1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The breakfast debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jan 3, 2014.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning Peeps,

How are we,

Is it me, or are things a bit flat at the moment. Couldn't agree more.

The completion of the takeover has gone quiet.....

No, more quiet then that..

please log in to view this image

That's better...

I think the empty promises of years gone by is making us cynical. Agree?

I think if Haigh and Co were to give us updates with the state of play, we would all feel a lot better about things. Agree?

Its all well and fine McDermott finding his January targets, but will we be allowed to sign the players before the finalization of the takeover?

Well, according to the YEP this morning 'the wait to complete their buy-out would not hamper transfer dealings at Elland Road'

It has also emerged that that Haigh, Flowers and Co have invested 6 million pounds, though it stops short of confirming this money has been put aside for transfers.

The only negative is that the football league have asked for 'additional documentation' in relation to the takeover.

How much longer will this hold things up?

Is anyone getting excited about the Rochdale match?

Who would you like to see start? Dawson, Lenighan, Taylor, Cairns?

Should any of our first team start?

2. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning Elland and all.
    Was reading the following this morning. Does the article alleviate worries re takeover or create more. Lots of money going into club but not much appearing as proper new player investment
    "ALSO - YEP

http://www.yorkshire...sfers-1-6348807

The consortium behind the takeover of Leeds United insisted last night that the wait to complete their buy-out would not hamper transfer dealings at Elland Road as it emerged that the group have already invested around £6m in the club.

A source close to the four-man consortium – a group which includes United managing director David Haigh and Enterprise Insurance chairman Andrew Flowers – said Football League approval of their buy-out was still to be granted after the governing body asked for “additional documentation” relating to the bid.
    The purchase of a 75 per cent stake from current Leeds owner GFH Capital was originally due to be finalised before the January transfer window but the takeover has run into the new year, raising concerns about possible implications for manager Brian McDermott.
    The Leeds boss, whose team are eighth in the Championship after two draws and two defeats from their past four games, asked United’s board for four new signings last week and has spoken repeatedly of the importance of securing new players after a spate of poor results and tired displays against Nottingham Forest and Blackburn Rovers.
    McDermott met with Haigh at Elland Road on Wednesday and received fresh assurances about the funds available to him. Those involved in the takeover say money is being offered to McDermott regardless of the wait for completion and claim the incoming consortium are already exerting influence having put some £6m into Leeds before the turn of the year.
    Their deal to purchase the club is now expected to be sealed midway through this month, with further indications last night that Football League approval – a requirement for all takeovers – is the sole remaining obstacle.
    The legal team representing Haigh and the other buyers will resume work after the Christmas break on Monday. A share acquisition agreement was first reached with GFH Capital on November 30.
    The source told the YEP: “The Football League requested additional documentation which has been supplied. This is an on-going process.
    “They (Haigh’s consortium) are working towards a conclusion but it won’t affect the January transfer window. As Brian has said, the new investors will be fully supporting him in January.”
    The £6m figure includes two personal payments made by Haigh to Leeds in the past three months.
    The 36-year-old sanctioned a six-figure loan from Dubai-based Berrydale Seventh Sport Holdings in October and another sum in excess of £1m in November through Sport Capital, a company set up in England.
    Both amounts are believed to have been used to pay operating costs at Elland Road, including wages, and the consortium are now indicating that a further £4m has been put forward by the individuals involved, of which only Haigh and Flowers have been identified.
    The lifelong Leeds supporter has been a senior executive at Enterprise Insurance since 2004 and was behind the deal which saw Enterprise become United’s primary shirt sponsor in 2011. The firm renewed the agreement earlier this year.
    GFH Capital, which bought United from Ken Bates in December 2012, is set to retain a small shareholding once Haigh’s group secure control but is unlikely to be heavily involved in the future running of Leeds.
    Haigh will remain as managing director and Salah Nooruddin – another minority shareholder – is to continue as club chairman.
    But attention continues to focus heavily on United’s work in the transfer market with the club’s push for a play-off place seemingly dependent on immediate investment in their squad.
    Cameron Stewart, the Hull City winger who has been on-loan at Charlton Athletic, is one of McDermott’s key targets.
    Talking after a 2-1 defeat to Blackburn on Wednesday, McDermott said: “We’re squeezing everything out of the players here and they’re doing what they can but it’s time now to bring in some new players to freshen the squad and help those who are here.
    “I’ve spoken to someone already and it would be good if we can do that. I’ve had another good conversation with David Haigh.
    “The board are doing their best and the club are in the best position we’ve been in for a few years.”

3. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Morning Elland. Let me be the first to say that as there aren't too many people on here yet, it isn't a mass debate

4. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Eire, Morning Boggers,

It a breakfast debate. Its not a mass debate til the Wall lads arrive <ok>

5. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

'tis true then Elland. The 'wall lads often spend their time on mass debating sessions!!!

6. ellandback

Forum Moderator

They're very talented at it...

7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Morning all <ok> Lets hope it is a debate because I feel like a rant after recent results.

FL - additional data - no surprises for me as it does smell a little. Firstly 12-months ago a potential buyer for the club is aided by GFH Capital. Potential buyer pulls out of the deal. GFH decide to go it alone but struggle for funds. GFH take over the club but whilst trying to stabalise the ship they run short of money and advertise for investors. SN buys a majority shareholding from GFH Capital. DH puts to gether another takeover bid along with some investors. DH banrolls the club out of his funds ....... Fooking soap opera and whatever is going on may be legal but FL correct to try and get a handle on just what the hell is going on.

