leeds United, says Jamie McAllister.

They let slip a 3-0 half-time lead against Sunderland last Saturday, with the Black Cats fighting to secure a draw at Ashton Gate.

The hours have gone in at the training ground this week, as the Robins look for ways to put things right when they take on Leeds United in the Sky Bet Championship on Sunday (February 18th, 4.30pm kick-off).

The Whites currently sit 11th, eight points and five league places behind City.

Reflecting on the weekend's draw, assistant head coach McAllister told BCTV: "It was tough to take after the game. Everyone was very disappointed after being 3-0 ahead, we looked comfortable to win the game. To lose three goals to finish 3-3 was very disappointing.

"We reviewed the game video on Monday with the players and they gave good feedback. I watched it back on Saturday and Sunday but we shared the same views on what we could have done better.

"It’s good everyone is on the same page. We spoke about how we can put things right and not make those mistakes again.

"Training has since been excellent, the boys’ attitude has been excellent and they are desperate to get back on the pitch and get the three points on Sunday."

WE MUST GET ON THE FRONT FOOT
    Leeds ran out winners at the Gate in the reverse fixture, but they are currently eight games without victory and have a new manager in former Barnsley boss, Paul Heckingbottom.

And former City defender McAllister says the squad can take advantage of their host's situation.

"They started the season very well and were a top-six side but they have struggled in their last eight games," McAllister said.

"Paul makes his first home game on Sunday so we need to silence their crowd early on and start well.

"They are a good side with good players. They are fluid going forward, they have good wide players in (Pablo) Hernandez and (Ezgjan) Alioski and a physical threat up top in (Pierre-Michel) Lasogga. (Adam) Forshaw is a good player, (Kalvin) Phillips and (Eunan) O'Kane in the middle of the park are good players, so it will be a tough game."

KEY MEN MISSING
    Nathan Baker will serve the last of his three-game suspension for City, while Leeds will play without the likes of Samuel Saiz, Gaetano Berardi and Liam Cooper - all suspended.

When asked if that could give City an edge on Sunday, McAllister replied: "Yes, they have a few suspensions. We have injuries and a suspension as well but it is all about Sunday.

"It’s 11v11 on the pitch; who turns up and who makes fewer errors...we are confident our group can cause them problems.

"(Stuart) Dallas could play right-back for them, who is not a natural full-back, so they have a change there but they have signed good players in the transfer window and they have quality across their team."
    https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-itching-to-put-things-right-mcallister/

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I think we could win this one and we must start to assert ourselves again - 2-0 to the City.

3. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

I want some of what you're having wizered. 1-1 draw at best for us I reckon. We will certainly turn the corner, but it never happens at Leeds for us.

4. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I hate whenever that stats of 'such and such hasn't won somewhere since 1986' or whatever - like how two sets of players from decades ago did will have a bearing on how the current batches do. Maybe we have a bad record at Leeds because historically they usually have had good teams?!

I'm going for a loss, just because I've felt a bit winded by our results recently. I'm concerned by the mental state of our players - not in terms of attitude to training hard, but having the focus required when the going gets tough late on in games. The last two games have both been sickeners, where we would've been expected to win - hopefully by being the underdogs again, we can actually play to our potential and get a result.

Looking forward to having both Baker and Pisano available soon. O'Dowda was playing well before getting injured too...

manxrobin and Red Robin like this.
  5. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

My instinct is saying we will bounce back and get a win here. I know history etc is against us and it may well be wishful thinking, but its just a gut feeling.

6. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Hoping your gut is right... winning this could be a big confidence boost to get out of this rut.

7. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

These 2 comments fom JM make me think we might get back to winning ways ~

* City know exactly where there went wrong last weekend and are "desperate" to make amends at Leeds United, says Jamie McAllister.
    * "Training has since been excellent, the boys’ attitude has been excellent and they are desperate to get back on the pitch and get the three points on Sunday."

If there is one thing I have learnt from last season is you have got to have confidence and belief in what your management tells you.I am starting to apply mine, I hope it works.

8. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Settle down <laugh> I was talking from my gut feeling not from any statistical significance between past results.

9. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I know - but a lot of people do seem to buy into stats like that.

10. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Hoping we will return to winning ways , 2-1 City

11. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I agree there is no science at all in this - but there are some powerful mind games going on - because it DOES exist.
    It took YEARS to break our Forest hoodoo - and we have one with Preston now - and Birmingham - we never seem to beat those teams irrespective of comparative league position or current form.
    Although we HAVE beaten Leeds recently, the trend is certainly against us - and they beat us at our place when we were flying high and they were crap - I didn't go to that game but a mate of mine did and he said we were unbelievably awful that day - must have been the hoodoo...!!!!!

It's probably a similar mental state which suggests that both winning and losing are habits.

12. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Despite the rallying call I really cant see anything but a home win or a draw at best.

They have a new Manager who lost his first game in charge and I'm sure he'll want to put that right.

13. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

We have managed to lay a couple of "ghosts down" re BCRW comments
    there is somethings that are always without reason ! one of my posts recently was I had the feeling we always did bad against lower teams... even when we were at different ends of the table1! reality is we don't... as for bogey teams much the same lines, odd one or 2 might be the case because we don't play them everyseason and when we do are in a bad patch or they hit a purple patch on the day because they have previously always seemed to do well! mind games

14. AshtonRed

We're a young team with a young manager , there will be games when we get it wrong , being in the spotlight playing well against both Manchester teams has meant that teams now take us more seriously, we can no longer take teams by surprise, it's actually a compliment but now teams know how to play us , which in turn means we have to adapt.
    Along with a loss of confidence , injuries to key players and the suspension of Baker have all taken their toll, hopefully it's all good experience and we can learn from it ,
    The last few games Lee has made a few tactical errors too, but has been big enough to admit to them, and we must remember he's young as well and still learning his trade.
    I for one am still really excited by what we've achieved this season and there is still time , if we all stick together to push on , and if we don't then this season will still have been amazing, so let's not forget where we were this time last season and how much we've progressed since.
    So why don't some of us stop being so negative .

manxrobin and banksyisourhero like this.
  15. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

There's no doubt that against pre-season expectations we're still having a great season, but having got ourselves into such a position, it would be gutting if we missed out on such a golden opportunity to reach the playoffs at least.

I'm confident we'll find some form again; it's just a question of how good it stacks up against our rivals.

Supcon72 and AshtonRed like this.
  16. banksyisourhero

I agree with you Ashton, but I think Lee has been sorely treated regarding this, he did take the blame away from his players by stating he should have shut up shop, but for me its all hindsight, I bet there wasn't a single person in the ground at half time with us being 3-0 up not saying this could be 6 or 7 today.. they certainly ALL were by me, we did need to get the goal deficit back up and it looked a perfect opportunity to do that, get a new striker off the mark and get a massively confidence boosting win. sometimes it goes wrong and it did that day spectacularly.

BCFCRob and Supcon72 like this.
  17. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

I certainly did1 thought it might be at least 4-0 or maybe 5 or 6 -1... WITH MINUTES TO GO oh no WE ARE GOING TO SCREW IT .... well we did ... could have been 5th and GD in double figures ......

18. AshtonRed

Then I must have been the only one , they were so bad in the first half I thought they'd have had a roasting at half time and come out second half on a charge , worried we'd be overconfident .
    In the circumstances with Reid taking a knock don't criticise him for the changes at half time, but second half they bossed things in my opinion and we were slow to change things , thought Lee summed it up perfectly In his after game interview, which encouraged me tbh, so not hindsight for me I was shouting for him to tighten up even before the first goal. To me the main difference between how we played in our winning period & now is our ability to manage games, we had no need to go gung ho for a fourth goal, we could have sat back a bit and hit them on the counter,

19. banksyisourhero

Your certainly not the only person I have heard say that but many were after the game, and I will take your comment for what it is. but around me the vast majority were looking for a rout?

20. AshtonRed

Don't get me wrong though , whilst I think Lee has got it wrong a couple of times lately I'm not criticising him , what he's achieved this past year is miraculous, he's well in credit.