I don't think DH can give any updates as he will be just as much in the dark. Its Xmas and FL and lawyers hibernate until next week, and would imagine by the end of next week we should know more and indeed it could be done next week.

IF BMcD wants to do the deals early as he says, he can do them. So if no deals get done by this time next week, we can say that either the players involved are hanging on waiting to see if other offers are coming in - if thats the case they can fook off for me. Or it means the players are not wanting to come or the other club won't allow it or want too much.

All the while that we are messing around, our big oponents in this league will be bringing fresh blood in to bolster their push. We are as usual in danger of turning up to the wedding late. Not holding out much hope this season of a play-off spot anymore. And if the takeover goes sour and falls through, or thenew people are only in it for themselves and don't have cash to invest, then you can forget next season too. In fact we can forget ever going up

8. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

You little ray of sunshine Doc

Have to agree it does seem to go on and on, and one thing has remained constant: whoever is the owner/attempting to become the owner - we keep being given expectations that then do not materialise. As I am gullible enough to believe anything posted on an internet site, I now believe that
    a) new prospective owners have put in cash
    b) some is to pay for working capital (worrying, that - why do Leeds need more working capital?) but a big chunk (allegedly £4m) is for the January transfer window
    c) the takeover is imminent and will be by people with the requisite funds (even if the FL are asking more questions................)
    d) BM has identified 4 positions he must fill and we will fill them in Jan with players he has identified

So, 2014 could start off a very disappointing year inn the Vision household.

9. Mightywhite

Mightywhite New Member

Hi I don't think we can get quality players in this transfer window. ( 1) we won't have the money it will cost to get the quality player in (2) the club will not pay quality players wage and the players will end up to club that pays

10. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

I think the trouble lies with the lies we were told by BATES so we become very sceptical about any promises made so lets hope all the players he wants haven't been snapped up by Derby Notts F Qpr Huddersfield T even and Burnley really that's how low we have got when we are worried about Town and Burnley!

11. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

Almost Forgot good morning to all from sunny Bardsey

12. Mightywhite

Mightywhite New Member

Hi there don't forget just because bm identified players he wants dose not mean he will be able to afford to buy them don't forget it is a auction and the quality players that bm is after could end up out of our reach in the bidding war plus wage demand

13. Eireleeds1

The issue I have is a month ago the takeover was sorted and finances were known. A month ago McD knew or should have known his targets. Therefore, transfers should have been done and dusted and ready to sign on January 1st. McD said all along he wanted to do his business in easily January. So who is dragging their heels? BTW doubt if Harvey is helping much to speed things up at the FL end

14. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

Morning all <ok>

Leeds60, have you completed your move yet? Hope it all went well and your in good health <cheers>

Regarding the takeover, I'll be happy as soon as McDermott starts spending. I dont care if the paperwork takes a little longer as long as it doesnt hamper our transfer window and we get left behind again.

15. LeedsinYork

LeedsinYork Well-Known Member

Come on Eire get real, this doesn't happen in the real world. Transfers even for one player can take numerous meetings just to sort out a deal. So if chasing multiple targets it can take forever. Its not just a case of i want you now sign here please. McDermott has many other things to deal with besides getting players in.
    I'm not so sure two or three new signings are gonna turn us into promotion contenders anyway. It takes time to get a squad to gel and play how you want them to, only need to look at all the other big spenders in this division.
    As for Rochdale i would play
    Kenny (if fit)/Cairns
    Byram Warnock
    Peltier Zaluikas Wootton
    Tonge Brown Thompson
    Varney Hunt (if fit)
    Put Ross and co on the bench in case they are needed.
    A lot of changes but we need to rest the lads and if this team can't get a result we should pack up. Although a win is needed or the confidence could plummet. Hopefully we will have some pace added before the Wendies game.
    Oh and morning all.

16. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

If 6M has been invested and it ALL goes to transfere fund most decent players will want 3 year contracts @ a minimum 10k per week probably a lot more <ok> theres your 6m gone already ON YOUR 4 PLAYERS thats without any transfere fees being paid <yikes>

if you buy players costing 1m + each you can have 2 for 6 M thats not enough by McDs own admission..

you need at least 12m this January and somehow i dont think you have it .....

17. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

P.S. you can all start mass debating now im here <whistle>

oh well "whatever floats your boat" i guess <yikes>

18. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Leeds60 <ok> Have you got an update on Wells? because I believe that he will go to the highest bidder and it won't be us as £3m is being mentioned. Blackburn are stupid enough to pay it, but if he goes to QPR because of the wage deal, he'll spend a lot of time benchwarming

Blackburn have signed on a 3.5 year deal the Cardiff striker who scored against us and another prem player from Hull, Cairney on 3.5 years too.

19. Eireleeds1

Thats the point I was making. Clubs with proper cash, regardless of where they're getting it, clearly have the deals almost done when window opens. McD himself said he doesn't want to be scrapping around on last day of the window. Hope thats the case this time

20. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Eire <ok> theres nothing on NewsNow, not even rumours. The only stuff we do know is that Hull are releasing Stewart and we were speaking to him. Why hasn't that deal been done and dusted yet?

Huddersfield will spend more money than us this month, Wigan, Blackburn (2 deals done), Burnley, QPR, Leicester (Already done 2 deals) Reading, Middelsboro, Forest, Ipswich ....... we are going to be behind these clubs and the rest looking for scraps if we don't do something now. It would even be pointless to get involved later as we may as well write the season off again, and blood some kids rather than dross.